Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Wheel Chocks

Hello all,

The wife and I just bought a White Hawk 27DSRL and I'm trying to figure out if the BAL X-tended X-Chocks will work for the wide stance axles on the White Hawk. I can't measure the spacing of the tires because the trailer is at the lake 60 miles away, I kind of want to order these and have them by the weekend. Anyone try the X-tended X-Chocks with a White Hawk, or anyone know the tire spacing? Thanks in advance!
kakman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

I have the BAL X chocks, but don't know about the spacing on a White Hawk. I can give you the range they can cover if that will help you.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

BAL makes the regular X chocks that go from 1 3/8 inches to 10 inches spacing between wheels. They also make the extended version that goes up to 17 inches. Both are available from Tweetys, and somethimes they also appear on Ebay or Amazon.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

I have a 2013 White Hawk 28DSBH. I measured the spacing at the narrowest point between the tires to be 16"
jkline326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

According to Bal, their X-chocks and Deluxe Chocks are NOT designed to keep your trailer from rolling down a hill; I have experienced this problem. Those chocks are made to reduce trailer wheel movement from motions inside the trailer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #6

Just out of curiosity I went to the BAL website to verify this "NOT designed to keep your trailer from rolling down a hill" issue. I did not find anything stating that. I would distinguish between a "hill" and an "unlevel site".

However, I did play the video they have on the site. What I really found strange was in the video they actually refer to placing the X-Chock AFTER you have unhooked from the TV. I also noted there were no other wheel chocks in place when they were demonstrating the installation.

I use the X-Chock myself and think they are the greatest thing out there for stabilizing your rig. I ALWAYS place the X-Chocks in BEFORE unhooking from the TV.

UPDATE: I did find additional information on the site where they state to install them after unhooking. If you are talking about a "hill" that makes sense. But for an essentially level campsite it does not make sense to me. We each have our methods I guess.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #7

I use a set of Bal X chocks on our Jayco 246 BH. I follow the directions and use a cheap set of the yellow plastic chocks we got at Wally World with our previous TT to prevent rolling while hitching and unhitching and place the Bal X units between the tires to stabilize the unit from moving when the TV is pulled out from under it and I have lowered the tongue to level it front to back. In fact usually the Bal X chocks go on after the stabilizer jacks are lowered and removed before the stabilizer jacks are raised. Bal X chocks are meant to stabilize the unit, not prevent rolling. They do a great job of stabilizing as I was considering putting 2 more stabilizer jacks on the frame in front of the wheels and was able to buy the Bal X units cheaper from Camping World on sale then one stabilizer jacks and did not have to lay under the TT and drill holes and mount the jacks. They stopped all of the movement my DW was complaining about!
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with the application of the BAL X-Chocks (X-Tended fit version) on the White Hawk, but I have used the standard Deluxe model for a number of years on my Eagle.

A little off topic.., but I always block my TT tires prior to unhitching, and install my BAl X-chocks after I have unhitched and leveled my TT (tires have cooled down by then also)...., I believe my instructions had a warning about not installing them until the TT has been leveled (ie, unhitched). Should the TT start to roll upon unhitching from the TV the X-chocks aren't designed to hold the weight of a rolling TT, and I've read an account of the X-chocks flying off the tires under this rolling condition.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I'm not familiar with the application of the BAL X-Chocks (X-Tended fit version) on the White Hawk, but I have used the standard Deluxe model for a number of years on my Eagle.

A little off topic.., but I always block my TT tires prior to unhitching, and install my BAl X-chocks after I have unhitched and leveled my TT (tires have cooled down by then also)...., I believe my instructions had a warning about not installing them until the TT has been leveled (ie, unhitched). Should the TT start to roll upon unhitching from the TV the X-chocks aren't designed to hold the weight of a rolling TT, and I've read an account of the X-chocks flying off the tires under this rolling condition.

Bob
X2 - the Bal X chocks are simply wonderful for keeping the trailer stable too.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #10

I did go ahead and buy the BAL X-tended X-Chock and I do exactly what you guys said above me. I level the trailer, block the tires once level, then unhitch and extend jacks and finally install X-Chocks. They seem to help a lot with the stabilization of the trailer.
kakman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #11

Can anyone explain what difference it makes to install them after you unhooking and level? I have always used mine in conjunction with 4 cheap yellow chalks and put them in before I unhooking and take them off after I am hooked up again.

I can understand needing to snug them up after the tires cool, but other than that I don't think it really matters.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

I'm curious to see what chocks people are using for the White Hawks.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #13

I use 4 Husky Wheel Chocks and they've maintained the stability of the trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Husky/34714.html

mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Can anyone explain what difference it makes to install them after you unhooking and level? I have always used mine in conjunction with 4 cheap yellow chalks and put them in before I unhooking and take them off after I am hooked up again.

I can understand needing to snug them up after the tires cool, but other than that I don't think it really matters.

I can tell you from experience they loosen up.......mainly if you are adjusting/leveling front to rear anything more than 6" up or down from the height you originally unhitched. We dry camp at iowa speedway on a hillside I level with 8" on side to side and 24" under the tongue! and i use 4 wedge style chocks and put the ones between the wheels before i unhitch and by the time im level front to rear my center chocks are loose! and not just alittle.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #15

I know the BAL chocks are not designed for preventing rolling, but they actually do, at least in some cases. On our last TT, we used the BAL deluxe units. The very first time out, I forgot they were still in place, and attempted to pull away, thinking I was all ready for the road. We had a Chevy Suburban at the time, with a 29 foot TT, and it would not move at all. Granted I did not gun it, but the trailer refused to budge. Got out thinking that I must have left a chock in front of a wheel, but found only the BALs. Removed them, and trailer pulled away easily. A rare case of the product being a little better than the advertisement claims, IMHO.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote