Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
OP the offer they are making is fair, there likely is $1-$2k more if you really grind them and they are motivated to sell.
Concise and super helpful... Thanks!!
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #22

About 12-15 years ago I worked for a company the was owned by a major RV company. As an employee I would have been able to purchase a TT at 55% of the MSRP and shipped to a dealer of my choice. Preferably one that was close to my location. My only other expense would have been shipping cost and any sales taxes. And also any dealer fees such as prep or PDI fees if I wanted the dealer to do such.

That 55% was what was also the price the dealer was paying for the same TT. If those figures are still the same today as they were back then. That would mean that a dealer could sell the TT at 30% off of the MSRP and still make a good profit.

The MSRP should be for the base unit and any factory installed options but does not include shipping or dealer fees
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #23

Towm8ter, I would assume you are dealing with Richardsons. They are the largest Jayco dealer in the country. I ordered a 23RLSW last Dec. and got 33% off of the MSRP including options and destination charges.

Took almost 4 months to get it.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
Hi All,

Had been shopping for a 5th wheel but the one we want can only be ordered and we don't really want to wait that long so now we're looking at travel trailers again. Found a Jay Flight 32BHDS on a local dealer lot that we like but I'm not sure if it is a good deal or if I need to try harder to negotiate the price down.

From the MSRP sheet in the unit:

Base price: $30,202
Customer value package: $2549
Elite Package: $1192
50 Amp Service: $375
Thermal Pkg: $472
Hide-a-Bed: $555
TV, 32": $487
Destination Charge: $3888
Dealer Prep: $789

Total MSRP: $40,509

Dealer's Price: $27,995

If I go strictly off those last two numbers, I get 31% off but not sure if I'm calculating that correctly. I've read that I should look for 25-30% off, but I also read that the calculation should be use the base MSRP not including options rather than the total MSRP. If thats the case, then the dealer price is only about 8% but that doesn't seem quite right.

Would appreciate if all you smart folks can clear this up for me.

Thanks!!

IMO, the TV and 50amp charges are bogus. 99.99% of the 5'ers are 50 amp out of the gate and 99.99% of the RV's out there come with TV's from the factory. The dealers realized that buyers will pay extra for them so they decided to take out the TV's when the hot shot drops them off and then charge the buyer as an option for them.

As for the packages, some of those may overlap, meaning, that the elite may be customer package plus new items. So make sure you're not paying for something twice. As for dealer prep? What prep? The hot shot drops them off and then dealers move them to a spot, other then that the trailers sit there until someone buys them, if they're charging 800 to wash it when someone buys it, skip the wash and do it yourself for 20-30 bucks, the price of the cleaner and it'll be done right. You can talk them down more for sure
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #25

Back one page 1 it was suggested to get quotes from some RV wholesalers for comparison with the dealer prices. I'm looking at a different unit from the OP, but this is relevant to the thread.
We are looking at a Jay Flight SLX model currently on sale at a local dealer for $17,995. The MSRP they listed is also $1000 higher than what was published on Jayco site ($22,533). I tried offering $17,000 to buy local, but the salesman wouldn't move off their asking price.
I have now received quotes from two wholesalers - both at right about $16,000. One requires pick-up in Des Moines and the other in Indiana. The only issue for us is that one quoted 8 - 10 weeks for delivery and the other 6 - 8 weeks. We were hoping to use it yet this summer. Both places include all the same preps offered by the dealer so this appears to be apples-to-apples.
If this is typical why would I ever buy from a dealer? Am I missing something about dealing with wholesalers? I have no experience buying RVs.
BTW, this is a great forum! I've already learned a ton!
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #26

There are some advantages to dealing with local dealers instead of wholesalers.

1. It's local. You don't have to drive somewhere to pick it up (a few hours each way in your case).

2. I'm pretty sure (but not positive), the wholesalers will order it, which means longer wait time. If it is already on the dealer's lot, you can have it in very short order.

3. Most are probably not like this, but when you buy out of state, some local dealers either refuse to complete warranty work on your rig, or it goes to the end of the line. So that means either no or slow local warranty work.

So if you can trade the above for the lower cost, the wholesaler is the way to go.

Good luck!

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #27

I bought & picked it up in Indiana , drove it back to Florida. I called the local Jayco dealer about warranty work & they said it would be until September for an appointment. They never inquired weather I bought it from them or any questions of that nature. They said they were swamped with work?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #28

Here's my shot. $35,832 MSRP less 30% as a starter = $25,082. Work on that $4k delivery fee. Work hard. If you have the time, that'll pay for a real nice vacation to go get it. Dealer prep? Okay, car dealers here have signs all over warning you that after you make a "deal," they're going to surprise you with $6 - 800. Our largest, only nowadays, Ford dealer actually calls it additional dealer profit. And it's NEVER forgiven. My approach is to say, fine, lower the "deal" that amount and add it back in.

Never would I pay that much money for an off brand 32" television! Or an on brand for that matter. They know they can stick you for the convenience of having it ready to go. But $300 is a lot for installation!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote