Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #1

When to uncover in New England

Hey we're newer to the camper world and I'm wondering when everyone takes their cover off in New England? Last year he had a new baby so we didn't get out until June so I kept it covered until almost Memorial Day but this year we're heading out in mid-May so I'm tempted to uncover it now and start moving everything back in. I'm concerned about mice and also whether I should keep in protected from the elements longer. We have a lot of trees which is one of the reasons I covered it in the first. Thanks for insights.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 AM   #2

IMHO you can uncover at any time. The only thing I cover on ours is the A/C's, and those covers came off in mid-March and I dewinterized the first weekend of April. We started moving back in a couple of weeks before that, and then were out for the first time this season a couple of weeks ago. A lot of people out already out in early April.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #3

I live in CT and never covered our TT since we had it, though I know folks that have theirs covered up until the day they leave for a trip.
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

I'm not quite in New England.... New York, a hour north of The City.

We uncover and put water in the TT no sooner than the last week of April. According to the seed packets back in the 1960's there is a danger of frost until May 1st.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Live in Maine.. We have had over 100 inches of snow and we never covered it.. It is not under pine trees which currently are oozing sap and dripping. We have two acres and over a thousand trees ( mostly oak maple and beech). If you have pines you may want to leave something on top to avoid pine drool

We have it hooked to shore power and installed a plug in ultrasonic mouse repeller. No evidence of mice

Mice will go right through a cover anyway. Ask my neighbor.. He covered his AC unit on his house to find a whole family overwintered there.

We don't fill water systems until we are ready to go. De winterizing takes less than an hour. While it was a record setting 86 yesterday the last frost is usually around Mothers Day.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

My 2016 Jay Flight is down on Cape Cod. I don't cover it all. Never covered my last rig either. I thought about it last fall but I never got around to shop for a cover. I do have an A/C cover though. I've never had any issues not covering it.
Covers do not keep mice out anyways. I would uncover it now and let that sucker breath! LOL! I think we're pretty much out of the woods as far as any more snow is concerned.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I know the cover doesn't prevent mice. I guess my question was two parts, one about the cover and one about moving our stuff back in and potentially attracting mice since we won't be using the trailer until mid May.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

Cover

I only cover the AC units. So you can uncover anytime.
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

If you don't offer up dinner to the mice by loading any food into the trailer you will be fine. Once that little nose smells some food they may invite themselves in.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If you don't offer up dinner to the mice by loading any food into the trailer you will be fine. Once that little nose smells some food they may invite themselves in.

Not true. I've had mice in my shed and detached garage. No food in either. In many instances they're looking for nest materials and/or a place out of the weather. A trailer free of any food can certainly attract rodents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

I would never put food in ( even dry staples) in until the day before a trip..We have mice everywhere . We dont live in the suburbs.We live in the woods. Mice chipmunks and red squirrels get in our shed which only has paddle gear. They love foam stuff. They would eat the mattress in the trailer were it not for an ultrasonic repellent.

We have had mice chew on dry bags in sterilite containers and chew up sponges in the equipment shed.

Right now the rodent family is ensuring I have no pansies dahlias tulips or daffodils and they ate every single crocus last week.
This is New England.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote