Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #1

What Axle Difference - Flight and Feather?

Is it true that Jay Flight models are equipped with heavier/beefier axles than Jay Feather Models? If so, what are the differences between the axles. Does anyone know the weight rating differences or any other important distinctions between the suspensions of the two models. I am most interested in the "full-size" Feathers for this, not the Feather 7's. Or maybe that does not matter if there are no suspension differences between the larger Feather and the Feather 7.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #2

Check the GVW ratings for models you are comparing and that will tell you which unit has "beefier" axles. The good news is that Jayco will have spec'd the axles according to the UVW and GVW for each trailer. I'm not sure the axle rating should be a primary selection criteria. Good luck with your search!
Psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdx View Post
Check the GVW ratings for models you are comparing and that will tell you which unit has "beefier" axles. The good news is that Jayco will have spec'd the axles according to the UVW and GVW for each trailer. I'm not sure the axle rating should be a primary selection criteria. Good luck with your search!
Thank you! I am interested in the axle ratings and any suspension design and capacity differences. Where would I find this information?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

It's quite easy...look at the number of wheel lug nuts. 6 lug are going to be heavier than 5 lug. Our 28 BHBE has 6 lug axles rated at 4400# each with a TT GCWR of 9250. On each TT there will be a white VIN tag on the front left corner. It gives the axle ratings, tire size and pressure and GCWR of the TT.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Site Team

I`m not sure there is a way to look up the axle ratings for them, just the CCC and GVWR. You would probably have to look at the yellow stickers on the trailers to see the axle ratings. Trailers with a larger CCC and GVWR would need beefier axles. The liteweights in many cases have a smaller CCC and GVWR to keep weights down so they do not use the heavier axles in those. In some cases they also use lighter frames as well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
All Jay Feathers have lightweight frames and TorFlex Axles
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
All Jay Feathers have lightweight frames and TorFlex Axles
That is interesting. Our 2016 Jay Feather 23RBM has straight axles with leaf springs. I did not think that torsion axles used leaf springs (?). Is this another version of the TorFlex? They look like typical leaf springs to me.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

In general the Jayflights will have heavier axles because Jayflight trailers are heavier than Jayfeather or SLX trailers. I'm not sure where exactly you can find that information online, but if you go to a dealer and look at the yellow sticker it will tell you the axle rating for that specific trailer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
That is interesting. Our 2016 Jay Feather 23RBM has straight axles with leaf springs. I did not think that torsion axles used leaf springs (?). Is this another version of the TorFlex? They look like typical leaf springs to me.
No, just too much of a generalization by @ALJO. Many Jay Feathers have Torflex axles, but certainly not all, nor all years for all models.

It's really just kind of armchair racing here. The GVW (dry plus CCC) is driven by the carrying capacity of the axle, or the tires, or the frame. And all three are generally matched. Jayco isn't going to use any heavier an axle than needed to get to their target weight for a given model.

Flights are heavier trailers in any given length, sometimes with heavier CCC, so they will need a heavier axle. You will also probably need a heavier tow vehicle for a given length of Jay Flight trailer over Jay Feather.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote