Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

what are some good accessories to have in your camping?

I would like to pick peoples brains and use their exprience to help me get accessories for my new trailer, what works well, what people have found useful or a waste of money, i am open to all suggestions

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

I think most people would agree to the standard things; portable gas grill and stove, LED lights if you boondock, lots of command hooks, a ceramic heater, and electric mattress pad heaters, a bubble level to the TT’s nose.

What I think is more important are the little modifications to make the TT more usable, such as adding shelves, adding lights to cargo holds, adding command hooks to hang stuff. Removing false panels to make storage areas to store shoes, and the like.

Great camping and making your new TT a home away from home.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

I'd go through the forums and see what people did. You are going to get better answers that way then by hoping people will respond here.

I've been through the forums and saw many ideas I might not have thought of. I've also seen many ideas that I would NOT want to do. For example, someone replaced the bathroom door with a shower curtain. It fit well with their camper motif, but it is certainly not something I would have done.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

An extra 25ft 30 amp extension cord, and a 30 amp/50 amp adapter.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #5

Sewer ~ a section of 6"-8' square plastic fence post attached above your bumper with removable end cap for several sections of the best hose you can buy. All fittings and such stored in a separate Rubbermaid container some where. A sewer plastic 90 degree el at the end, with a sreight section attached to it,into/with a rubber cone it goes into to the campgrounds pipe to adapt all. A box of 100 the blue type plastic gloves, talc for you hands before putting them on, and a container of that hand dis-infect after its all done, a walmart plastic bag handy to put gloves and paper towel into to discard when full. A 30' Slinky,,, you can use it when its longer but if its not long enough,,,, ??? A clear section or elbow to watch the color of the black water tanks cleanness.

Fresh water ~ in a separate storage area, a 25' or 50' & a 15' section of water hose, with several Velcro straps,install a quick water connect at your trailer & its matching connector at the ends of other hoses. Supply of water hose gaskets, a squirt bottle of disinfect to spray on campgrounds hose connection, carry your own drinking water, a brass (not plastic) water pressure reducer.

A 12 gage 120V extension cord, a 25' coaxial TV hook up line for the outside hook-up, small bundle (50') of 1/4" nylon cord, 4 wheel chalks, 2 packages of plastic leveling blocks, 2 sections of treated 2 x 10 lumber 61/2' & a 6' cut at a 45 on one end, duct tape, electrical tape, volt meter, scissors, dry cell battery's, 2 or more flash lights, WD 40 & a can of pure silicon spray, fuses, paper pen & pencil, Battery power drill with 3/4" socket, dirty cloths bag/s, trash bags, tire gage, road flares or pulsing light, if a slide out, to clean its top off a extended handle with brush, a pair of walkey talkies, small tool set with screw drivers, paper towels, walmart bags, atlas, complete set of extra keys, trailer tong lock,

Any more,,,,,,
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #6

Just go camping, after a few trips you will know exactly what you and your family needs. We are all so different, what is a must for some, may seem like the silliest thing to others. Walk through a cg and look around, you will see exactly what I mean............Happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #7

So far an item I have used a lot and not found mentioned here is a extendable broom/paint stick with miultiple attachments. We have a small RV brush attachment which we use for washing, sweeping off the slides, sweeping the RV mat, campsite concrete etc. We also have that ball looking broom attachment for knocking of cob webs and such from the RV hitch hikers that attach while camping or to quickly clean a campsite table of same type critters. We also have a squeegy attackment that has also proven useful. All this takes up very little space as we hang the attachments in the big storage compartment.

The other item is para cord and Nite Ize figure 9 rope tightners. ( http://www.niteize.com/collection/Figure-9.asp ) These things make rope usage very easy for those that flunked knot tying 101.

Good quality LED flashlights. We have a local store that sells affordable high quality LED lights as well as other cool items. I have had really good luck with Fenix brand lights ( http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix_c_76.html ) The PD and TK series are really nice lights. Get a diffuser for using light as a room light.
Buy your supply of CR123 batteries from Lighthound as well, they have been the cheapest prices I can find.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

A must are some comfy outdoor chairs, outdoor matt, and outdoor collapsible trash can. As others have noted, after going out several times, you'll know what you'll need. Happy Camping!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

in-line water filter connected outside of camper so all of the water coming into camper is filtered.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
A must are some comfy outdoor chairs, outdoor matt, and outdoor collapsible trash can. As others have noted, after going out several times, you'll know what you'll need. Happy Camping!

See, that's one of the items I won't get again, a collapsible garbage can. I bought one in June as I thought it was a great lightweight space saver. It worked great all summer until this past Tuesday night, my lat night as the CG. I must have had a cat attack my can from all sides. hen I woke up for work in the morning there was garbage all over my site with the can ripped all over the place. I ended up just throwing the whole thing out, wasn't worth it.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
See, that's one of the items I won't get again, a collapsible garbage can. I bought one in June as I thought it was a great lightweight space saver. It worked great all summer until this past Tuesday night, my lat night as the CG. I must have had a cat attack my can from all sides. hen I woke up for work in the morning there was garbage all over my site with the can ripped all over the place. I ended up just throwing the whole thing out, wasn't worth it.
You cannot blame this on the garbage can. Campers should know not to leave garbage outside overnight. You either take it to the campground dumpster, lock it up in the back of your covered pickup or somewhere else. Even a metal can is fair game for critters unless you bungi the top on real tight. In my neck of the woods, you are asking for bear trouble by leaving garbage outside.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

We have had ours for at least 8 years, still new condition. What is the alternative?

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

wow awesome thanks, i never thought of some these items, thank you

Eli
Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

thank you every one for your imput
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #15

Some of these suggestions are great for a trash can we use some charcoal bins made by Kingsford the have a locking top also definitely bring along a 30 amp ex cord and adapters also good quality ex cords a tool kit is handy along with tape and bungee cords don’t skimp on sewer parts rain gear, pots & pans quality flash lights board games for those rainy days like they say go camping for a few times and you will find out what you need
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #16

Just about everything that you have in your home kitchen, should be duplicated for your camper. My next purchase is an inexpensive pot & pan set that strictly stays in the camper. I get tired of transfering after every trip. We do use cast iron on the fire as much as possible, but I have found myself cooking alot on the inside cooktop, too.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #17

A small step ladder (2 steps). I use it all the time.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #18

Accessories to have

A couple small folding tables for BBQ. A lighweght step ladder so I can wipe and dry my slideout off before I pull it in. Flush King and a short garden hose (10') or shorter to aid clean out of black water tank
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayleightucker View Post
Just go camping, after a few trips you will know exactly what you and your family needs. We are all so different, what is a must for some, may seem like the silliest thing to others. Walk through a cg and look around, you will see exactly what I mean............Happy camping!
Could not agree more! I shamelessly steal other people's ideas. Walking through the CG and looking at what other people do is one of my favorite parts of camping. I have found many great ideas by checking the MOD threads here in the forum, too.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #20

As stated above but more detail. I put a spiral notebook on a clipboard with pen for my first 2-4 outtings. Everytime I thought of "Gee I need a...." I wrote it down. Tear it off and head to the store. One item I have found SUPEr handy is a cordless dustbuster. We have all owned them in our house and never used it, then the battery went south and we threw it away. Well I use the heck out of mine. The dustbuster and small Swiffer and I can have my vinyl floors new in 10 min.

I put the dustbuster in the warddrobe cabinet above the power inverter. I added a small powerstrip in there so I gained some outlets and put the dustbuster mount and charger in that closet/wardrobe. I laugh at how much I use that thing.

A box of latex gloves has gone miles for both hooking up and unhooking (your going to bump that greasy ball or equalizer bar) and of course when stopping at the dump station. Pell em off and toss them in the trashcan and move along.

A sack/strip/pack of the variety pack of velcro straps. I use them for everything. Power cords, water lines, just keeps everything more manageable in the storage areas.

Greg

P.S. I kinda like my collapsible trash can. I also have the smaller one as a hamper in bedroom. :-)
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote