Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #1

Wheel Bearings

Hello
Let me start by thanking everyone
This site is a gold mine
New to TT with a 2016 RB23
Was curious about the trailer wheel bearings , their service life and whether I have to pack them or they are sealed
Having never done any of the above ever I thought I'd ask
A friend suggested getting a thermal gun to " shoot" the axles, tires and bearing just to keep track of temperature changes and tell me if a bearing is failing
For longer travel times
All thoughts welcome
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #2

First, do you have EZ-lube spindles? They have a rubber plug in the hub cap.

If yes, periodic repacking is done by the use of a grease gun. Go to Dexter's web site and check the video and explanations.

You still have to adjust the spindle nut from time to time and total teardown and inspection with replacing worn parts needs to be done too.

If they are not EZ-lube, every year, 1,000 miles or 5,000 miles (based on your habits) the hubs will have to be disassembled, inspected, replace the rear seal, repacked and adjusted.

Enjoy your new trailer!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

I may have an unusual perspective on bearings, but here are my thoughts. Also, I don't know for sure what bearings are in a 2016 RB23, but I'll assume that they are regular tapered bearings.

1) EZ lube bearings are good on a boat trailer - especially one that does not have brakes - because boat trailers hubs are often under water. The EZ lube fitting allows grease to be injected and drive out the water. But at the cost of 2) (next).

2) Many times there is a failure of the axle seal when the EZ lube system is used, which results in grease getting on brake components and brake failure. Because of the EZ lube system, repairing the brakes is a mess.

3) If properly serviced, wheel bearings will easily last at least one year on one grease job. Dexter recommends inspection (which requires removal of the drum) of brake components each year anyway.

My conclusion: EZ lube adds failures and expense to RV users. If you are towing a boat, different conclusions apply.

Dexter recommends inspection of bearings and brake components every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #4

Some previous discussion is here.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ing-26445.html

Have fun. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I may have an unusual perspective on bearings, but here are my thoughts. Also, I don't know for sure what bearings are in a 2016 RB23, but I'll assume that they are regular tapered bearings.

1) EZ lube bearings are good on a boat trailer - especially one that does not have brakes - because boat trailers hubs are often under water. The EZ lube fitting allows grease to be injected and drive out the water. But at the cost of 2) (next).

2) Many times there is a failure of the axle seal when the EZ lube system is used, which results in grease getting on brake components and brake failure. Because of the EZ lube system, repairing the brakes is a mess.

3) If properly serviced, wheel bearings will easily last at least one year on one grease job. Dexter recommends inspection (which requires removal of the drum) of brake components each year anyway.

My conclusion: EZ lube adds failures and expense to RV users. If you are towing a boat, different conclusions apply.

Dexter recommends inspection of bearings and brake components every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
This...my 2015 has ez lube and I did NOT use it
When I bring her home next spring I will repack the bearings...once a year, in spring before season starts should do the trick...we do 5-6 trips a year and they are all within a couple hundred miles...no cross country trips

I also keep my speed at or below 65 mph

My Viking pop up had the ez lube...and I used it...a few shots of grease into each wheel before every trip and never had a problem...never had to repack bearings in the 10 years we had her...but im not taking chances with the tt
Old 10-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

The axle seals on my TT were failed from the factory. I had a big greasy mess to clean off the brakes.

I would not use EZ lube either. We service ours every other year. Typically we tow about 1500-2000 miles a year.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltice View Post
A friend suggested getting a thermal gun to " shoot" the axles, tires and bearing just to keep track of temperature changes
That is a good idea. Harbor Freight has them for about 25 bucks.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
But, doncha want one that works?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

X2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:21 AM   #10

Another scary thing about the EZ lube bearings. If that is all you do is inject the grease, you never exercise the lug nuts. and when you do have a flat, you will never get them off. Lucky for me I figured this out in my garage on my snowmobile trailer. Broke two of the four studs
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I have had one for 6-7 years and it is still used for hub temps even after I got a TPMS.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #12

My Jayco is the 4th trailer with Dexter EZ lubes, and I always use them. Never had a problem. You do need to know HOW to use them, and how NOT to use them. Slow, and no high pressure air lubers, etc. As far as lug nuts, I rotate my tires annually...
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote