Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Site Team
Our rig has a sliding cabinet that add loads of counter top work space but slides away when not needed.

One must have for us in the new rig was the ability to get to the kitchen , dinette and bath with all slides in. It just fits our travel style. When we saw this fp, it was a done deal.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
We looked hard at the 29BHDS, and loved the island. Our decision came down to availability: ordering the 29BHDS and receiving in the non-trip months. vs buying the 284BHBE on the lot for a good deal and getting a season out of it.

We still would have enjoyed having the 29, but we love our Eagle BHBE.

2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #13
Originally Posted by oldenuftoknowbetter View Post
On most of the island models, you have a slide-out that opens out into the space covered by the awning. Not a good design IMHO.
While I like the islands I hate the slide opening into the awning. I am currently shopping for a larger trailer and refuse to even consider a unit that has a slide opening into the awning as we spend lots of time outside under the awning and it is hard enough to get 2 adults and 3 teens under there lounging out comfortably.

TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh
TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #14
Here's what happened to Bikini Island:

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
Looking at the 2016 White Hawk specs, the gray water capacity in our 28DSBH is 45 gallons. There are 2 tanks for the galley and the bath, each 22.5 gallons. The 28BHKS grey water capacity is only 53 gallons, with the same dual tank setup. The one for the bath is a 30.5 gallon tank, which is where the difference is. for us, not enough to worry about. Our former trailer was smaller but had 2 - 35 gallon grey tanks. Some of the other Jayco brands may have other tank differences, and I agree, the bigger the better on most of it. We generally don't stay places without full hookups, but we have a portable tank for when we do. I just don't like having to use it... yes... in fact I am lazy...

I think the island thing just boils down to personal preference. We thought we wanted one and got to compare with and without, side by side, and decided we didn't really want it.
Jack and Delores, Weatherford, Texas
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH TT, 2014 Ram 4X4 2500 CTD
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
We have a 2016 33RBTS and bought it specifically for the island and layout. Yes, the kitchen slide does protrude into the awning space a little bit, but the slide is shorter than the opposing slides for the living and bunkhouse areas. In reality, once we used it a couple of times, it's not that big of a deal. The interior space created by the three slides is great, but we have 3 teens, two dogs and inevitably a friend or two comes along. The kitchen island is clever, with each side swinging out to provide additional storage. We like it a lot, but that's the beauty of so many different floor plans, something for everyone.
2016 Jay Flight 33RBTS
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.4l
On The Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
I definitely hope these were eliminated due to not being popular rather than having issues. We just purchased a 2017 28RBDS in May and love it. The extra storage and counter space on the island works well for us. We were very concerned about the slide taking away from the awning area and while it does affect it a bit, it's not a dealbreaker.

As On The Lam pointed out, there are lots of options out there and different floorplans will fit different people's needs.
Ally39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
Just an update for those following the thread, some of the models are now back on Jayco's website, perhaps it was just a glitch. Good discussion none the less, I agree its definitely a preference thing and I am glad we have so many options to pick from.
2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
28RBDS Experience

These posts have some interesting points. We upgraded to a Jay Flight Elite 28RBDS last fall (left over 2015 stock). We had 3 requirements for our new TT based on our old one (R-Vision 8263S) as follows: larger bathroom (32" tub/shower that you had to enter by stepping over the toilet). The 60" glass door shower stall with skylight is awesome! And the shower gray tank lasted through a week of dry camping. We wanted 4 chairs & a table for dining as opposed to a booth-it was in there! And, we wanted a bigger kitchen (old one had about 3 square feet of counter space). The island with a side counter on the rearward kitchen wall is perfect for us. The awning side slide only goes out about 18-20" so it is really not intrusive under the awning very much. Add to this the outside kitchen, dual fresh water tanks (82 gallons), swiveling TV to the bedroom, large storage closet above the outside kitchen and we are very pleased with it. We have been on 6 camping trips so far this season and have yet to find anything we don't like about it. The quality as well as our dealer (Johnston RV in Webster, NY) is very good as well. Overall we are extremely pleased with our Jayco!
HFD147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
Own a 2014 White Hawk 30DSRE with a kitchen slide and Island. Its just the 2 of us and the wife loves the island. Gives her more space for kitchen stuff and I don't get yelled at for getting in the way. With a large super slide covering almost all of the main salon, there is plenty of room to roam around without bumping in to each other. Our bathroom is directly inside the entry so access with the slides closed is not an issue.

When we came across this model, our search stopped. Have loved it ever since and happy with our timing because this model was dropped for the 2015 model year????? Rumor was it was pulling buyers from the a similar model in another Jayco line.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote