Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

What do you use to clean out after trip

So we went on our last trip for the season this past weekend. Well as usual the wife really stocked us with food. When we get back from our trip and its time to empty the fridge, cabinets etc. I grab one of my wife's laundry baskets and empty the fridge first, one trip in then the cabinets and so forth right down to the clothes. How do others empty the camper.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

We use crates from home depot, in various sizes. My wife gets a 'reward' when she over stocks the camper lol. I love knowing we won't run out of food, we usually pack 3 times more than we need and eat better when were camping than we do here. Honestly though, 90% of the stuff in our camper stays in there permanently, other than food of course.

We're currently buying clothes for the camper too. The goal for us is for it to be a fully stocked home. One of my requirements is to be able to pull it out of storage, and into service within an hour. It's part of our larger 'disaster management' planning. i.e. prepping. For the fridge / freezer - 2 decent sized crates usually takes care of it. We leave both doors cracked and have some baking soda packs in there to absorb anything potentially smelly.

I guess laundry baskets would work, but the ones we own aren't strong enough to hold 50 lbs of 'stuff' so that would add time to our process.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

31 bags. If you don't know what they are ask your wife. If she doesn't know consider yourself lucky!

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

We only empty the fridge and any perishables usually in simple grocery bags.. Everything else stays.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

We don't camp enough to keep any perishable food stocked, so winterizing consists of removing some spices, oil etc. We removed most fabric items like towels etc. Removed anything paper that might get damaged by cold/moisture (books, cards, Kleenex, PT and TP). I remove the fire extinguisher and water filter cartridge as well. All this gets packed away into our large cooler and stored in the basement until spring. FWIW, that is the only thing we still use our large cooler for now that we're no longer in a pup.
The other 90% of the gear remains ready for next year. I also pack extras back INTO the TT for the winter. Our kayaks and associated gear are nestled inside the camper. I also store the propane tanks inside the TT for the winter (less exposure and rust). The battery comes home after final parking to stay on a trickle charger for the winter (turn it on about monthly).
We will generally spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon in the spring getting everything ready again for the next outing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

31 bags. If you don't know what they are ask your wife. If she doesn't know consider yourself lucky!

31 bags don't even get me started. DW has one of every size and pattern.
my daughter sells and she's he major client..
troutcamper
troutcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

We use re-useable grocery bags mostly for our groceries. DW also has some of those organizer bins she uses to transport our normal fridge stuff. Our dirty laundry goes in a hanging hamper throughout the trip, so that just comes in as-is. Our leftover clean clothes and whatnot get thrown over an arm or go back in the duffle they came from. Our linens get tossed in a laundry basket for washing. 3 or 4 trips at most and we've got the trailer completely empty. If we make more trips, it's usually because we forgot something, and that goes both ways (packing and unpacking)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

I am a bag lady so watch it guys! How we unpack depends on where we are camping and the time of the year. We usually leave the RV at the beach all summer, full hookup and use it like a beach house so nothing comes home during the week except laundry and clothes we use. When do we bring the camper home, a laundry basket to empty the refrigerator. Clothes - depending on what it is, some stays in the camper. DH could leave town without ever packing. His side is ready to go at a moments notice and has a camping/beach wardrobe he leaves in the camper. Food items like spices, flour, sugar, staples we just leave in the camper and I buy new or refill at the beginning of the summer each year. But they always stay in the camper all year. After beach season, we go camping in NC in the fall and maybe a couple of weekends in FL in the winter. So we unload the refrigerator in between trips. We do have full hookup in our backyard and since we are Florida we leave the AC set high to keep the moisture out. We have a second kitchen and linen closet totally equipped in the camper so these items are never removed. If it is a long period of time between trips, I put the clean towels, sheets and blankets etc back in the camper and store in those jumbo ziplock bags with a dryer cloth inside. It keeps them nice and fresh when ready to use again. We leave chairs, tables, grill, rug etc in the camper year round. Since it is a trailer we use it like a trailer when traveling or storage when not in use. We just put these items inside the living area and drape a sheet over the bed and pile on top.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
BCK

We also use laundry baskets to load and unload. We keep the tt fully stocked as well except for clothing and perishables. On the last load out the laundry basket goes into the bathtub and becomes the first load in full of dirty clothing when we get home.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

Are Pringles considered perishable? I heard they have a 500,000 year half-life.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

We use the plastic totes with the interlocking hinged lids. They are clear so we can get a relatively good idea whats in them, and they stack well in the garage. They are pretty durable and hold a considerable amount of stuff.

Like Bansai said, we are trying to stock the camper as a "Second home" with the exception of food. We are not quite there just yet but making steady progress.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

Plastic cates and Rubbermaid totes for the bigger stuff. We take out all perishables (obviously), all the bedding and towels, anything freezable, and any batteries from the remotes and detectors. After the cleaning and winterizing, it pretty much takes an afternoon to do.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

What we take out only requires about 15-30 minutes. Remaining clean clothes, dirty clothes, and food (except that which we leave in between trips, which means tea and coffee bags, granola bars, unopened crackers, and spices) all come out quickly. Electronics come out. But the MH has its own tools, pots and pans, dishes and glasses, gadgets and repair supplies, and some clothing. So, it's pretty easy. Helps that we have a year-round RV season. No need to winterize or batten down the hatches. But it also means the darn thing needs to be washed and maintained year-round as well.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

We use plastic grocery bags for food hauling in and out, and I always use the bottom drawers of the fridge for cold food, so we can wash those out at the same time. Dirty clothes are in their own mesh bag, and clean clothes just get stacked and carried. It's about a one-hour project max.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

All we take out is clothes [dirty and clean] and food in fridge. Camper is always ready to go.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #16

Laundry basket we found works the best. Sometimes right from the store straight to camper food goes. Once I get more black top done I'll be able to load a cart and go door to door

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #17

Plastic grocery bags for loading and unloading.

I keep a stash of them on board. They make great trash can liners too!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #18

We emptied fridge and all food items from the cabinets and brought the stuff home. We also put everything in plastic totes with lids including all the dishes, utensils, pots and pans and left them in the rig.
Over kill I know, but the DW fears critters may crawl all over the stuff during the winter, so she puts EVERYTHING in sealed totes.
We brought all the linens and summer clothes home as well. We have a late fall/winter caribbean trip coming up so we'll need some of the summer clothes.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #19

The TT is stocked like a second home we will be visiting in a week.

After just a routine campout, cleanout is quick and easy. First my DW grabs the full laundry basket full of dirty cloths, as I am parking the truck, and removing the hitch. Bring that in dump it out, start a load of laundry. Bring the basket out, fill it with the refrigerated items (we turn the frig off between trips). Bring it in and put it all away. Grab the cloth boxes from the closet, bring them in. Next bring in any special items we might have brought along. Within about 30 minutes of unhooking everything is in the house and put away. If the kid does not help or we are putzing it might take us an hour to off load, but usually we just want to get it done. Most of the cabinets do not get off loaded, all of our pots pans, utensils, and the like stay in the HTT year round. Nonperishables stay in their cabinets until they are needed, or until the of the season. We never store any food items in the TT over the winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
Yup. 31 bags for us too. They are the handiest darn things for packing and unpacking the TT.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote