Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

What to do about the propane tank?

Still brand new to my Jay Flight 145RB and LOVING it!! Done one dry camp and one hook up trip already!

Here's a question: At some point my propane tank will need to be filled. What do most of you long timers do? Take it somewhere to be refilled? Buy a new one? Refill yourself? Can you refill it on the fly while it's on your trailer at certain filling areas?

I did do a search to see if this had been asked before but didn't find a thread that addressed this specifically.

Thank you, thank you!!

Lynn
Lynnmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

I've seen propane tank trucks refill tanks at many of the campgrounds which we've stayed. As long as your tank is in good condition, and the manufacture date isn't beyond 12 years old (it needs re-certification if older) then that may be a fairly painless option. You can ask whether the service is available at the campground office.

I don't know how the tank truck refill price compares to driving to a fill station.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Filling at a station is cheaper than a swap.

I usually fill at stations until the tank expires, then I do a swap... Step and repeat.

Never had one re-qualified before, but I have a larger tank at home I need to get it done on. I assume it's not very expensive.

And yes, the tank can be refilled while it's on the trailer, just need to make sure the station you go to has the room for your trailer near the propane pump.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #4

Been to places where the tank trucks come they usually charge $1.00 per gallon more to fill your tank. I usually take the tank off and take it down to get it filled. Much cheaper in my mind.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #5

The tanks are removable and must be out of the TT to be filled. There are a multitude of places that will fill tanks. I live in a really small town, tourist area, and there are half a dozen places that fill tanks, you'll find them in a phone book. Class A's are another story.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

Best price is to remove the tanks and have them refilled.

Tank exchanges only have 20 pound tanks. I have a number of cop friends and all of them say do not use them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have a number of cop friends and all of them say do not use them.
Why?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Best price is to remove the tanks and have them refilled.

Tank exchanges only have 20 pound tanks. I have a number of cop friends and all of them say do not use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Why?
My guess is because most/ if not all exchange tanks are only partially filled to 15lbs??? Should be interesting hear the reason why.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
My guess is because most/ if not all exchange tanks are only partially filled to 15lbs??? Should be interesting hear the reason why.
Two reasons : when filled to 15 lb. there is no chance of expansion in a hot area setting off the relief valve.
It looks more attractive price wise to a gullible public. The public assumes that they are buying a full tank!!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Search
We perform a full tank inspection which is included in the tank recertifying process.

Here is a description of what we do for you:

Check the tank date of manufacture
Check the tank for leaks
Check to make sure the tank has the required decals
Check the valve guard
Check the foot-ring
Check for dents & gouges
Check for rust
Replace the relief valve – This valve is set to release any excess pressure in the propane tank. The valve is equipped with a protective cap to keep the valve clean from water and debris. The relief valve must be replaced within 12 years of the date of manufacture of the container and every 10 years thereafter. See NFPA 58 Sec 2-3.2.5.
At the end of the process tanks will be stamped as recertified.
Cost to recertify is $35 + valve.
The price of the valves vary, estimated total cost is $55 & up.

Propane Tank Recertification | Ted Johnsone Propane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Search
Quick Summary

My recommendation: Refill your tank, unless it is out of date (and cannot be legally refilled without recertification).
If it is out of date, exchange it. Make sure you get one that can be refilled.

Major point: Exchange services under fill the tanks to only 15 lbs. rather than the about 20 lbs that they will safely hold. Refilling gives you the full capacity.

More detail is here.

Propane tank refill vs exchange - eLivermore.com
The 30# tanks on the trailer we use in Florida are currently out of date. One is empty. We use so little propane that my plan is to fabricate some tank risers to keep the valves the same and change over to 20# exchange tanks rather than paying for recertification. That's opposite to wanting larger tanks like most people look to do.

I've seen the tanks refilled while mounted to the trailer. Maybe they are breaking the rules?

vic
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

I'm yet to find anyone who will fill a tank that's still on the camper, and the trucks that come around the parks are more expensive. But if you have the small, or barbeque tank or tanks, it might be worth the convenience of not having to drive somewhere.

As for fill levels of tanks, 80 to 85% is the proper level according to the companies we've had fill our 500 gallon tank here at home.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

Since propane tanks are part of your camping experience you will find most campgrounds can direct to where you can them re-filled.

I normally don't have a propane problem but always start looking for re-fill places as we start getting closer to our campground.

Here in out little town of King George VA there are at least 4-5 places we can go to here haha...

I suspect my 2008 purchase of my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper is getting close to be outdated... Need to check on that I reckon...

Since you are new to this you may want to lock your propane tanks if you have the outside mounts on the trailer tongue area. we use a standard long shank padlock like shown here and lock the twist handle... This is to just keep the honest folks more honest.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
Site Team

You didn't mention the size but it is easier and less expensive to take to a propane seller and just have it refilled.

You didn't mention if you have two tanks and what type regulator you have.

I you have one tank, just remove it. If you have two tanks place the changeover switch to the tank NOT being filled. Then you can remove the empty and have it refilled. The changeover valve will not let the other tank leak.

Sometimes, in a large campground, they will have a refill service truck. I avoid these because they usually charge to much. Many cg's have a refill service that you can take the tank to them. That is always the least expensive method.

Tank exchange locations are convenient, but will always be more expensive. I have never seen anything but 20# tanks at exchange locations.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #14

double post ???
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Team

I remove the 30lb tanks and take them to a dealer here such as Suburban Propane or a gas station that also fills tanks. I also have 20lb tanks for outdoor cooking etc that I get refilled, it is a better deal then the exchange tanks.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #16

I try not to let our tanks go less than 1/2 full. I just pull them out and replace with 2 full ones. I use the 1/2 full ones in our BBQ and patio heater.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I try not to let our tanks go less than 1/2 full.
Good plan, one my DW urged me in the strongest possible terms, and they say, when ours ran dry this February on our way north when the temp in the camper dropped into the low 40s as the outside temp dropped to 10. But digging through the TV for the barbeque tank and hooking it up at 4 in the a.m.
convinced her to let me back inside.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #18

Propane tanks have to be re-certified every 10 years based on the manufacturing date stamped on the tank. Do yourself a favor and keep those shiny, new tanks and have them refilled rather than swap them out for an older thank that has been beat up.

I used to take my tanks to a place that charged a flat rate to refill the tanks and learned from this forum that it was the more expensive route to go. Take your empty or partially empty tank(s) to a place that charges you by the pound and have them refilled. Many Tractor Supply stores offer propane refills by the pound so that may be a place to check first.

One of my 30 lbs tanks lasted me well over a year and I used it to run my propane smoker for several hours. You will get the hang of when you need to refill but it's not as often as you would expect.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #19

We got ours filled (for the Jayco 25RKS) at Pilot and Flying J, as they are convenient when traveling, and you get a 5 cents per gallon discount with your Good Sam membership card.

We still use them now that we switched to a motorhome.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Propane tanks have to be re-certified every 10 years based on the manufacturing date stamped on the tank.
A small correction.

It is 12 years from the date of manufacture and then 10 year max for subsequent re-certifications.

Other factors can also affect eligibility. Based only upon visual inspection tanks are subject to rejection for refill if they show significant rust, physical damage, or other problems no matter how shiny they may be otherwise.

vic

Tags
propane tank