Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Western WA Winterizing Poll

First trailer and I'm thinking of taking it up to Stevens Pass for a few days a couple of times this winter season to take the family snow boarding and heading to the coast to catch some good storms. I'm on the fence on winterizing because we mostly have mild weather and rarely below freezing. I'm hooked up on a 30 amp plug when parked and have a ceramic heater. Cold days come could I hit the heat and feel safe? Glacier package so I have some protection and infloor heating ducts. I have also went around plugging all gaps with foam where areas were missed.

Am I being overly optimistic that I will make it thru the winter with no problems or have other Northwesterns done the same and skipped the winterizing and wished they did winterize?

Input greatly appreciated!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

I'm right across the water from you so I'm familiar with the environment. Personally, I would go ahead and winterize rather than take the chance. Your water heater won't be protected because it's exposed to the outside weather. Even though you have the Glacier package, your plumbing won't be protected in the basement unless you run your furnace. Your ceramic heater won't heat the basement and possibly other plumbing.

I've always winterized with compressed air and it generally takes me about half an hour. I end up winterizing 2 or 3 times a winter. I don't hesitate to go someplace like the ocean just because I'll have to winterize again.

Another option would be just to keep your eye on the temps. If it looks like the temps are going to dip below 28 or 29 degrees, then you could winterize. You just have to be careful to keep your eye on the forecast. For the record, I've seen 5 degrees in this area but that was 35+ years ago.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

Having lived on both sides of the mountains I agree with Hoppers4. Not only is the water heater exposed, but the outside shower, assuming you have one is also a concern. We saw some cold temps when we lived in Gig Harbor. Also a power outage would prevent using a space heater. Better to be safe than sorry...also freeze breaks happen in the worst places.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Couple key points to mention: Electric heaters work fine but as more heat is supplied from heaters, the less time your furnace will run. The furnace is the only heat source for areas below the floor. You can winterize your plumbing and still use the toilet by flushing using gallon water jugs as can you wash dishes the same way by heating water on the stove. By pass and drain the water heater and blow out the water lines and you're good to go no matter what happens outdoors.

With the water heater bypassed you could use the rest of the water system since you can blow out the lines in about 10 minutes if temps are going to dip over nite. BUT why would you risk doing $$$$ damage to your plumbing when you can use your TT in the winter without using the water systems. Easy enough to work around not dewinterizing and still use the potty and make your coffee.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! I will practice with the draining and blowing the lines so I can leave it drained and use it when needed or if weather permits. When I think of winterizing it tells ne no more camping until next spring...lol but I want to use it in the winter and we have plans to hit Ocean City for the New Year because it is on a Saturday night. My cousin owns a firework stand at boom city and I can call her anytime I want fireworks. So we're planning on picking some up and hitting the beach with the kids.

Im loving the trailer life and I anticipate every tripped plan cause I can't wait to hit the open road.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #6

I also live in Snohomish County. I always blow out my TT since temps in the teens are not uncommon. Those 2 weeks of arctic weather we get when highs only get to freezing would have me worried.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

Well thank you for all the responses. I think I may have more than one issue going on here. I believe I have figured out one of them. The winterizing line is definitely drawing in air through the cheap valve that is there . I also think the tight non supported non flex lines off the pump are causing some of the problems. It also appears that the pump is losing its prime perhaps due to the air problem allowing the water to drain. I will be speaking with the dealer this week and see where I get with this.
Mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote