Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
We do like clubhouse, just add clothes, food and drink.

On longer trips we will add generator(s) 120v air compressor, gas can for generators.

Use only paper plates and eat out some.

Our panty in our stick house will feed us easily for 30 days. I have a lot of stuff, having lived in the same house for 35 years. Have some stuff, tools etc. in the trailer and truck, but try to keep it reasonable.

The older you get (we are 70+) the more security oriented you become, which includes self sufficiency for living in your house if the power goes out, et. al.
My two car garage is nothing but a workshop; no cars ever in there.

So, have to try hard not to duplicate that on the road!

2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre DoubleCab
6 speed, 4.30 Limited Slip, Tow Package
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Hahaha....and here I thought it was only me who had a trailer full of weird, emergency stuff that I will never use -- I hope. It sure gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know it's there if I ever need it though. Glad to know that I am a "normal" camper. Drinks are on me.
Happy RVing,

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite
2009 F150 Supercab, 5.4L ,3.73, HD Tow Package, Equal-i-zer 1K,
Progressive EMS-LCHW30, TST 507RV TPMS, Hydro Life HL-200, Maxxis 8008.
Best friend wife and dog Cooper. RETIRED 6/30/16. WOOHOO! Now the "endless summer" begins.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV?

Buy a new one and have to empty the old!

2015 White Hawk 20MRB
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV?

Buy a new one and have to empty the old!

Too funny, before I got to your post and as I was reading, I thought, I'll find out this weekend when I move it all to the new camper.
2015 Jay Flight 31 RLDS
2015 F250, Reese straightline
Ham Lic: W4TFB
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV? Buy a new one and have to empty the old! Murff
Exactly why we'll probably keep this one 'til the wheels fall off!
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
We kept three lists: immediate need / may need / dream items
We still refer to that listing, and we've marked some of those items off as we either get them or rethink them, and some we've bumped down on priority.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #17
we have a brand new jayco in the drive way...first trip is over memorial day
we traded in a Viking pop up (plus lots of cash lol)

I emptied out the pop up and was horrified at how much crap we had in it...1/2 of it is still in garage waiting to be thrown out or given away...the other 1/2 is in the jayco...

there are things that were bought, thrown in storage bin, and NEVER used...
its crazy...with a tt, storage is more accessable so I don't see us doing this to the degree we did with the pop up...but my wife has been buying lots of "stuff" for it...including all new bedding...its good fun...expensive but good
2006 FORD F-150 (4X4, CREW CAB)
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
We too are starting to empty the PUP of things we know we won't need on our last trip in it, but the truth is that at one time or another we have used most of the stuff we store in the camper. Some of our trips are just out-in-the-woods camping; some are around to Highland Games, where we hold a booth for our Scottish clan; some are overnights on the way somewhere. All these "ways of camping" require different stuff. We don't take any computer but our phones, so we have travel games with us (Boggle, Scrabble, cards). We carry extra camera and lantern batteries; we have candles (tea lights, votives, and some battery pillars for decoration). We carry extra shoes, usually old gym shoes that are no longer fit for the treadmill but still good enough for casual walking. Not yet finding too much that we just never, ever, used and are wondering why it's there.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
As I'm reading these posts thinking of all the items in our trailer, about the only thing I can think of doing away with is the set of ceramic coffee mugs. They came with our Corelle dish set we bought specifically for the trailer. We use the dishes a lot, (and paper plates too) but very rarely ever use the coffee mugs since we have travel mugs and a couple insulated mugs. But they'll stay for the odd occasion when we have a guest.

I carry many things, some of which may be considered "excessive" (like my entire mechanic's tool set with added tools). But like some others here have said, I would rather have it and not need it...

And if you took all that stuff and piled it up together, it might weigh 100 lbs (and that's GENEROUS) and take up MAYBE half of the front pass-thru storage. Much of it is small stuff like bulbs and fuses, and I think it's foolish to travel without at least one complete set of fuses (and don't forget about those needed for the truck).

I would say that if I were going to completely inventory my entire trailer, I would end up with maybe a handful of things that would get weeded out. But now that I think of it, perhaps an inventory is a good exercise. There have been times when I thought I needed something, but I already had something that would work. But then I try to ensure everything has as many different uses as possible, hence the Gorilla tape, zip ties, paracord, and basic tool kit that I keep in the cabinet by the door.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #20
I have in mine what my dad had in the family trailer growing up
-Clothes line (sometimes used)
-bucket/ax/shovel 'cause smokey the bear said so (now really only use the ax)
- cast iron skillet, griddle for open fire cooking (still carry them, but haven't used them in years)
- propane lantern (I would hate to get rid of my expensive model, but LED lanterns would probably be less bulky and just as bright)
- too many dishes/pots/pans (we got ours at goodwill, so they don't really stack together)

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote