Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

When to empty holding tanks?

Hello,

Reading the Jayco literature suggests that it is best to wait until the black water tank is at least 3/4 full to empty contents.

I believe this is to insure proper flow / drainage etc.

I planned to empty after every trip vs letting the camper sit for weeks with partially full tank.

What do you folks usually do?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

If my black tank isn't full from use when ready to dump I add enough fresh water to fill it before dumping. I carry a bucket to dump down the toilet in case I don't have enough water in my holding tank or I'm not at a full hookup site. Dump stations always have water I can use to fill the bucket if necessary. I don't let the black tank sit partially full between trips.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
if my black tank isn't full from use when ready to dump i add enough fresh water to fill it before dumping. I carry a bucket to dump down the toilet in case i don't have enough water in my holding tank or i'm not at a full hookup site. Dump stations always have water i can use to fill the bucket if necessary. I don't let the black tank sit partially full between trips.
^^^ amen ^^^
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

I'm on a seasonal site now but when we where weekending I always tried to get both tanks as full as possible with water before dumping and leaving. Black 1st then grey and I never let it set with anything in the tanks when not in use nor did I travel with anything in the tanks.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

I should clarify that although I don't allow waste to remain in my tank between trips, after dumping I do add a couple gallons of fresh water back into the black tank with chemicals. This serves serveral purpose, 1) creates "sloshing" while traveling to help clean any residue that might have been stuck on the tank walls, 2) so that when we camp again and the first person uses the bathroom there is some level of fluid to dilute or disolve the newly added waste and 3) it seems to help eliminate any potential bad smells from escaping between trips.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I should clarify that although I don't allow waste to remain in my tank between trips, after dumping I do add a couple gallons of fresh water back into the black tank with chemicals. This serves serveral purpose, 1) creates "sloshing" while traveling to help clean any residue that might have been stuck on the tank walls, 2) so that when we camp again and the first person uses the bathroom there is some level of fluid to dilute or disolve the newly added waste and 3) it seems to help eliminate any potential bad smells from escaping between trips.
X2, but I add PinSol to the tank after dumping, and add the toilet chemicals before we leave home for the next adventure. Works for us, and no odor issues from the black tank.

We did have a little odor issue last year, which I tracked down to the shower drain. When we travel the sloshing drains the P-trap and odor was entering the bathroom. Fixed that by installing the tube drain plug when traveling. When we get to camp I just pour a little water down the drain.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

I purchased one of these from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This gadget rocks! First time I used it I was totally amazed! Drained my 3/4 full black water tank, thought I had "everything" out, then backflushed with this tool. Couldnt bieve the "extra" stuff that came out..... Then flushed again until clear water. I'm pleased. Now I know I dont have to wait until 3/4 full.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

When we first got our 5er, for the first season I could never depend on the tank sensors to be accurate. Sometimes even right after dumping the black tank would still read 1/2 or 2/3 full. Thought I was going to have to install the Horst sensors. Then someone on this forum suggested a homemade concoction to clear the tanks, and it really worked. So far this season, all original sensors seem to be reading accurately.

What I call "sewer juice" is made like this: In a marked plastic gallon jug, add 8oz liquid fabric softener, 8oz PineSol, 8oz ammonia, and about 1 cup of baking soda. Mix together, then add water until jug is almost full. Shake a little to mix, then pour about a cup down each drain (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, etc), and the rest down the toilet. Follow with about 1 gallon of water down each drain, and 2 gallons in the toilet. Let stand until next camping trip. Just before you leave for that trip, add two ten pound bags of ice to the toilet. Ice and juice will combine to scour your tank, and never leave any odor. If possible, drain when you get to the CG, or just leave in if not possible. Dump and repeat the process before storing between camps. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

The technician at the dealership actually recommended the ice treatment during our walkaround when I picked my trailer up. Something else he mentioned, when using wood blocks under your tongue jack or leverler, place a rubber sheet on top before you extend, so if lighting hits anywhere never, your tailer is groun ded.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #10

If we are camping for just a weekend we do a bit of a longer flush just to get more water in the tank to help out with draining our tank. I also have the clear angled valve to help out with our tank. You want to dump each time you return.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #11

Could not agree with you more experienced the same thing with that gadget on our 165. We cannot rely on our sensors too much either hopefully after this trip which is with hook-ups ( first time loving it ) we will feel the same way again.
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
What I call "sewer juice" is made like this: In a marked plastic gallon jug, add 8oz liquid fabric softener, 8oz PineSol, 8oz ammonia, and about 1 cup of baking soda. Mix together, then add water until jug is almost full. Shake a little to mix, then pour about a cup down each drain (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, etc), and the rest down the toilet. Follow with about 1 gallon of water down each drain, and 2 gallons in the toilet. Let stand until next camping trip. Just before you leave for that trip, add two ten pound bags of ice to the toilet. Ice and juice will combine to scour your tank, and never leave any odor. If possible, drain when you get to the CG, or just leave in if not possible. Dump and repeat the process before storing between camps. Hope this helps.
Nice! I'm gonna follow your 'recipe' and mix up some "sewer juice" right now! Thanks for the tip.