Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

What would you do for a TV?

My trailer didn't come with a television. It has the mounting bracket only, and I'm looking for the best option to get set up with a TV. My trailer is a 2013 Jay Flight and I think the head unit is an AWM something... It has a CD player in it but I don't think it will play DVDs (can somebody confirm?).

Option 1 - Buy a basic TV, bolt it up to the mount, and then buy a new RV head unit that will play DVDs and hopefully has a HDMI. I'm not sure where to even get a new head unit, and I'm willing to bet it's pretty expensive.

Option 2 - Buy a TV with an integrated DVD player inside the TV, and mount that up and run the sound to the head unit to come through the overhead speakers, if desired. Only thing is that these units are fairly thick (6.5in) and that might be a pain since it's going to be mounted over the dinette.

Ideas?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Most any smaller TV ($250) will provide a good picture; the sound however may be problematic so consider adding a small sound bar ($150). AS far as CD and DVD, NEITHER.

Get a BluRay player ($100) and you'll be good to go.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Just bought as 24" led Sanyo at Wmart for $148 and mounted it in the bedroom on a swing arm in our White Hawk. You can get a blueray DVD player for less than 50 bucks. Don't over think this. Just figure out what size will fit best in your TT. I wouldn't worry about the ??head? unit [think your are referring to the radio] with anything you do for a tv. You can be in and out the door with TV, Blueray, and wall mount for $250 or less.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

I have a 24" Toshiba with built in DVD player (not BluRay) we use in bedroom. This would probably all you need in your trailer.

I assume if you are mounting TV over the dinette you have a 26BH or similar floor plan.

Over head speakers in these trailers are less than wonderful. Forget it. Also the sound, especially dialogue needs to appear that it is coming from the people on the TV not from some remote place.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

Yes I have a 28BHS which is the same design for the dinette/bunk wall. Good point on the source of sound - I always just assumed it's better to have it coming from the ceiling speakers but maybe not.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
My trailer is a 2013 Jay Flight and I think the head unit is an AWM something... It has a CD player in it but I don't think it will play DVDs (can somebody confirm?).
It is my understanding that most Jensen AWM series head units play DVD's when properly hooked up with HDMI or video cables. Check your info packet that you received with the trailer, the Jensen info will be there.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

I went with option #3.

I installed a TV in the bedroom and ran a long HDMI cable from the TV to the night stand. I plug it into my laptop. Now I can watch downloaded movies, DVDs, Youtube and whatever else I want.

Another option is to use a Google Chromecast to send videos to the TV wirelessly over Wifi. You'll need a router for the wifi but you've be ablse to send videos from all of your electronics.
andrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

I am in the same situation. Just got a Jay Flight 29QBH and there is a space for the TV but the Jensen stereo is only the CD player.

I found this unit: http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...eo-output.html

Which is the Jensen DVD player they use in these trailers and can be picked off eBay for less than $300.

However, I like the idea of buying a TV with HDMI input so then I can just run movies off my laptop. Need to figure out the sound though.
huntnrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

My two cents... got this for our X19H...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T24C55.../dp/B00C18YUZU

Got it at CostCo for $150, so shop around. This is not a "smart" TV but it will play digital files through a USB connection (feature called ConnectShare from Samsung). I simply have a small portable Hard Drive with about 300 movies in digital format (MP4) and it plays off of that. It's small enough (the HD) to velcro it to the back of the screen so it's out of the way. Great for those rainy days in the camper...

I also used the RCA connectors that JayCo ran to that area from the head unit and connected them to the audio out on the TV. These were run to get DVD video to the screen. I then removed the head unit and swapped the RCA connection from Video Out to the Audio IN on the head unit. Doing this, the audio from the TV now plays through the ceiling speakers. I found this to sound better (may upgrade them later though).

Hope this was helpful....
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote