Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

What tires from the factory

I've been reading on some other RV forums about the cheap China tires coming on new TT's.

I have a Jay Feather 23RLSW on order, hopefully to be delivered in about 5-6 weeks.

For those of you who have picked up your new TT in the last 6 months, what brand of tires were on your rig and where were they manufactured?

I'm sure Jayco puts on whatever they bought for the cheapest price.

I would like a factory option for a quality US tire and would be willing to pay for it.

It seems to me that tire quality should not be compromised by manufacturers.

JMO Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Not sure what they put on TTs but my north point fifth wheel came with Ranier tires that I promptly replaced with sailun s637 g rated tires

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Team

They do offer upgrade tires on some rigs. I would contact your dealer and find out if you have any options. If not you take what you get.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Rainiers on my 2015 White Hawk. Pondered what you are pondering and decided to be a guinea pig and did a near 6000 mile trip in three weeks on them with no problems.

If I were to buy new tires, and I did a lot of research on the subject, I would buy Maxxis Brand.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I've been reading on some other RV forums about the cheap China tires coming on new TT's.

I have a Jay Feather 23RLSW on order, hopefully to be delivered in about 5-6 weeks.

For those of you who have picked up your new TT in the last 6 months, what brand of tires were on your rig and where were they manufactured?

I would like a factory option for a quality US tire and would be willing to pay for it.

JMO Wireman
My Seismic 4212 came with China Westlake tires? have 7000 mile so far and no issues. Pressure has stayed stable and this unit weight is 17,000# Dry triple axle.
based upon current performance I am not changing them.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Any manufacturer will put on the tires where they can get the best deal. If you don't like the tires you have to shop around yourself for better quality. On some units Jayco might give an option for a different brand of tire.
Sometimes at more cost dealer might exchange tires.
People can go into arguments over tires from China, but even the USA mfg. tires can have flaws in them. Important is; if the mfg. stands behind their product.
"It Is What It Is"
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

Congrats on the new rig!!!

Hate to say it, but I do not know of any trailer tires made here in the US any more...

Our '16 32 BHDS (bought last July) came with the Rainer (Rainier or whatever they are!!!) tires. I think they were made in China, but don't recall for sure and the trailer is in storage until spring. Seem ok in our 800 miles or so towing last year, but from research I and others have done, they are only speed rated to 65 mph like a lot of trailer tires. For that reason and to gain more weight capacity "cushion", I plan on replacing the tires this spring with either Carlisle or Maxxis in the next higher load range. Both these brands have a higher speed rating than 65mph. Not that I promote higher towing speeds, but again for more "cushion" (between the travel speed and speed rating).

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

I don't think it really matters where they're made. Many tires sold in north america come from China. Some are quality, some are junk.
My new Jay Flight 38FDDS is still at the dealership, but upon a quick look(not PDI), I noticed that the tires are junk. I'm not sure of the brand but the treads looked very worn from the single one way trip from Indiana to Massachusetts which was about 735 miles. Since mine will be delivered to a seasonal site in the spring where it will stay indefinitely, I'm not too concerned about it until I move it from my site someday at which time I will get new tires. If I was going to haul this thing around I would definitely replace the tires ASAP.

I ordered my Jay Flight and there was no tire upgrade option offered.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #9

You may be able to upgrade to the Maxxis M8008 16 inch wheels and tires from Jayco.

I did. They get much better reviews.

You are right. The standards tires are marginal and that is being very diplomatic.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

Being this is my 1st TT after owning class A's for over 20 years, I guess it's surprising to me that companies are putting marginal tires on NEW TT's.

You don't see that happening on new class A's, C's or any type of motorhome. On my last class A I had Michelin tire on it for 12 years, the original set lasting for 8 years with no problems.

Maybe that's comparing apples to oranges, but if I spend $20k to $30K on a TT I expect some quality in the unit including the tires. There are quality TT tires out there, why should these companies compromise my safety and possible damage to go cheap and save a few bucks.

I may need to be schooled on the difference between ST & LT tires. Why not a quality LT?

My TT I ordered weighs about #4600 dry and comes with 205-75R 14 tires with a load range C. That's what was on units I looked at.

I guess Jayco determined these are OK. So I guess I'll wait and see how my tires hold up and determine if a bigger & better tire will be needed in the future.

I just can't wrap myself around the thought that something new I buy can possibly need an upgrade, at my expense, to be safe. Wireman
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

I see that the maxxis are offered as a factory option on the eagle. These are not offered as an option on the TT's. Perhaps Jayco or the dealer can provide an upgrade, but this would be outside the norm. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

Our Towmax's gave us 8k mi, had no signs of tread wear and held pressure with ease. They were great right up to the point where 2 of them shredded themselves in a 75 mi stretch. I've replaced them all with Goodyear 614 LT tires. There's a little stamping in the sidewall, "Made in the USA".

I started to worry about tires after reading the horror stories on JOF, including the damage a failed tire can do which prompted me to get my TPMS. It alerted me of both failures and I was able to get stopped with no damage to the 5th.

That experience made me a solid believer in TPMS. I encourage everyone to do their research and get one.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Site Team

I have never had a ST tire wear out. I replace mine every 4-5 years because after that they start cause potential problems like thread separation and cracking.

Since I went with G614's, I am not sure what the interval will be. I am looking for some real life experience with longevity of this tire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I see that the maxxis are offered as a factory option on the eagle. These are not offered as an option on the TT's. Perhaps Jayco or the dealer can provide an upgrade, but this would be outside the norm. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
Maybe not on all models, but they are offered on the Eagle TTs. Like you said, it would not hurt to ask your dealer.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #15

Just had a scary thought. Where do you buy your TT tires and get them mounted if your dealer doesn't do that? (I understand that my dealer does not do tires for some reason - that's something I need to check into.)

Thanks,

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Just had a scary thought. Where do you buy your TT tires and get them mounted if your dealer doesn't do that? (I understand that my dealer does not do tires for some reason - that's something I need to check into.)

Thanks,

Roger
Most locales has a company that services trailers for big rig transport. These companies in our area will work on RV running gear. For me, I did it myself when our tires were 6 yrs old. Ordered tires from tire rack, put camper on jack stands, brought to Wal-Mart for mount and balance (I think it was $20/tire including disposal of old), then reinstalled. The job wasn't too bad but not for everyone.
NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #17

Not sure what they come with from the factory now as I ordered the Maxis upgrade on the Eagle. The White Hawk came with TowMax, and we had over 11k trouble free miles with them, though I watched them like a hawk (no pun intended).

If we had kept the WH, I would have replaced the tires this spring. Similar to what NorfolkCounty did, I was going to put the TT on jack stands and take the tires to a local shop to have them mounted.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post

JMO Wireman
Wireman

Our 23RLS came with Rainier tires.

Not sure the quality of these tires but I know a set of new higher load range tires are in my near future.

Just for a little better piece of mind.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #19

TxTwoSome, I'm not sure what I will do. Not crazy about the 14" and the load range C.

Obviously to switch to 15" means new rims & tires. Do you plan on running maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall?

On my class A I ran different pressures on the front & rear axles based on the weight shown at the scales. I never had to run anywhere near the max pressure shown.

The TT is a new learning curve for me so I'm willing to listen to good advice. I'm use to running quality tires on all my vehicles, put Michelin's on my Class A when they were needed.

Just a burr under my saddle with what's being put on new TT's. I wish there was a tire option on the Jay Feathers. Wireman
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #20

Wireman,

The general consensus is to run the tires at max pressure. Because heat can quickly kill a tire, running at max pressure will help prevent that.

Stop by your local tire dealer to see if 15" tires will fit. I know it means new rims, but maybe they would take a trade??? Reason being is the reserve weight cushion of the tires vs the loaded trailer may not be all that much. Stepping up a size will allow you to (hopefully) gain more weight capacity.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote