Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

What would you do... Hail Damage to Sheet Metal

Bought the family a 2013 32BHDS last spring and spent the summer at a local lake. Had one nasty hail storm blow through and took hail damage to the front, rear and entrance side of the trailer. Since it was only 2 months old at the time, decided to get all the damaged sheet metal replaced through insurance. I just couldn't live with a brand new trailer with siding that looked like someone had spent the afternoon throwing golf balls at it. Picked it up at the dealer back in January and took it out to our cold storage site. Took a drive on the weekend just to check it out and as I drive up to the TT and the wife comments on the "2 tone" front sheet metal?! Long story short, the entire rear was replaced, the entire entry side was replaced but just the top front piece (no other damage done to the other 2 front panels) but the replaced panel is a different shade of grey and is VERY noticeable. What the heck to I do? Of course the dealer wants to see it in person but I really do not want to tear the trailer apart again. I was VERY hesitant from the get go on replacing any sheet metal but, like I said, it was almost brand new. I have a bad feeling of where this situation may be heading...
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

I would want it fixed right, that is part of why I buy insurance for. I'd probably make a call the insurance company before I hauled it back to the dealer just to make sure they agree.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #3

We had something similar to this. We have a 2009 32BHDS (must be something with those) that we bought in July of '09. April of 2011 we had a hail storm. It beat the crap out of the front and both sides including the slides. Roof wasn't hurt, but I've since noticed some dings to the caulking so I Eternabonded everything and called it good. Anyway, on to the sheet metal. We were looking at about 16k in damages. Like you, I was hesitant to have anything taken apart since it wasn't leaking. My wife talking about it. Since at that time we still owed about 14 or 15k on it, we took the check from the insurance company and paid it off. Here we are 2 years later and still using it. Still no leaks or anything other than what I mentioned about the caulking. Don't like seeing the dents, but then I remember what we ended actually "paying" for the trailer after the insurance company paid. I can live with a few dents.

Good luck with whatever you decide. In this case, if it were mine, since you've already made the decision to "break" the factory seals and have it fixed, the dealership should stand behind the work and fix it correctly. If you were statisified with their work (other than the color) you should be satisified with it again. Though I wonder if they will suggest just painting the front of it?
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Jim...I would have probably done the exact thing you did if it wasn't for the fact the trailer was only 2 or 3 months old. Probably could have lived with the damage but by choosing the payout, I would have then been exempt from ANY future hail damage. So if another, even worse hail storm where to hit it, I would be totally out of luck and re-sale value goes through the basement. I am also waiting for the weather to finally warm up so the snow melts off the trailer so I can get a good look from the top on the job they did.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Since it is in a area where it snows, perhaps when it warms up, a good wash and wax might be in order. If after that there is a difference, then a call to the insurance company and the dealer that repaired it would be in order. Who knows, maybe after a good wash and wax, it may look fine.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Is it the grey panel along the bottom as seen in this pic of a 2013 Jayflight?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

What would you do... Hail Damage to Sheet Metal

No it is the top front piece where the 2 clearance lights are. Took some pictures to show the dealer last night but they are still on my camera at home. Looking over it a bit closer looks like a 5 year did the caulking around all the doors, windows, etc. Not impressed to say the least.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

That is exactly what scared me about having my completely taken apart. Had we had ours fix, they would have had to take every window (except the rear one), every light, every vent, every door out and reseal. I wasn't confident that it could all go back together and be right. I'm so glad we made the decision we did. I met our insurance adjuster at the dealership and went over everything with the technician that would have done the work. While the technician was in the back doing something, the adjuster looked at me and said, why don't you take it over to the sales floor and see what they will give you for it as it sits and take that and our check and apply it to a new one.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

Our 184BH was damaged by hail at about a year old to the point that about 90% of the siding would have to be replaced. I'd read several horror stories about people having their trailer fixed only to leak badly so we just applied the insurance to the balance. I was actually surprised they didnt total it.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

It's painted, so why not just have dealer match the color and paint the off color panel?