Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Where have the Islands gone?

So I noticed the 2017 Jayflight line Now (this is a recent change) doesn't list the 29BHDS (which definitely there HAVE been 2017 models as they are out there on lots), 23MDS and the 32IBTS was discontinued in the 2016 model year. That appears that Jayco has removed all travel trailers with the islands except the 33RBTS.

So whats wrong with the islands? Is it just a preference thing that wasn't popular or more concerning is it a technical issue?

We didn't buy because of the island but more for the tank sizes, but we do like the extra storage/counter space it offers. If there is a problem I need to be watching for during our Warranty however, I would really like to know.

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

Yeah, I love the islands too. Wife and I head to the Caribbean each December just to cruise those islands. Lol.

Happy RVing,
Jeff

havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #3

I always have felt islands were just a fad that I didn't want. An obstacle right in the middle of the rig and not enough room behind it? Not for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Site Team

We purchased our last new rig before the islands became popular. We never cared for them but I have no idea if that had an impact.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:41 AM   #5

On most of the island models, you have a slide-out that opens out into the space covered by the awning. Not a good design IMHO.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #6

Having a decent sized kitchen, with ample counter space for meal prep, was a requirement for us as DW has an autoimmune disease that forces her to be VERY careful about what she eats. Our experience so far is that an island is the only way to get a decent amount of counter space.

Agree with oledenuf that choices are somewhat limited it you don't want want to lose a lot of your awning space. IMHO our current rig gives us the best of both worlds, especially since we have the second awning option.
2015 White Hawk 29REKS Summit Edition (Traded)
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Yeah, I love the islands too. Wife and I head to the Caribbean each December just to cruise those islands. Lol.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Exactly! Nothing wrong with those or the Hawaiian Islands, Why on earth would you want them to go away!

touché

Old 08-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Having just been through the process.... We have been researching TTs for a couple of years, and thought we wanted a 28BHKS. It had a kitchen slide and the island sink. We thought we had our minds made up on that model. Side-by-side comparison with the 28DSBH, however, revealed that there was more maneuvering room without the island. From a practical standpoint, the extra slide costs more, weighs more, and will require more maintenance. We could have afforded either, but chose the open floor plan without the island. The salesman was kind of lamenting how hard it has been to sell the island-kitchen models... so it doesn't surprise me that they are dropping them from the line-up. We're very pleased without the island, which is funny considering how long we waited for one to arrive so we could look at it...
Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Having just been through the process.... We have been researching TTs for a couple of years, and thought we wanted a 28BHKS. It had a kitchen slide and the island sink. We thought we had our minds made up on that model. Side-by-side comparison with the 28DSBH, however, revealed that there was more maneuvering room without the island. From a practical standpoint, the extra slide costs more, weighs more, and will require more maintenance. We could have afforded either, but chose the open floor plan without the island. The salesman was kind of lamenting how hard it has been to sell the island-kitchen models... so it doesn't surprise me that they are dropping them from the line-up. We're very pleased without the island, which is funny considering how long we waited for one to arrive so we could look at it...
Interesting. I will have to go inside one without an island sometime. Our REQUIREMENT list included large grey water tanks, and we just couldn't find anything that had the grey tank capacity in the 2015 line we were looking in (even though we ended up with a 2016) other than the island model. The 28BHBE units we found had a smaller tank at that time, its upgraded now.

As far as maneuvering, i will definitely say its a pain when its folded up you cant get from front to back. Using the bathroom on the road is sort of a pain, in 1 door, pump on, out and around the unit, use the facilities, back in and turn off the pump.

Glad I am not seeing any major technical problems with them as the reason for discontinuing.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

I guess I am in the minority as well with the island. I didn't care for them until my brother bought a big TH with a kitchen slide and island. They are great. One of the main reasons I upgraded from my previous TT was for counter space and interior storage. MUCH better with my Eagle compared to my previous Bullet BH.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote