Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #21

Well to me the trailer is very tall already do not want the 15" tires and rims will just go a load range higher.

I had very good luck with my StarCraft single axle trailer with the kuhmo load range D 14" tires from the Tire Rack.

That's the route I am going to take with mine.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

Hate to say it, but I do not know of any trailer tires made here in the US any more...
Goodyear G614 only problem is they only come in 16".
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #23

TxTwoSome, are the Kuhmo's ST or LT tires? You are right, the trailer does sit high but switching to 15"s is only a 1/2 " higher or so depending on the sidewall height.
What about switching to LT's? Pro's & con's of LT's with a higher load range? Going this route there may be more choices?

Just trying to keep my options open. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Goodyear G614 only problem is they only come in 16".
That's good to know if I ever need a 16" tire, though I am not a big fan of GY. But if that is all available, not much choice for a US made trailer tire.

Comparing a Carlisle 205/75/14 C vs 205/75/15 D, there is a 1.1" difference in mounted diameters per the spec sheet. Just as Wire mentioned, resulting in the trailer being only about 1/2" taller.

Wire,

Not sure there is any 14" or 15" LT's available anymore. At least that may fit under the trailer. If you do find some, post up for others please.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
TxTwoSome, are the Kuhmo's ST or LT tires? You are right, the trailer does sit high but switching to 15"s is only a 1/2 " higher or so depending on the sidewall height.
What about switching to LT's? Pro's & con's of LT's with a higher load range? Going this route there may be more choices?

Just trying to keep my options open. Wireman
The Kuhmos I bought were ST tires with the higher load rating I never looked at or considered the LT tires..

The 15" tires and rims is just not something I am going to do.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #26

need-a-vacation, I think you are right, there doesn't seem to be a LT tire in 14" diameter. There is in 15' though. Like TXTwoSome I don't want to change rims. I'll probably see how the tires from the factory work out for awhile.

Then when needed step up to a better brand with a load range D in 14". Wireman
Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #27

Our 2016 Jayco Whitehawk 33rsks came with the Rainier ST 225/75r/15 tires. Tires have around 3600 miles on them and have been good so far. I did look up customer reviews on various sites and had good reviews on tires. Will stick with them for now.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #28

Wireman,

What LT tire did you find in a 15"? What are the specs?

Our last trailer had 14" tires, and I did a lot of searching. Didn't find much at all. Only thing I did do was go up to a 215/75/14 which gave about 100lbs more per tire weight capacity. The Kuhmos were on the list as potentiality tires for the future, but we ended up upgrading the whole trailer instead! Lol

TY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray56 View Post
Our 2016 Jayco Whitehawk 33rsks came with the Rainier ST 225/75r/15 tires. Tires have around 3600 miles on them and have been good so far. I did look up customer reviews on various sites and had good reviews on tires. Will stick with them for now.
Billy,

From what I found, the Rainier tires seemed to be somewhat newer tire (under the Rainier name), maybe the last couple years if I recall correctly. How far back did you find reviews for the Rainier's? That is what our 32 BHDS came with, 225/75/15, and have some concern regarding long term quality and reliability.

TY!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #29

need-a-vacation, here's what I found.

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S - LT215/75R15 106S - Sam's Club

Not a lot out there. This is a 215 size tire. I couldn't find any 205-14 in LT.

Looks like the only option for me is a better quality tire the same size. That's OK, at least the dust has cleared for me. Thanks for everyone's input.

I've learned a lot in the last couple of month's. Still no word on a delivery date yet.

Wireman
Old 02-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Wireman,

What LT tire did you find in a 15"? What are the specs?

Our last trailer had 14" tires, and I did a lot of searching. Didn't find much at all. Only thing I did do was go up to a 215/75/14 which gave about 100lbs more per tire weight capacity. The Kuhmos were on the list as potentiality tires for the future, but we ended up upgrading the whole trailer instead! Lol

TY!

Billy,

From what I found, the Rainier tires seemed to be somewhat newer tire (under the Rainier name), maybe the last couple years if I recall correctly. How far back did you find reviews for the Rainier's? That is what our 32 BHDS came with, 225/75/15, and have some concern regarding long term quality and reliability.

TY!
I read some feedback on this jayco forum with previous threads. One is titled rainier ST ..will use thru the season and others after I googled the tires. As stated with above miles not including probably 1100 mile destination tacked on the total miles. Believe tires are made by tredit manufacturing. They are supposed be a better marketed tire and have been around for 3 years. Check out their website. I will update my opinion on next trip in 3 weeks. So far no complaints but I do try to keep my speed at 65 mph as we all should.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #31

We have had our 2015 Eagle Premier 351RLTS since May 2015 and less than 3000 miles traveled. Today, AAA was call to change a tire for us with the spare. The tire had a 'goose egg' on the outer sidewall. Upon further inspection, the other 3 tires had 'goose eggs' on the inner sidewalls. We are at a campground in Georgia heading home to WV. In the morning, we have to find someplace to purchase 4 new tires. What a shame - you purchase what you think is quality and this is what you get!!
Larry&Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #32

Welcome!!!

The oem tires are usually the cheapest the manufacture can get.... I don't recall the size, but there was a recall on some of the Towmax tires that were on Jayco for '15 I think it was..... Look into it before leaving the shot tires!!!

May need the tires (or maybe just pics) to be reimbursed some if your tires are part of the recall.

Though your tires could already be 3yrs old, which st tire manufactures suggest a 3-5yr life span. Look for a 4 digit number (1215), which is the week and year the tires were made: 12 week, 2015.

See if you have the available rim capacity to step up a load range for more reserve weight capacity.

Good luck!!!