Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

What Generator will run my AC

Hi there,

I just bought a 32BHDS without the AC upgrade so I'm guessing it's the 13,500 AC.
I'm looking at buying a generator but want it to run my AC.
Does anyone have a Yamaha EF2400iSHC, just wondering if it will run a Jayco AC.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
plav77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

You will need at least 3000 watts, Starting the AC unit requires the most wattage.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

I start and run my 13.5k btu Coleman AC with my Honda EU3000is in eco mode. I did replace the tiny hard start capacitor with a better unit and it helped, but was able to run it without the upgrade as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
snip...... Does anyone have a Yamaha EF2400iSHC, just wondering if it will run a Jayco AC.....snip
Yes, I do and it runs my single 13.5 A/C just fine. The following link provides a little more detail on my genny:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...maha+generator

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

Hi Bob -- first, I hope your trip from TX to MI went well ... as I recall, you traveled during the time the midwest got hit with massive rains. In any event, hope you didn't encounter any bad weather situations. Here in WI, we are finally experiencing warmer weather, which means time for working on the TT and going camping!

second, I don't mean to hijack this thread into Honda vs Yamaha, but I was curious as to why you chose a Yamaha over a Honda? Were there certain specs that pushed you into the Yamaha?

third, when using your generator, what sort of connection do you have between the generator and your trailer to avoid the open ground fault with the Progressive surge protector ("PI-EMS")? I haven't fully studied this issue primarily because I don't have a generator yet, but I was wondering if you simply created a short pig tail adapter that bonds the neutral with the ground, or if you used jumper wires in the PI-EMS itself to create a bypass mode?

fourth, regarding the pic of your Yamaha, are you running the Yamaha off propane?

and fifth, do you have your PI-EMS set to a 136 second time delay instead of the default 15 seconds? I think I recall you recommending that this should be done with respect to the AC unit.

Thanks, Greg.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Greg,

I did a slow crawl back to Michigan, just pulled in a couple of days ago so I avoided the Midwest rains.

Yamaha/Honda: I wanted the ability to run my 13.5 A/C....., and the Yamaha 2400 weighed less, smaller size, and less expensive than the Honda 3000. In all other respects I would rate the Honda and Yamaha as the same.

Propane: The genny isn't running off propane, what you might be seeing in the pic (link in prior post) is my Harley heavy duty flexible cable lock wrapped around the TT's A-frame and genny.

The PI-EMS open ground fault and a "non-bonded" genny: I went with a modified male plug end and plugged it into the genny receptacle next to the pig tail going to the TT. Basically did the following:

Time delay...., here is snip from a prior JOF thread of mine on the subject:

"PI-EMS and A/C Compressor Time Delay:

I spoke with a service tech at RV Products this morning, they are the manufacture of the Coleman Mach A/C's. I provided him with the technical data from the PI EMS installation instructions on the subject of A/C time delay, and his recommendation was to go with the EMS's 136 second time delay option (in lieu of the EMS default 15 seconds).

He stated that the Colman Mach time delay of 3 minutes resides within all Coleman Mach wall thermostats, not within the roof top A/C unit. He felt that the EMS would provide some time delay protection at the A/C compressor in the event that the wall thermostat had power (12VDC), but there was an electrical event (120V) taking place at the roof A/C unit itself. At least this was what I walked away with from the phone conversation.

Hunter Digital Thermostat upgrade:

The Coleman Mach representative confirmed that "all" Coleman Mach thermostats have a 3 minute time delay (digital or otherwise), but when I installed my EMS I didn't know if my upgraded "Hunter" digital thermostat had a time delay.

I dug out my Hunter documentation and did confirm that it does in fact have a 3.5 minute time delay after shutting off the cooling system before it can be restarted. The Hunter document went on to say that this time delay feature will prevent damage to the A/C compressor caused by rapid cycling.

IMPORTANT: The Hunter document also stated that the thermostat the time delay feature "does not prevent a rapid compressor restart due to a short power outages". I can only assume this is why the Coleman Mach tech recommended using the EMS 136 second time delay option."

Reference thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?6896-EMS-Hardwire-Install/page3&highlight=open+ground+fault"]: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...n+ground+fault[/URL]

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

I bought the Honda EU3000iS last fall, anticipating buying the new TT this year. I bought this adapter for about $12 on Amazon:

Reliance Controls AP31RV 30 Amp L5-30 to RV Generator Power Adapter Plug

It fits the Honda's locking plug perfectly; and it runs the new TT just fine, including the 15,000 (upgraded) AC. Have not tried running the microwave at the same time, don't want to push it! And, I don't see any need to use a surge protector on it. (I will use one when tied into somebody else's shore power, though.)

A buddy has the same generator, he got his 6 years ago. We use it at least twice a month to run his 16' cargo trailer, which is a mobile knife sharpening workshop. It powers everything flawlessly for 7-8 hours on a little more than a half tank of gas. Some of our customers comment on "how quiet that generator is!"

Go here to see how we sharpen knives:

http://www.roysknifesharpening.com/RKS/Procedure.html

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
Hi there,

I just bought a 32BHDS without the AC upgrade so I'm guessing it's the 13,500 AC.
I'm looking at buying a generator but want it to run my AC.
Does anyone have a Yamaha EF2400iSHC, just wondering if it will run a Jayco AC.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
Our previous camper had the 13.5 K and our Yamaha EF2400iSHC did run the AC. Only thing I had to do was wait about 5 or 10 minutes after starting the Gen before I tried the AC and it started every time.
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Bob -- thanks for the info; very helpful. Does the attached pic correctly depict your plug-in situation for the genny as you described it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha2400_markup.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	7650

The PI-EMS thread you posted about the time delay was the one I remembered; thanks digging that up.

Ah, ok, I understand the use of the heavy duty cable (assume nothing; trust no one). The reason I asked about propane is because I'm considering that as a mod to the genny. However, I'm undecided because genny use is typically not allowed in WI State Parks. Aside from the AC unit issue, for these types of parks, if I were to approach 50-60% battery capacity, I could remove the batteries and charge outside the park with the genny. In that case, gas, rather than propane, would be easier. However, I'd prefer to dedicate the genny solely to propane, that way I wouldn't have to worry about gas supply or gas fumes (I would store the genny in the TT or back of suburban when not using). In any event, I need to give this some more thought. I understand your point about the Yamaha 2400 (75#) weighing less than the Honda eu3000i (134#). I have used the Honda eu2000i in the past (but not to run the AC unit) and I'm not too keen on having to lug around two (2) gennies (ie, adding another Honda 2000 wired in parallel) to run the AC unit (mine is also 13.5 btu).

Once again, thanks.
Greg
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
snip...... Does the attached pic correctly depict your plug-in situation for the genny as you described it? ....snip
Yes.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #11

I just started the 15K unit with my Yamaha 2400 iSHC. I started the Gen and turned the AC fan only on and waited about 10 minutes before I switched it to AC. The Gen reved up and the AC started. It was about 75 degrees out so I dont know if it will work when it gets warmer..
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote