Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

What comes with the TT and what's extra when new?

Wondering what's included with the jayco TT when buying new. Like do the drain pipes for black and gray water come with it or they extra ? I would guess the power cord is extra ? Need to know what to ask for when I go to dealer. Try to get most of the stuff I need when I bargain for the TT. Just the stuff that make it functional and I would need right away.

Thanks.....
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2

The best place to get that info is the Jayco web site (http://www.jayco.com/). It shows the floor plans and what's standard and what's optional. Most dealer ready units are pretty decked out with lots of options.

Things like black/gray water drains and power cords are just part of the package because you really couldn't get the most out of the trailer without those basic needs. You'll need a drain hose for the sewer and a fresh water hose if your planning to camp where there are water hookups. Up until recently the spare tire was an option which I always thought was really weird.

For the most part, even if you ordered a "base" unit its ready to go with the important things you need. But don't be afraid to ask questions either here or at the dealer. In fact more questions at the dealer is better so that you are very comfortable with your purchase. Also make sure to really take the time to inspect any unit your are interested in so you can see what you might want to buy to enhance your camping experience.

What I would strongly recommend at this point is that you learn everything you can about your truck's towing capabilities. Its not just the towing capacity, but also GCWR (gross combined weight rating, how much truck, trailer, people, and things can weigh in total), tongue weight limit, axle capacity, and payload. For example, if your truck's tow capacity is listed at 8000# you don't want to buy an 8000# trailer. That would be a big and expensive mistake. In some cases an 8000# trailer's tongue weight will exceed the hitch limit on a 1/2 ton, and most certainly it will eat up a good portion of the truck's payload.

So the other numbers I mentioned play an important factor in determining how much trailer you can comfortably tow. I know this is complex, but it's important for your safety and the longevity of your truck.

The more "reserve" capacity" you leave yourself, the better your towing experience will be.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Normally (around here anyways), a dealer will include a "ready to camp" package which would include the slinky sewer drain hose, and other misc. stuff. It should come with a section of shore power cord, but you may want to purchase an additional section, just in case the shore power box at the cg is a ways away. Some of the other things you may want to make sure come with the camper are stabilizer jacks (I prefer the perminatly mounted kind), and awning (again something perminatly mounted to the side of the camper), and a lead free (normally white) city water hose.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

If you asking what I think your asking then you will need to purchase a few extra things to be able to camp. Most new trailers do come with a "starter" package, but most of those things are pretty cheap. But to be able to pull into a campground and spend the weekend you will need at least a minimum of these few items.

1. Water hose. (But recommend, water filter, pressure regulator)
2. Dump hose.
3. Propane
4. Chocks and level blocks

Everything else with the exception of bedding, food, drink, kitchenware and entertainment are secondary.

You will end up with a very long list of things that you will need. Especially in the kitchen and bedding department but to basically go from the dealers lot to the campground you will need at a minimum those things listed. I am sure that I have missed a few things which I bet a few more member posts will help to remind us..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Most dealers I have dealt with include a beginners package with basic stuff for dumping sewer and hooking up water.
You will want a better grade but experience is the best teacher of what you need Vs what you want.
Power cord is std with the rig.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

When u say power cord u mean to plug the whole trailer into shore power? That isn't an option they all come with that. It's hard wired. I think it's supposed to be around 25 ft or so from reading on here. I have only camped in our new trailer 2x and it was more than enough. Mine didn't come with any sewer or fresh water hoses/equip. I didn't buy those from the dealer because it was cheaper online. I also bought a progressive industries power/surge protector or whatever it's called. It plugs into the post at the campsite and your trailers power cord plugs into it.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The best place to get that info is the Jayco web site (http://www.jayco.com/). It shows the floor plans and what's standard and what's optional. Most dealer ready units are pretty decked out with lots of options.

Things like black/gray water drains and power cords are just part of the package because you really couldn't get the most out of the trailer without those basic needs. Up until recently the spare tire was an option which I always thought was really weird.

For the most part, even if you ordered a "base" unit its ready to go with the important things you need. But don't be afraid to ask questions either here or at the dealer. In fact more questions at the dealer is better so that you are very comfortable with your purchase.

What I would strongly recommend at this point is that you learn everything you can about your truck's towing capabilities. Its not just the towing capacity, but also GCWR (gross combined weight rating, how much truck, trailer, people, and things can weigh in total), tongue weight limit, axle capacity, and payload. For example, if your truck's tow capacity is listed at 8000# you don't want to buy an 8000# trailer. That would be a big and expensive mistake. In some cases an 8000# trailer's tongue weight will exceed the hitch limit on a 1/2 ton, and most certainly it will eat up a good portion of the truck's payload.

So the other numbers I mentioned play an important factor in determining how much trailer you can comfortably tow. I know this is complex, but it's important for your safety and the longevity of your truck.

The more "reserve" capacity" you leave yourself, the better your towing experience will be.
Thanks good idea with the site I will check it out. As for the capabilities of my truck I have been all over it since before I bought it and got a good understanding on how the weights work. The one I didn't realize right away was the tongue weight takes away your payload. I have done a lot of towing with boats and stuff just nothing as bulky as a TT. The dry weight of the trailer I'm looking at is 4500 lbs so lots of room for the ram . I'm good for 9950 lbs towing. Want to keep it down well below the max. Thanks.

The stabilizer jack I will keep in mind need them on all corners !! Water hose to is good. Thanks guys !!
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #8

Most dealers will include everything you need to start camping with including propane, how else can you check that the furnace and fridge works using propane.

I would upgrade the sewer hose right away as the one that they include is garbage generally. I would also consider a good surge protector as well. Pressure regulator for your water and a fresh water hose. You will need at a bare minimum some tools such as a pair of pliers to tighten the water heater drain plug, a level to ensure your camper is level when camping in it! A hammer, a small axe, screwdrivers, matches/lighter and a sense of humour!

Many dealers will try to sell you on camping toilet paper.....not required just search on here and you will find a test to see what kind you can use.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

It is all part of the deal. Ask the dealer what you need. Jayco doesn't provide much besides the shore power cable. Normally you will need to buy toilet paper, black water tank chemicals, fresh water hoses, sewer hoses, sewer donut, water pressure regulator, leveling blocks, vent covers, wheel chocks, etc.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Site Team

One thing to verify is that the battery is included in the deal. Some dealers charge extra for the 12v battery.
Also most will fill the propane as part of the deal.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #11

Just to be clear, as others have said the dealer may provide a cheap sewer hose which you should replace with a higher quality product. But you'll need fittings for each end, to hook to your sewer outlet on the camper and to fit into the park's sewer. Here's what they look like. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39543-Tw...sewer+fittings

Keep your black water valve closed so solids don't have a chance to dry up and cause problems. On a short trip you might leave your grey closed also so you'll have water to flush the hose after you dump the black.

You might want a 15 Amp Male Plug To 30 Amp RV Female Connector RV Adapter in case you want power at home.

If you go to a commercial campground like KOA or a Good Sams you may want to take coax if they have cable TV.

Lots of the stuff that has been suggested can be purchased at Walmart for quite a bit less than most dealers are going to charge you. Most of it is made by the same few manufacturers.

You'll find that your fellow campers will be glad to loan you stuff in an emergency, along with plenty of advice. Happy camping!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
One thing to verify is that the battery is included in the deal. Some dealers charge extra for the 12v battery.
Also most will fill the propane as part of the deal.
My dealer didn't include a battery. My question to him was then the trailer is not road worthy as you said it would be. In Illinois, you MUST have safety brakes which are activated on the breakaway switch, but you NEED the battery to do so. they finally put one in.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #13

My 32rlds came with a interstate battery and a really nice 50 amp cord and 30 amp adaptor. My camper also came with a small care package that included a water and sewer hose, pressure regulator, toilet paper, and other various samples. Supposedly my dealer threw in the a 14k equalizer hitch and break controller installed "at no additional cost". I replaced the hoses first trip out and bought a surge protector as well. $1000 dollars later we have the camper about were we just show up with the coolers and clothes and head to vacation.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #14

As others have noted, a sewer hose and a fresh water hose of some sort is pretty much required. You may get a "starter kit" from the dealer with inexpensive versions of those required items. Be proactive and ASK what comes with the trailer as part of your deal.

Use those starter items, go camping and form some opinions on what you would best use for the camping you do. Maybe a 5 foot water hose is all you ever need. Maybe you need 50' every time! WalMart is a great place to get moderate cost RV items in a location that may be close to your home.

On the sewer side, I want to point out that there is, for many campers, a better sewer hose arangement, called "the Sewer Solution". It does not look like the 3" stinkey slinky most use, for a very good reason. Here is a short YT video on it:
http://youtu.be/dsdfUXoOxrw

I used one for 15 years with three different trailers, sold it with my last trailer and bought a new one for use with my current unit. They are now made by Valterra and make a simple, easy to use, clean and tidy way to dump your tanks. The system is easy to store and by using lengths of 1" PVC pipe (that you can store in your bumper) you can pump your waste (it does not use gravity) up to 60 feet away from your sewer outlet. Try that with the stinkey slinky! Have a look and see what you think.

Cheers!
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote