Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #21

um our grey water percolates into the soil. we all have septic tanks and private wells.A few take water from the lake here.

Foam on lakes is a result of aeration. Foam coalesces around pollen and remains of soil and vegetation.

No, detergent does not wash into the lake. its got a good bit of percolation in the soil.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #22

Newbie here with a stupid question about dumping and draining waste water, etc. So my tanks get full after 3 or 4 days. If I want to camp longer I have to move the trailer and dump the tanks then set up again. Is this pretty much the most common scenario? If your tanks get full, then you gotta dump them, right? Fire away.
jerpil55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerpil55 View Post
Newbie here with a stupid question about dumping and draining waste water, etc. So my tanks get full after 3 or 4 days. If I want to camp longer I have to move the trailer and dump the tanks then set up again. Is this pretty much the most common scenario? If your tanks get full, then you gotta dump them, right? Fire away.
Get yourself one of the sewer caps with a male hose fitting and when your gray gets full just attach a section of garden hose that will reach a patch of ground that will take the water and dump some of the water. No need to move to the dump station. Keep that hose specifically for that purpose. Spray paint the end of the hose gray so you don't accidentally use it for anything else. Just make sure you're respectful of the neighbors and don't flood the area. I often dump 10 or so gallons in the evening or even use the water to douse my campfire. If you're dry camping you can use the gray water to flush your toilet...double duty.
Many camp grounds without sewer hookup have "dish water dump" receptacles located within 2 or 3 sites of each other.
There's plenty of ways to get rid of the gray water without breaking camp and schlepping down to the dump station...
The key is moderation and respect for fellow campers.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 AM   #24
Site Team

Most acceptable method is to purchase a "blue boy". Barker RV Tote Portable Tanks | RV Parts Country

Most places restrict the practice of dumping grey water for environmental and legal reasons. Check with rules/laws where you are camped.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #25

Our "soil" up here is interesting stuff to me. It doesn't support much life, animal or vegetable. 25 or so years ago I watched as our well was dug. It may be the norm, don't know, but the stuff coming up with the drill was the same at 150' as the first foot. And not a single bug. Vegetation-wise, not much more than weeds. The prettiest IMO is locoweed. But it destroys horses. I've heard it takes at least 20 acres to support one cow and calf.

So while I wouldn't want dishwasher grey water dumped on it, I can't get upset over the enzymes in Tide or small amounts of sodium in other detergents.

Anyway, maybe someone could tell me if bypassing the septic tank would be potentially worse for even good soil. Seems there'd just be a time factor, but maybe not.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #26

Greywater systems do not always go into the septic tank. Sometimes they go into a separate dry well.
Where you are for sure has to do with water or not. In the desert, the cyanobacteria break down the soil and all waste has to be carried out except for pee which goes in the river.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

How do we get the wildlife to stop pooping on the ground. Not to mention pet owners who don't clean up and spray with a disinfectant.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote