Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

What are your "must haves" and "nice to haves" for new small trailer?

Hello, I'm a lifetime camper in pop-up trailers and tents. Previously owned a pop-up.

This is my first post but I've read dozens of others here in the Jayco Owners Forums and learned a huge amount. Your experience and advice helped me choose my new, first travel trailer, so thanks very much!

I'll be picking up my new 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 145RB next week. Besides the pre-delivery inspection, the dealer's service department will replace the single LP rack with a double, and install the proper ball and mount on my Tahoe receiver.

Then the shopping fun begins!

I'm hoping you will help me make my list of all the essentials I'm going to need, and other extras that you have discovered that just makes set-up, take-down and camping easier.

For instance:

• Should I buy an LP tank cover?
  • I'm a petite, 58-year-old woman with zilch upper body strength and a bum R rotator cuff, so cranking things is not what I do best. Should I take my impact drill along to raise and lower the jacks? What bit do I need?
  • What freshwater hose and pressure regulator do you like? What other accessories, such as quick-release attachments, are useful?
  • My 10-pound dog is my camping buddy. What ideas do you have for her?
  • My first trip will be to Yellowstone in mid-April and May. I plan to winterize the plumbing for that trip, following suggestions elsewhere on the Forums. Any other considerations for cold-weather camping? (I won't tow in snow; if I encounter any, I'll wait it out.)
  • The trailer will be "stored" outdoors in a sunny, sometimes wet, sometimes hot climate in Northern California. Should I buy a cover?
  • What about security -- what needs a lock (or a better lock)?

Please note that this is a teeny trailer. Small tanks... small tires... wall A/C... limited storage. It has a decent-sized toilet and tub/shower.

Note: I did hunt for a sticky or other posts on this topic before posting a new thread. If I missed an existing thread, please point me to it.

I'm thrilled to be starting this new adventure, and I thank you for your generous support!!

Sylvia
SylviaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Team

I would recommend an LP tank cover, preferably the hard plastic type not the soft version. The ones with a door on top to access the tank valves are convenient.

You can use a drill to lower/raise the jacks, I think its a 3/4'' socket, you can buy an actual tool for this on Amazon etc.

Any white potable water hose should do. Mine are nothing special and do the job.

You will get answers both ways on using covers, some swear by them and others swear at them. I have never used one myself.

I would buy a coupler lock to at least keep honest thieves away.

Top ten must haves and so much more thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ting-5081.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaW View Post
Hello, I'm a lifetime camper in pop-up trailers and tents. Previously owned a pop-up.

This is my first post but I've read dozens of others here in the Jayco Owners Forums and learned a huge amount. Your experience and advice helped me choose my new, first travel trailer, so thanks very much!

I'll be picking up my new 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 145RB next week.
...snip...
I'm thrilled to be starting this new adventure, and I thank you for your generous support!!

Sylvia
Congratulations on the new Jay Flight and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

I bought a thin sheet of plexiglass at Home Depot and cut it to fit the bottom screen of the door to keep our little "angels" (devil daschunds) from scratching or tearing the screen.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Sylvia - I had my dealer put a screen door handle on. Not expensive, Camping World has them on sale for $12 (I bought it and he put it on for me). As others have said, it's a really nice simple addition (that I wouldn't be without now). Couldn't figure out how to copy the link but it says "Screen Door Cross Bar - Black Handle".
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

I don't think you will have a need for A/C but be aware that only one campground in Yellowstone has hookups.

You will need to get your own fresh water.. so a freshwater hose is essential. We also will carry 6 gallon jerry cans of water and a flexible funnel to avoid filling up our trailer water tankunder drinking water spigots

The other issue is disposal of the other end.. Some campgrounds do not have dump stations. You have a little rig and might want to tow it to a campground that does when the need arises. or use a wheeled tote ( we are not planning to get one .. till we find if we need one)

Because of the little blackwater tank and the omen of clogs with tp and the possible lack of flushing water facilities,( you essentially may be boondocking for a while) I would try to minimize use of your bathroom . We got a little birchbark basket lined with plastic bags to put our TP in so those are not a potential clog --even though the TP is one ply. Then we dispose of them as you would dirty diapers after a while.. throw a freshener in it too.

The six gallon jugs might be a hassle for you.

In your case energy budgeting is important. If you aren't running the AC you ought to be fine with the battery and propane..
Others can advise about two batteries.. if it is a good idea if you are in one place in a National Park for a week.

We have two of us in the slightly bigger 195 RB and opted for a Honda generator at 46 lbs. We will mostly be moving around but do plan a week in the Grand Canyon and a week possibly in Death Valley.. no hookups.

We have the same tank capacities as you and there are two of us. Our potty plan is only at night will we use ours. We are fine with outhouses and showers at campgrounds.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #7

I have found one of the things we use every time with my little companions 2 Chihuahua's is a small folding pen.

We arrive at destination set up pen first and put them in no need to wonder where they are while backing in and setting up.

We would not be without it!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Ditto on the wire screen enclosure. We have two for out 15lb pups.

Another must have is all the normal stuff for your doggie plus a supply of poop bags. Most all campgrounds require them and also it's common sense.

You should get a starter pack of accessories with your new rig. Some of it is basic but it will do until you start really thinking about it.

Welcome to JOF. Enjoy the rig, it will be more appreciated the first time it rains!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

[QUOTE=norty1;392399
Welcome to JOF. Enjoy the rig, it will be more appreciated the first time it rains!![/QUOTE]

Yup. I am tired of crawling out of a tent in a car campground at two wet am to go potty.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #10

It sounds like storage space may be at a premium, and simplicity would be in order, so I would recommend a Sewer Solution instead of a regular dump hose and hose support. They are $125 or so at Camping World.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #11

Not answering one of your questions but I would highly recommend a shakedown run in your camper before you head to Yellowstone. This gives you the chance to practice using the RV and more importantly, discover any problems that need attention before you are far away from home.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Welcome!!!!

If your new tt doesn't have one, power tongue jack!!!! Very nice when hitching/ unhitching!!!

X2 on a close trip to home before Yellowstone, or even Camp Driveway if allowed where you live!!! That way you know what you may need once in a trip.

Cordless drill/driver is nice just started using one myself, since our twin boys seemed to disappear and get out of helping this past season!!! Lol

Leveling boards/ cut long enough for both wheels to sit on (tandem axle, though your tt may be a single axle???). Have a few cut shorter with a 4x6 on top to place under the stabilizer jacks and tongue jack.

Any white hose will do as mentioned, though I look for a slightly nicer one with an easier to grip end than the "standard" hose end.

May need an extension cord the same size as the trailer power cord. Never know just where the electric hook up may be in relation to the site.

Wheel chocks!!!! Don't want the tt rolling away.

Electric heater when cooler out if you have electric hook up. Why only use the propane for the furnace??? You paid for the electricity with the site rental!!!

When arriving at the camp site, don't be afraid to get it and walk the area, looking everywhere, including above you!!!! And possibly ask a neighbor to spot you while backing in if needed. Speaking of backing, go hit a large parking lot after ours if possible to practice!!!! Buy a couple orange cones and practice making tunes going forward and backing up. Watch closely how and where the wheels of the tt track....

There is a ton more, just practice, and ask questions!!!

Good luck!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #13

We did a practice trip when we got ours. Went to a local koa cg for a weekend that was only 20 minutes from home just in case. Used all our equip to get familiar with it and talked to our neighbors for other suggestions and witnessed first hand what NOT to do. Bad neighbor trickle emptied his grey on the grass right next to the sewer!!!! Ugh SMH
pervinpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #14

Thanks, all, I would have posted this note of appreciation sooner but I just now found your replies. Apparently this forum doesn't alert you every time a new reply is posted. Only after the first one. So I thought no one but Crabman cared !

These are great ideas, every one of them.

This will be my umpteenth trip to Yellowstone and my third stay in this campground in April-May, so I'll be on familiar ground (but off the cold ground!).

I'm leaning toward completely dry camping this time, so I don't freeze-crack any fittings. The temps could be 20's or lower; when I was there in 2014, one morning it was 9.

So I'll carry water in 1-gal jugs from the spigot as needed. I (and the dog, who seems to be all bladder) can make it through the night without a bathroom run ... and I get up really early to photograph wildlife anyway.

What I'm truly looking forward to is having a place that is warm and has an indoor kitchen to come home to every night. What luxury!

I definitely will take a shakedown trip to a nearby CG before I head out to the wild. I will also practice backing up.

A generator for battery charging and electric heat is an interesting idea. Can anyone suggest a smallish one of good repute? Are they easier to pull-start than my lawnmower?

Sylvia
Old 04-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #15

SylviaW, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer! We had difficulty with our new trailer while hitching and unhitching from the TV (and there are 2 of us). If you can take the time to practice this with someone to help you, I would highly recommend it. Also, I couldn't imagine not having a power tongue jack. Ours came equipped with it, but it's an inexpensive upgrade to have installed. Have fun and happy glamping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #16

Generator thread
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...bie-30368.html

We have a 2000 watt Honda for our unit slightly bigger than yours. Not sure entirely if it will run A/C but that is not that big a deal for us

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

Patience and discipline are my suggestions to anyone who gets a new TT. It is so easy to buy stuff that at first looks cool and useful but in reality just ends up taking up valuable space. My wife and I keep a notebook in the camper. Any time we think that we need something or see an item we think we'd need or want we write it down. After a couple more trips if it hasn't come back up we take it off the list as being unnecessary. This helps us to keep from overloading the camper with stuff we don't really need.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #18

Welcome Sylvia and all the above suggestions are good ones. Just enjoy the trip and setup and don't rush through it. We have developed routines over the years and you will too but after having a power tongue jack for the first time on this unit I wouldn't do without one again.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Team

A "nice-to-have" is a set of bug screens for the fridge vents, water heater access door, and furnace outlet. The seem a little pricey at first, but they're worth it to keep unwanted bugs from building a home where you don't want one. Just a thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #20

Desert RVers, what were your problems with hitching and unhitching, and what suggestions do you have for me? Thanks!

Tags
accessories, plumbing, propane tank, tools