Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

What Happens When You Let a Friend Help Hook Up

BIG LESSON LEARNED. Friend helped my husband hook up this last weekend. While he was having a cool beer we noticed water flooding out of roof coming down all 4 corner spouts. We quickly turned off h2o supply while we tried to figure out what the he** just happened. Went inside to find half of trailer flooded. Clearly coming out of bathroom. Strangely, bathroom door was stuck shut. As I swept out water we had 3 men trying to get bathroom door open.

Our friend accidentally hooked city water to our black tank. So it filled tank, spit out an overfill spout I guess(?) at roof and also overflowed the toilet. LUCKILY the tank was clean.. Apparently the full tank put pressure on the bathroom door which made it stick. After having to break the knob, door finally opened after draining tank. Never let your friends help with a trailer they are not familiar with or at the very least double check what they do!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Oh geeze. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a real mess.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks. What stinks is that we take such pristine care of this trailer that we bought brand new 2 years ago. To have it flooded, by poo poo water no less, well, there's no words. Praying no water damage to things we can not see or get to.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Take photo of where he hooked up by mistake and where he should have hooked up. I am unable to hook up to my black tank with a hose

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #5

I know what you mean about the black tank water. That would really bother me too. I showed your post to my wife and she said "i guess we would be getting a new trailer, it would never be clean enough for you".
Old 07-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
Take photo of where he hooked up by mistake and where he should have hooked up. I am unable to hook up to my black tank with a hose

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Here is a photo I have but you can't see words. It's the connection right next to (on left) where the city water is hooked up. It's basically a black tank flush hole and it clearly says to never insert water there unless black tank valve is open.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

Dan-Phyllis, Our friend felt so bad that he got on his hands and knees and mopped and scrubbed our floor with bleach. Fortunately tank was fresh as we had not used it since our last dump. No debris. 😉

Old 07-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

Had a similar problem with my SILs trailer last weekend. She pulled in late, and you can't get to the bathroom with the slide in. We hooked up, and noticed water coming out from under the kitchen slide. Get into the trailer, and water everywhere. Water turned off, and slides out we find the bathroom sink faucet left on with the stopper in the sink! She called and cussed at BIL. At least it was just water, but we used all towels from both trailers to mop it up, and she borrowed a fan from the camp hosts to dry it out. We put more towels in when we got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Ours wasn't that bad but similar. I hooked up our blank flush and began to flush out the tank. After a few minutes I noticed water dripping out of different spots of the bottom of the trailer. Luckily the wife was inside and came out to tell me the trailer was flooding. The plastic ASV apparently decided to fail and blow water all over the trailer.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #10

Nightmare material, awful news. While it is advised to dump that tank when full, I need to read that part of the manual closely when I take delivery this month. Runs fans big time to dry it completely.
wabirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Nightmare material, awful news. While it is advised to dump that tank when full, I need to read that part of the manual closely when I take delivery this month. Runs fans big time to dry it completely.
Tank was dumped. Person hooked city water to wrong place and filled up the tank!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #12

Wow I have a 2007 Jay feather light 29X .it doesn't have the ability to hook a hose to flush the tank. But looking at trading for a newer one.. This is something I will have to warn the kids and double check . Might even reverse thread it so that is can not happen

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
Ours wasn't that bad but similar. I hooked up our blank flush and began to flush out the tank. After a few minutes I noticed water dripping out of different spots of the bottom of the trailer. Luckily the wife was inside and came out to tell me the trailer was flooding. The plastic ASV apparently decided to fail and blow water all over the trailer.
Ditto on the flush backflow valve failure. Pretty much the same experience and blew fresh water under the vanity out under the shower to the pantry, Also into the bedroom and front salon kidchen island. After drying up everything I purchased the damp absorbson stuff at home depo and placed a tub under the shower. the island, and pantry where the water heater is located. Dried things good and won't use the flush until I remove the valve and reconnect the line without a valve. Haven"t done the mod yet because its a pain to do the plumbing in the combined area under the bath sink.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
I know what you mean about the black tank water. That would really bother me too. I showed your post to my wife and she said "i guess we would be getting a new trailer, it would never be clean enough for you".

Yep my less than two year old camper would be for sale/traded in. My wife says I'm OCD. I just think I'm particular lol... my friends and family we camp with are like me in the sense that we have our routine and we don't like help.

OP, glad you got it cleaned up so quickly and I'm sure there is no permanent damage...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #15

Black tank disaster

I can truly sympathize six months into owning our trailer I was flushing the black tank. I would fill it with water for about five minutes with the gate closed drain it and repeat. Well I got distracted and went to take a shower at the park and left the water running. My wife contacted me screaming that there was water coming in under the bathroom door. Rather than the water going up to stack which it should have like yours did our black tank collapsed off the rails and fell to the ground but not before a fair amount of water came up through the toilet . Jayco did replace the tank under warranty but we had to go five weeks without a toilet while we were living in the trailer. Many long walks to the resort restrooms made us fully appreciate a working bathroom in our trailer .
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #16

This is exactly why I don't let anyone help me with setup or break down. I have a routine and prefer to do it all myself. I'd rather offend a friend or family member then have someone do something to possibly damage my trailer. Very sorry for your trouble...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #17

On the back of my 28BHBE, the City Water and the Black Tank Flush are about 6" apart. City Water has a big label. Black tank just had a small label saying Black Flush.
NOW, There is a BIG LABEL saying WARNING.. BLACK TANK FLUSH.
When I am cleaning out the black tank, EVERYONE in my family knows to leave me alone until I am done.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote