Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to WestTXmed
Whats the point in flipping the TT axles?

I occasionally run across a post where someone mentions that they flipped their axles. What is the point of this? More ground clearance for bigger tires or something? Just curious.....

"Here fishy, fishy, fishy......" - Me

"Never take a laxative and an Ambien in the same night." - Dr. Dad

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
WestTXmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

I guess that it could be to increase clearance for tires. But when I flipped my axles on my old fifth wheel, it was to raise up the rear end to make the trailer more level when I towed it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

RVhiker, when you flipped the axles did you notice any handling differences? I know it tends to make it slightly more top-heavy but wondered if it was that noticable. I need to flip mine but leary of the crosswinds.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

My previous 19ft TT had very low ground clearance. Its plumbing discharge pipes was in the rear and many times, I seen grass strands hanging off its rear plumbing pipes. Thus, waiting for an accident (re: smashing its rear pipes) off the bottom of the TT. Thus, I re-positioned its axles "under" its factory leaf springs - which created 4.5" mpre ground clearance. For my situation, re-positioning its axles was well worth it. Glad I did it.

The buddy across the road pulls an older 5er. In the old days, the bed of pickups were much lower (compared to today's pickups). To reduce the risk of the front of his 5er scrapping the top of his pickup box, he re-positioned its axles under its leaf springs as well. Thus, more clearance from its higher height box. Especially during uneven camp ground areas.

In both cases, handling around corners and wind drag was NO difference. I certainly couldn't feel a difference...

For more details, surf: http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/axles1.html

Depending on the situation, re-positioning axles under the leaf springs are worth it...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
RVhiker, when you flipped the axles did you notice any handling differences?
I couldn't notice any difference when towing it. When backing into my driveway (requiring a nearly 90 degree turn), I heard a bit more squeaking and complaining from the suspension. But there were never any issues or problems with the suspension.

Lots of people flip their axles. As far as I know, it's not any big deal.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

It's simply for those who want more ground clearence who do more off-road camping. I assume you would also have more wind drag while towing a trailer which is higher off the ground.
wb2nco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #7

Sometimes if there is minimal clearance between the tires on a dual axle you are limited in how large a tire you can go.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote