Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Where do you store your TT?

I know a lot of people store their TTs in the driveway, back yard, or have a special garage or covering for them on their property, but this is next to impossible for us.

I'm calling storage facilities now.

I was surprised, but one place even offers a storage garage that is quite reasonable. When she calls me back, I will ask for height.

I didn't think this would be offered, but some of these places offer electricity. Do you think this is worth it? It would cost about $30-$45 per month more at these locations. (If it matters, we live in a hot, humid climate.)
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Ask what type of power they supply, probably only 15-20 amp enough to keep battery topped off. I doubt they offer 30-50amp and have a/c running all the time. I would save the money as I see no need for power at a storage lot.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

If I had my choice I would park under cover, and ideally inside year round. The camper will not determinate as quickly. The UV light is off the tires, less likely to leak. I suspect you'll have less maintenance, due to the lake of weather.

Also if you can store indoors, I suspect the risk of damage via theft will be greatly reduced.

The idea of a little power sounds nice. You could stop out a few days earlier and turn on the frig (electric), ensure the batteries are charged up.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

mine is in the driveway , full sun and weather, plugged in to a dedicated 20amp receptacle so we can keep a/c on when hot, battery charged, refrig on. I figure not paying storage fee off set electric cost. Plus we can keep a close eye on it.

We are lucky that our HOA allows rv's
Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Mine is in my backyard along side my detached garage. I have a dedicated 30 amp circuit setup just for her... Unfortunately its outside. I'm considering a metal canopy to keep it protected as much as I can but cost is a factor at the moment.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #6

One of the requirements when we were looking for houses in 2015 was that I wanted to park our camper at our house. I didn't want to have to have another bill to pay.

So when we bought the house we bought, I poured a 24x20 extension to the driveway that wrapped behind the house and allows us to park the camper tucked right up. The house keeps the sun off the camper for some of the day, and it isn't fully seen from the road.

Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

I store mine in a local RV storage facility about 20 min away from home (60 min round trip to hookup and return). Fenced lot, tons of security cameras, onsite owner, and well away from populated areas. Costs $3/linear foot/month.

I keep a solar panel on the roof so the battery is always topped off. Owner offers free electric (24 max hours only, and have to move trailer to it), free water if you want to fill there, free air for tires.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #8

If I had to pay $50 or more a month to store an RV I'd opt to not buy one. Thats $600 a year and unless you sell it way sooner you'll end up paying $6,000 over a 10 year stretch. Couple that with the horrendous depreciation and thats just too much money thrown away.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

I'm lucky enough to store it behind my house under a Carolina Carport. Paid about $2400 installed for the carport. We have a 20 amp circuit and extension cord out to the camper, mainly to keep the battery charged and we turn the fridge on a day before we leave for trips.

I wouldn't pay extra for electricity though. You can either get a solar trickle charger for cheap or take the battery home 2 or 3 times a year and charge it at home.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
mine is in the driveway , full sun and weather, plugged in to a dedicated 20amp receptacle so we can keep a/c on when hot, battery charged, refrig on. I figure not paying storage fee off set electric cost. Plus we can keep a close eye on it.

We are lucky that our HOA allows rv's
Mine is in the driveway also plugged in to a receptacle on my garage.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #11

Next to garage, poured a 12x40 pad
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

Carport with a 50amp power supply in the backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #13

Mine is coming home tomorrow, first time in the drive at home.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Our TT "vacationed" for years at numerous outdoor storage yards when not in use. About the only thing I did was disconnect the battery between uses in camping season (otherwise, it fully discharged after about a few weeks from the "phantom" draws of the CD player/radio's clock and Propane detector) and store the battery at home in winter. For about 10 winters, I stored the TT underground in a limestone mine.

Today, the TT is parked at our home in it's own FHU "campsite", complete with 20/30/50 amp service. However, nothing's changed from my procedures above and the only time I plug it in is if I need electricity to do something or cool down the refrigerator before loading it for a trip. During winter, the TT sometimes looks like this:

To spend an extra $35 - $40 a month to keep a battery charged is not cost effective. Remove the battery and keep it charged at home. Reinstall the battery and start the refrigerator on propane the night before you load it. You'll be dollars ahead. Then use the savings to take your significant other out to dinner.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #15

In my driveway, beside my house. I also have a dedicated 30Amp outlet right beside the trailer.
That is why when house hunting we made sure no deed restrictions and no home owners associations.
Sure is nice having the trailer right beside the house. Can work on it anytime.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 AM   #16
Site Team

If it's completely enclosed ask how they deal with propane in the rv's?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I know a lot of people store their TTs in the driveway, back yard, or have a special garage or covering for them on their property, but this is next to impossible for us.

I'm calling storage facilities now.

I was surprised, but one place even offers a storage garage that is quite reasonable. When she calls me back, I will ask for height.

I didn't think this would be offered, but some of these places offer electricity. Do you think this is worth it? It would cost about $30-$45 per month more at these locations. (If it matters, we live in a hot, humid climate.)
Reading some of the responses I know you feel as I do that it would be wonderful if you could keep it at home but you said that was impossible for you. I live in an HOA that does not allow too. I also read the response that tried to make sense of the expense of storage. That is lke trying to justify the cost of a TT in the first place (think of how many hotel rooms you could pay for the cost of a TT). I think we all have them because we love the lifestyle and if it takes paying for secure covered storage to live the lifestyle it is a price I'll gladly pay. I like covered for the reasons mentioned:
1. Out of the weather (hail and UV rays)
2. Stays cleaner between wash and wax jobs

Security and ease of access are the two biggest issues in picking a good storage facility.

I skipped the power because I remove the battery and take it home to keep it charged. My storage is only 10 minutes from the house so going early and hooking up battery and starting the fridge etc. is not an issue. If it was far from home I'd pay a little for power but $40-$50 a month seems outrageous, should be more like $10/month tops.

Hope you find a good spot and never try to make economic sense out of TT ownership - I equate it to paying $5,000/year for the privilege of living like a homeless person.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Hope you find a good spot and never try to make economic sense out of TT ownership - I equate it to paying $5,000/year for the privilege of living like a homeless person.
Start by buying a boat. After owning (and maintaining) the boat for a bit, sell it and then buy the trailer. Owning a trailer makes a lot more sense this way...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Start by buying a boat. After owning (and maintaining) the boat for a bit, sell it and then buy the trailer. Owning a trailer makes a lot more sense this way...
Had a boat first for about 10 years and was the cliché - my two happiest days were the day I bought it and the day I sold it - can't make economic sense of boat ownership either.

You can tell the age of the boys by the cost of their toys.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post

Wait!......you mean I was supposed to sell the boat before I bought the travel trailer? I must be doing it wrong.

They are not mutually exclusive, however. The pic below was taken while camping in the Ocala National Forest at the Salt Springs Recreation Area.
Had to use both tow vehicles to make it happen, but well worth it!

10canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote