Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Angry What I learned Backup camera's wireless v wired

So a while back I posted about wanting a backup camera' I was adamant that I needed it to be wireless despite some here warning me to look into wired. I'm writing this to acknowledge the error in my ways and hopefully help others from doing what I did. I'll start by saying my wireless unit may have been defective so others might have better luck. I bought the camera for $350 from rear view safety after reading a lot of reviews. I had my RV dealer install it tying into the electric of one of the running lights. This means they drilled a hole in the back of my new camper. The camera worked initially but as soon as we passed 20mph the picture would be gone. This meant it was only good for backing up and I also wanted it to be useful for lane changes like a rear view mirror. I called the company and they sent out range extenders. This actually made things worse. We then had no picture or signal at all. I call them and they offer to send out a new unit. I opt for wired thinking wireless wasn't working well in the first place.

Yesterday we took down the wireless and put up the wired ourselves. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. The camera on the wired draws power from the cable (something I did not know) so I didn't have to have a hole in my poor camper that we have now had to fill with sealant and will forever have to watch. We wrapped the cable around the ladder and zip tied it under the camper to various points along the metal frame. The wire rests in the L channel along the frame and for extra security I put gorilla tape over it to further secure it in that L channel. I'm confident it is not going anywhere. We got a pig tail quick disconnect so the connection to that sits at the hitch and we can just connect it up. We plan to just run the truck wire through the bed tie down loops on the truck when we use it so it is not a permant install in the truck. This was much easier to put in than I thought it would be and I now regret even attempting the wireless route. I do think my wireless camera is defective because when we got it down we noted it was full of condensation and it is supposed to be completely weather proof. The whole front lenses is covered in moisture. This better be a fluke since the company has good reviews. Hoping the wired camera will not have the same issue.

So the moral here for anyone pondering backup camera's in wired is not hard to install, much easier than it sounds. Only effect on the camper is the 4 screw holes to hold on the mounting bracket and use a good sealant over the edges on that. Don't make the mistake I did and assume wireless is easier or better.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

As an FYI, what brand did you end up going with?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

I have a wired rear view safety camera because they replaced the wireless one. We just installed it so I can not testify to it being better. They advertise as weather proof so I'm hoping the condensation in the wireless one was a fluke. Several people here recommended them for camera's and their reviews were good. They have been good about handling my concerns sending out range extenders for free and swapping out the wireless for a wired.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

I installed this wireless rear view camera system and have had no problems at all.

Wireless Observation System - FURRION

I learned the hard way that there is a difference between a back up camera and a rear view camera system.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Wireless depends on the length of your rig.. I have a hardwired unit from RVS been on the back of the camper for at least 2 years now never even one seconds worth of problems from it... I put a second cam on the camper shell of my truck bed now hitching up is a breeze..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

I'm sure some people have had luck with wireless. I'm just posting because I was very intimidated by wired and thought it would be a HUGE PIA to install only to find out it was actually easier than the wireless since it draws power from the cable therefore no need to try to draw power from the camper for it drilling lots of holes. I'm sure mine was defective at this point given it was full of condensation after less than 8 weeks on the camper mounted properly by my dealer.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Fortunately I learned from my Dad's experience and I elected to go with a wired system. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but lazy and didn't want to do the install. However after pricing a few people I got enough energy to do it myself. Ended up not being hard at all. Brake controller and lighting was much harder. I even connected a cigarette plug to the power lines and a quick connect in the cord so I could just plug the system in when I want and can take it to another truck I have if needed. Just have to wire that truck sooner or later.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote