Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

What to look for when picking up my new TT?

Hi, As this is my first TT that I have owned and I do not have a truck to tow it. I want to look this unit over with a very critical eye so that I do not have to pay someone money to haul it back to the dealer if it needs warranty work.

What are common issues that need to be address?
What items need to be check so that I do not get the TT delivered only to find out it needs work?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance Rick.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

This should cover most of it:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2359
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That is a great thread for before I go camping.....I intent to do this all on the first time I get to my seasonal site.

I'm looking more for common issues that people find on inspection...

I guess I want to be sure that I do not have to repair items myself .....right after I take it off the lot...as the TT will be 50 miles away from the dealer and me without a truck that can pull it.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

For starters have the dealer fill the FW holding tank.

When you get there turn on the water pump and water heater. Run water to each sink, the shower and outside shower one at a time make sure there is consistent flow. People have had issues with construction debris in the tanks that get in the water lines. Then keep the pump on, turn off the sinks/shower, follow all the water lines and make sure everything is dry. You don't want to find any lose fitting that are dripping. Be sure to looks around the water heater, both external and internal assembly.

If you dealer is capable, might inquire what a pressure test on of the unit costs. If reasonable, pay for a pressure test to make sure all the seams and seals are water tight. If not -- that should be a warranty item to repair. If you wait and find a leak at your site, it’s up to you since seals/caulking are maintenance items and only covered for 60 days.

Run all the electric items...both on shore power and DC battery power.

Ask the dealer to start the fridge before you arrive so you can ensure it is cooling properly.

Lastly open and close the slide(s) a few times. Make sure they are sealing correctly both when open and closed. If not, the deal should adjust them.

Open and close the windows. Ensure they latch and slide correctly.

Test the TV, DVD, speakers. Bring a DVD to make sure that stereo is functioning. Mine first TT had a bad DVD player and I didn't catch it for a few months. Jayco and Jensen replaced it, but it required a trip back to the dealer.

You likely won't find any major construction issues, but you are right since you can't tow it it’s better to inspect closely up at pick up.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Hook up to city water pressure as well. Check for leaks

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
For starters have the dealer fill the FW holding tank.

When you get there turn on the water pump and water heater. Run water to each sink, the shower and outside shower one at a time make sure there is consistent flow. People have had issues with construction debris in the tanks that get in the water lines. Then keep the pump on, turn off the sinks/shower, follow all the water lines and make sure everything is dry. You don't want to find any lose fitting that are dripping. Be sure to looks around the water heater, both external and internal assembly.

If you dealer is capable, might inquire what a pressure test on of the unit costs. If reasonable, pay for a pressure test to make sure all the seams and seals are water tight. If not -- that should be a warranty item to repair. If you wait and find a leak at your site, it’s up to you since seals/caulking are maintenance items and only covered for 60 days.

Run all the electric items...both on shore power and DC battery power.

Ask the dealer to start the fridge before you arrive so you can ensure it is cooling properly.

Lastly open and close the slide(s) a few times. Make sure they are sealing correctly both when open and closed. If not, the deal should adjust them.

Open and close the windows. Ensure they latch and slide correctly.

Test the TV, DVD, speakers. Bring a DVD to make sure that stereo is functioning. Mine first TT had a bad DVD player and I didn't catch it for a few months. Jayco and Jensen replaced it, but it required a trip back to the dealer.

You likely won't find any major construction issues, but you are right since you can't tow it it’s better to inspect closely up at pick up.
I am going to ask for this all to be done....It makes sense to test everything before taking it off the dealers lot.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Every TT is different. The issues I had you may never experience. I hate to say it no matter who makes something, there is always a chance for issues and sometimes serious issues. Run every system; try every mechanical and electrical item a few times. Basically leave no stone unturned and you should be fine. Some dealerships do offer an onsite warranty you can purchase. A coworker bought this option, I think she said it cost them about $500, and have used it a few times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

This is great info but I have further questions. I'm scheduled to pick up my new Jayco Whitehawk from the Dealer on Wednesday. Of course the weather up here in the Northeast has been unseasonably cold. I'm assuming that the TT came from Jayco winterized. With temps going into the teens at night still here in NH, is it really feasible to go through all this on Wednesday and risk having issues due to the cold weather on the overnights? Should I go thru all this testing and ask to have it re-winterized? I'm a newbie and this is my first TT so any input is appreciated. FYI my situation is a bit different from the OP since I have a tow vehicle and my Dealer is only 20 miles away.
ggkid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkid71 View Post
This is great info but I have further questions. I'm scheduled to pick up my new Jayco Whitehawk from the Dealer on Wednesday. Of course the weather up here in the Northeast has been unseasonably cold. I'm assuming that the TT came from Jayco winterized. With temps going into the teens at night still here in NH, is it really feasible to go through all this on Wednesday and risk having issues due to the cold weather on the overnights? Should I go thru all this testing and ask to have it re-winterized? I'm a newbie and this is my first TT so any input is appreciated. FYI my situation is a bit different from the OP since I have a tow vehicle and my Dealer is only 20 miles away.
Yes it is still winter up here as well. The dealer I bought from has lots of space inside so going over everything should not be an issue. I just want to cover my bases. I am going to email them a list of items that I want checked pre- inspection, so that I am not having to spend all day there. I would be surprised if most of the above was not part of the pre delivery inspection of the dealer, if not it sure as hell should be.

I know that my dealer does not offers on site warranty work....I asked and they said that they used to do so but found that they were driving a lot picking up parts and tools etc that they needed to do the work...
I have sent an email asking for a 30 day on site warranty from them....this should get them to go through the trailer with a fine tooth comb prior to them delivering it to me on my seasonal site.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Sub'd for the info. Supposed to pick our trailer up in PA tomorrow. Concerned that dealer told me @ 10:30am this morning that our trailer was already PDI'd. I think that means post delivery inspected. I know it's freezing tonight so hope it's still winterized....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I am going to email them a list of items that I want checked pre- inspection, so that I am not having to spend all day there. I would be surprised if most of the above was not part of the pre delivery inspection of the dealer, if not it sure as hell should be.
Can you share this list? I just purchased my first TT as well (Jayco X213). We plan on waiting until late April or so to pick up (hopefully we will be thawed by then).
zedrok is offline   Reply With Quote