Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #21

Drill/Driver

I have a BLACK+DECKER BDCDMT120C 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Matrix Drill/Driver which I purchased from Amazon

And one of these thingies, Quick Change Bit 19 mm or 3/4" Impact Driver Hex Socket Magnetic Nut Driver RV Lift Tack Trailer Stabilizer Leveling Scissor Jack Socket, which I also ordered from Amazon

Tupelo Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #22

I'll speak to the counterpoint on this one and risk taking a tongue lashing from the noise police in the process. I'll take my 1/2" drive 18v Milwaukee cordless impact every day of the week and twice on Sundays over any other suggestion here. With just a little time to get accustomed to the feel of the tool, I can run jacks up and down at nearly 3X the speed of a cordless drill and have little to no hammering at all. It isn't the tool's fault if some knuckle-dragger is hammering away with an impact driver on scissor jacks. Blame that on the tool behind the tool who thinks that scissor jacks are another term for 4 point leveling system. I hear this portion of the cordless crowd making more noise with their adjustable clutch settings and ratcheting set points than I ever do with my impact. And with no apologies to the Dewalt guys, I've long believed if you peel the Dewalt sticker off any of their tools, you'll likely find a Fisher Price label underneath it. I'll keep my arsenal of Milwaukee tools instead, thank you. My impact is always at the ready wherever I go with my truck as I can also break lug nuts loose on the truck or trailer in the event of a flat, eliminating any unitasker moniker one might wish to apply. Not to mention, quicker oftentimes equals safer when getting off the roadside sooner in repair situations.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #23

12 volt Milwaukee cordless is all I've ever needed... Caveat, I use air tools for lug nuts, or old school methods if I'm on the road.

One of my buddies that has a garage full of snap-on tools ripped the nut right off his jack trying to use one of his 'super cool' expensive drills on his jack. I spit up half my beer watching him do it. Like others said, any cordless can handle those scissor jacks, you can turn them by hand easy.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
I'll speak to the counterpoint on this one and risk taking a tongue lashing from the noise police in the process. I'll take my 1/2" drive 18v Milwaukee cordless impact every day of the week and twice on Sundays over any other suggestion here. With just a little time to get accustomed to the feel of the tool, I can run jacks up and down at nearly 3X the speed of a cordless drill and have little to no hammering at all. It isn't the tool's fault if some knuckle-dragger is hammering away with an impact driver on scissor jacks. Blame that on the tool behind the tool who thinks that scissor jacks are another term for 4 point leveling system. I hear this portion of the cordless crowd making more noise with their adjustable clutch settings and ratcheting set points than I ever do with my impact. And with no apologies to the Dewalt guys, I've long believed if you peel the Dewalt sticker off any of their tools, you'll likely find a Fisher Price label underneath it. I'll keep my arsenal of Milwaukee tools instead, thank you. My impact is always at the ready wherever I go with my truck as I can also break lug nuts loose on the truck or trailer in the event of a flat, eliminating any unitasker moniker one might wish to apply. Not to mention, quicker oftentimes equals safer when getting off the roadside sooner in repair situations.
In my past life, I used Milwaukee tools almost exclusively...but since they were purchased by a Chinese company they are not the same quality as in the past. Sill a good tool, they are not the professional high end tools they use to be.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
In my past life, I used Milwaukee tools almost exclusively...but since they were purchased by a Chinese company they are not the same quality as in the past. Sill a good tool, they are not the professional high end tools they use to be.
Makita and DeWalt are also contenders.

Makita is obviously a Japanese company, which I prefer over a Chinese one.. and they build almost all of their American market tools here in America, employing thousands of people.

DeWalt as you guys I'm sure know, is owned by Black and Decker, an American company that went overboard on offshoring their labor overseas, in recent years they've brought a lot of those jobs back home again, but for a while buying an 'American product' actually did less benefit to American workers than buying a Japanese one that was built here at home. I've had good luck with their stuff too. Not sure where I was heading with this... probably something to do with employing american workers, quality... something like that. If it's important to you though and you decide to purchase from an American company, which I try to do when I can, please let them know in the comments for your order that you purchased, at least partially for those reasons.

And now I've taken this further off topic probably than the OP ever intended... again, any cordless drill should work fine for scissor jacks
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I have been selling and repairing Milwaukee tools since the early 90's after completing my factory service training. While my Dewalt comments were mostly tongue in cheek, I will admit to being pretty much of a Milwaukee lifer snob. One of the things I appreciate about the Milwaukee tools is the ability to repair them rather than replace. Somewhere along the way, society decided that tools were acceptable as a disposable product. Over the years, I've accumulated an entire wall of fame of vintage and antique Milwaukee tools for purely collectible reasons of my own. Most of them were basket cases when I got ahold of them and I'm proud to say they've all been restored to running condition although I don't actually use them. They've paid their dues and are now comfortably retired, I guess. For me, it's just nice to see working electric tools that are older than I am!!! I'll agree, the build materials on new stuff isn't what it used to be, but the features and versatility sure have improved. IMO, the Milwaukee brand is still better than any other competitive offering.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #27

This combo works like a charm for us -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote