Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Question What to do before winter?

We're newbies to camping.....have a new-to-us 2005 Jayco on a seasonal lot.

We know we have to winterize the plumbing lines, but what else should be do? Someone said we should treat the roof every year?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Please help!!

thepattons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

here is what I do, does not mean it is required. I clean and wash my roof and check for any bad caulking. This includes the vent covers and screens in and out. I have some boxes I made to cover the vents and skylight over the shower to help with weight of snow on roof. I wash and wax the trailer and check all caulking. I clean my awning top and bottom. I clean the trailer gutters. I drain the hot water tank, and lines using low point drains. I use 40 lbs of air pressure to blow out all water lines. I drain the gray and black holding tanks and flush. I then use the 12 volt pump to circulate rv antifreeze to all water connections. Don't forget the outside shower. I displace all my traps in shower and sinks with rv anti freeze. I add some antifreeze to holding tanks. I check the pressure in tires. Note:. I usually check to make sure the trailer is still level before closing slides. My wife usually takes care of closing down the fridge. Once that is done, I lock the trailer and cover it with an ADCO cover. Been doing that since 1968 on a yearly basis. So far I have encountered no problems. We use the trailer in a seasonal campground and kind of make this a community weekend celebrating our last hoorah. Good Luck.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - was going to ask this question myself.

This may be dumb - but what is the process you use for flushing out the black and gray tanks?

Thank you,
Jay
Jabawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Or you could head south for the winter!
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #5

Make sure you put out a tiny "No Trespassing" sign for any mice that might be roaming around.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

We also cover any outside openings with paper grocery bags to help keep spiders from finding winter homes. Our camping buddy learned the hard way that he had a family of spiders living inside his.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #7

I pretty much follow the plan that Rog4Kneer described with one final step which involves taking my Woodall RV Camping book from our trailer so I can start planning my next summer's trips!!!
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabawaki View Post
Thanks for the info - was going to ask this question myself.

This may be dumb - but what is the process you use for flushing out the black and gray tanks?

Thank you,
Jay
Some black tanks have a tank flusher installed. It is a nozzle inside the tank and attached to a water supply that ends at a hose connection on the side of the trailer. The recommended process is to open the black tank drain - connected to a dump, of course - and then attach a hose (one not used for potable water) to the flusher connection. Turn it on and let 'er rip until you are tired of it. Grey tanks don't usually have a flusher attached, and don't need it as much as black tanks. One thing we usually do is after we dump the black tank is we add two to four full toilets full of water to the tank. The sloshing that occurs when driving helps to keep the crud from sticking to the tank walls. The amount of water added varies as the perceived cruddiness of the tank and how long we might be boondocking at the next stop.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Make sure you put out a tiny "No Trespassing" sign for any mice that might be roaming around.
Don't forget: Pulse 2 para espaņol
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote