Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #1

Question Wheel flex

Just did the shakedown cruise with our new 2011 Flight 24RKS, and all seemed to go well. The wife and son drove to the campsite and set up everything on Wednesday, so all was ready when I arrived that evening. The only concern they had was that the front wheel on the right side of the trailer appeared to be twisting when my wife was angling the trailer into the campsite. By twisting, I mean that it appeared that the wheel was no longer straight in line with the other wheel on the same side. Once she backed it into the campsite, it looked fine. I checked as much as I could when I arrived; I inspected the welds where wheel meets axle, confirmed that the lug nuts were torqued to at least 40, and jacked up that side in order to check for wiggle in the wheel. Everything seemed fine. I plan to have the dealer look it over when I take it in to have the bathroom door replaced (it was damaged when we purchased it), but would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Optical illusion? Not uncommon in new trailers? Deadly peril? Thanks, all!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #2

When backing up or pulling forward around tight corners, the 4 wheel axle system twists. And depending on ground slope, they can dramatically twist (while in a tight geometry). This happens on any double and triple axle systems - like TTs, 5ers, Utility Trailers, etc. If worried about too much suspension twist, make corners in a larger area.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

This sounds normal to me while going around tight corners frontwards or backwards.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Perfectly normal. It was a surprise to me too with my first tandem axle trailer.
Jacuzzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

Yea... I agree with the guys here... The front tires of even my Eagle do the same thing. Pulling the rubber one way or another.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

Mine do that too. I believe it's normal.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Thats just normal flex in the wheels / suspension.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #8

It is a normal thing esp on the torsion axles. A few years ago I was sideswiped by someone in lala land.. when I took the trailer in for appraisal for the damage I turned hard to the damaged side and when walking around with the inspector pointed to the out of shape alignment and worried about that... got extra $$$ from the ins over it... OK not nice but they shaft on every point they can...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #9

This tt was our first with two axles. It did look weird when we first saw the same thing and initially threw us for a loop. Just as we were scratching our heads about it, another tt came backing in next door to us and their wheels did the same thing.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Just did the shakedown cruise with our new 2011 Flight 24RKS, and all seemed to go well. The wife and son drove to the campsite and set up everything on Wednesday, so all was ready when I arrived that evening. The only concern they had was that the front wheel on the right side of the trailer appeared to be twisting when my wife was angling the trailer into the campsite. By twisting, I mean that it appeared that the wheel was no longer straight in line with the other wheel on the same side. Once she backed it into the campsite, it looked fine. I checked as much as I could when I arrived; I inspected the welds where wheel meets axle, confirmed that the lug nuts were torqued to at least 40, and jacked up that side in order to check for wiggle in the wheel. Everything seemed fine. I plan to have the dealer look it over when I take it in to have the bathroom door replaced (it was damaged when we purchased it), but would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Optical illusion? Not uncommon in new trailers? Deadly peril? Thanks, all!
I don'tknow if this applies to your situation, but.... The white steel wheels that come on most TT these days are merely steel wheels that have the triangular holes punched out. They do have a tendency to warp and twist. Over time the paint will flake off where the twists occur. This eventually leads to rusting where the paint is gone. That is why I ordered my new TT with aluminum wheels.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
I don'tknow if this applies to your situation, but.... The white steel wheels that come on most TT these days are merely steel wheels that have the triangular holes punched out. They do have a tendency to warp and twist. Over time the paint will flake off where the twists occur. This eventually leads to rusting where the paint is gone. That is why I ordered my new TT with aluminum wheels.

Tom
Wow, Don and I didn't know that! We will definitely watch for flaking paint. Thanks
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #12

I got spooked by the wheels looking out of alignment when I first noticed it, and even found a website giving step by step instructions on how to re-align the axles.

In the article (don't know the URL, sorry), it told how the loops in the ends of the leaf springs have plastic bushings inside that can wear. This is where the axle attachment to the trailer is made. The article said if the bushings wear, there can be more than usual axle movement.

After backing the trailer in, or when it is parked on unlevel ground I noticed more extreme axle mis-alignment. But if I stop the trailer when pulling in a straight line, the wheels all line up nice and straight.

The tires aren't showing any unusual wear patterns, so I came to the conclusion that the "looseness" of the axles must be a built in design factor. When pulling the trailer, the wheels naturally pull the axles into straight alignment, so there's no real problem.

However, if one of the wheels does warp, or if one or more ends of the axles bends a little, throwing the wheel(s) out of alignment with the axle, then I think that's when you'd see wear. Might need it professionally aligned, or the axle replaced at that point.

But I've decided that as long as the tires are wearing correctly, everything's cool. That would tell me the wheels are rolling true.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #13

If you really want to see some wheel warp just look at a 5th wheel in a hard turn. I have alloy wheels but prefer steel because steel wheels may flex but alloy wheels can crack if too much stress is applied. Also lug nuts tend to loosen more on an alloy wheel.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #14

That was something I was told by another friend that tows boats for a living... Avoid making U Turns or Hard turns with double axles or triple axles. It really hard on the trailer and the wheels.

So knowing this like if I got to turn around I use one of the large dirt turn outs south of the house. This is much more forgiving to the tires, rims, and axles. Bcause the tires can slip to a certain extent to relieve tension.

Kind of the same principal of turning tight with a 4WD truck locked in 4WD. The axles can't slip on hard pavement but in the dirt the front axle can slip just enough to allow for a some what tight turn.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #15

Wheel flex

Thanks all, for the helpful responses; you guys are great!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #16

Good info! Didnt know that...have to watch for it sometime - except no one else in my family will drive it and the DW (and her family, its genetic) can't back up to save her life so guess I will never have the chance

...and to think....I was freaked out when I first noticed my axles had a bow in them. I thought I bent them.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post

Tom
The 32ft 5th wheel trailer we traded for our Jayco was an 03 and the wheels did not have any peeling paint or rust showing up. That is 9 years with no wheel problems. I prefer Steel wheels.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote