Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Which frame and siding?

I've heard two opposing opinions from two different salesmen.
I would like your take on this...

Which is better for longevity-- the newer type trailer with aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior, or the wood frame and aluminum exterior?

I'm specifically wondering which one holds up better over time.

One salesman said the wood frame and aluminum exterior are tried and true; less prone to water damage.

Another salesman said that the aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior were preferable. He said any water getting in would cause the wood frame to expand and ruin the trailer in our climate. (If it matters, we live in SE Texas, which is hot and extremely humid.)

I'm thinking that if water gets in, the floor is my biggest issue (and it's wood in either).

I'm wanting something that will hold up better over time. Jayco makes both.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've had both and just bought new this year.
I went with Aluminum siding.
I think both hold up equally well when properly maintained.

My reasoning was ease to repair and no worries for all the blistering and delamination I am seeing with the fiberglass siding.
I think the side wall build process is much more technical and subject to minor variations in the process to give me bigger problems in the long run.

Any problems I have is much cheaper to fix with the ease of removing and replacing sections if it ever came to that. Not so with fiberglass.

I also think the aluminum looks better and doesn't fade like fiberglass. Much easier to maintain great appearance over longer time with less work.

I was concerned about hail damage, but we just had 1/2" hail here yesterday and no issues. The siding gives somewhat so I think it flexes enough to take most of the impact.

JMHO,

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Which frame and siding?

Comes down to cost, weight and appearance. Fiberglas sides cost more, weigh more and to me look better. I've had both. That's the only difference I've come across. As far as framing, pretty sure my 2017 JayFlight 28BHBE is wood framed and yes it has fiberglass sides...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

And having had both, the smooth side fiberglass is a little easier to wash and wax.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

Correct, the 2017 28BHBE is a wood frame TT. Fiberglass was an option available on all Jay Flight's. Unfortunately the fiberglass sidewalls on the Jay Flights are not vacuum bonded, they are pinch rolled. From what I've read, the pinch rolled process isn't quite as good as the vacuum bonded method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Comes down to cost, weight and appearance. Fiberglas sides cost more, weigh more and to me look better. I've had both. That's the only difference I've come across. As far as framing, pretty sure my 2017 JayFlight 28BHBE is wood framed and yes it has fiberglass sides...

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

I went from a trailer with fiberglass sides and aluminum frame, Koala 21CS, to a wood frame and aluminum siding, 23RB.

I suspect I will prefer the smooth sidewall of the Koala 21CS compared to the aluminum sidewall of the 23RB when washing and waxing. However, the Jay Flight line of trailers seemed to offer me everything I wanted WRT floor plan and price point. So, I will put up with the aluminum sides.

I could have gotten the $1800+ fiberglass option for the sides, but that sent the price point higher than I wanted, and if I were getting a trailer with fiberglass sides, I'd want one whose fiberglass sides were vacuum bonded.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #7

Which frame and siding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I could have gotten the $1800+ fiberglass option for the sides, but that sent the price point higher than I wanted, and if I were getting a trailer with fiberglass sides, I'd want one whose fiberglass sides were vacuum bonded.

Yes fiberglass is more. I stated that as one of the differences. But the price you mention is MSRP. Hope you got around 30% off when buying your trailer so the option is a little bit less. But it's great they make options to suit price points for all. I'll take fiberglass over aluminum regardless of if it's rolled or bonded lol.

OP no matter what you choose you have to maintain seals and the roof. Both will last a long time if you do. So buy what you like. Just like you've found, people have different opinions just like the sales people you've talked to. Just take care of whatever you buy. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post

OP no matter what you choose you have to maintain seals and the roof. Both will last a long time if you do. So buy what you like. Just like you've found, people have different opinions just like the sales people you've talked to. Just take care of whatever you buy. Good luck!
X2
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #9

We like the vacuum bonded fiberglass on our White Hawk. I believe it provides better air sealing and insulating value than the wood-framed aluminum sides but we have noticed that it has faded in less than 2 years even though we have waxed it at least 4 times. I would also think that repairs would be more difficult and expensive. But, having said that, we would probably select it again over the wood-framed, batt insulation walls.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

I hear people talk of siding having wood framing as if the fiberglass doesn't.
Unless I'm mistakin, both fiberglass and siding have the same wood frame underneath. (Jayflight line).
I've asked the same questions to multiple dealers. Common answer is fiberglass is more expensive and it adds weight. If fiberglass gets damaged it is much more difficult to repair, chances are an entire wall might have to be removed and replaced. Siding on the other hand can simply be removed and replaced on the existing wall.
Windows on fiberglass are very limited in how far they open for fresh air.
I can't give opinion on all this washing and waxing stuff, I've never done either in my 5 yrs of camping. I've have had dealer wash it once when it was in for some preventative work and it came out looking like it was new ( I have siding).( it's a 2009 29BHS G2).
Sounds like there have been a few cases of some fading w fiberglass.
In the end, both are good , fiberglass looks incredibly awesome, siding looks fine.
Take care of both and they both will last as long as you have the unit.
Get what you want and enjoy it.
Here is link on both using same wood frame construction, scroll up to 1:50
https://youtu.be/DH51kcjNRFI
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
I hear people talk of siding having wood framing as if the fiberglass doesn't.
Unless I'm mistakin, both fiberglass and siding have the same wood frame underneath. (Jayflight line).

https://youtu.be/DH51kcjNRFI
Don't know about the Jay Flight line but the White Hawk line has metal studs instead of wood studs.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #12

Jay Flight line has wood frame walls, floor, and roof. For the past several years, Jayco has offered fiberglass siding as an option to be hung on the wood framing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
Don't know about the Jay Flight line but the White Hawk line has metal studs instead of wood studs.

Ken

Old 07-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

<snip>

I'm specifically wondering which one holds up better over time.

<snip>

I'm wanting something that will hold up better over time. Jayco makes both.
Jayco does make both, but not in the same product line. As others have mentioned where fiberglass vs aluminum is an option the fiberglass is still installed over wood framing.

Preventative maintenance (staying ahead of water penetration) is key to keeping either in good shape. Water won't make your aluminum studs swell, but it can still rot the fiberglass backer and cause delamination.

In terms of spontaneous (non-leak induced, non-impact damage, etc.) failure modes, I can't really think of any for aluminum skins. Some (small) percentage of fiberglass will develop spontaneous lamination failures over time, and some fiberglass surfaces/paint processes seem to be much more prone to fading/dulling over a handful of years. On the flip side as others have mentioned fiberglass is much easier to wash/wax, and is more hail resistant.

We camp in lots of national/state/local parks with no electric (and thus no A/C) so the wider opening windows on an aluminum trailer seem appealing, but presumably in SE Texas you're normally going to need to have AC so the cleaner looking frameless windows that come with the fiberglass sidewalls could be a positive.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote