Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Wink Which is better Strait-line trunnion or Round Bars?

Hey everyone,
I am still trying to figure out which WDH to purchase and now my question is in regards to round bars or the trunnion bars. I have no clue which one to get or if the round bars or trunnion bars are better. If someone could let me know that would be great. Thanks for your help.
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Based on performance, they both do the job. I have had both and I really like the trunnion style the best. Not a fan of the entire round bar set up. That is my opinion of course. See article I found on eTrailer.com

Which Weight Distribution Style is Better, Trunnion Bar or Round Bar Question: which system is better ... trunnion or round/flat bar? asked by: Samuel D

Expert Reply: You will hear arguments for both, the general consensus around etrailer.com is that trunnion systems are the better design. The bars are very easy to remove and install in the head. Since there is no bend in them, they are considered stronger and more durable. Since the head does not come down and the bars do not stick out of the bottom, there are less ground clearance issues. Some people argue that round bar systems are easier to adjust, but you set the brackets and head once and as long as you are towing the same trailer, you usually do not have to adjust them again.

The top of the line system we offer is the Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution System with Trunnion Bars like part # RP66074. The trunnion bars are typically easier to install and remove from the head and the Dual Cam sway control system that comes in the Strait-Line system is the top of the line sway control that Reese offers. It is a pro-active system that works to prevent sway before it even starts.

If you are pulling a boat trailer with surge brakes, you would not be able to use a system with Dual Cam sway control. Chain attached systems prevent trailer momentum from activating the surge coupler, so you would need to use a friction system like the # RP66153 kit that you were looking at.

If you write back with the gross weight and tongue weight of your trailer, I can recommend some specific kits for you. expert reply by: Patrick B

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, when properly sized and adjusted both the round bar and trunnion bar will provided the same weight distribution results and sway control (Strait-Line WDH).

Also......,

* A Reese trunnion bar ball mount will provide a wider range of tilt adjustment, round bar has limited tilt adjustment. This is a plus when adjusting for adequate clearances.
* A Reese round bar ball mount can minimize some clearance issues (especially on tall frames) when the TT ball coupler is welded on top of the A-frame.
* A Reese trunnion bar ball mount in most cases minimizes most clearance issues when the TT ball coupler is welded on the bottom of the A-frame.
* Reese trunnion style offer higher weight ratings should one need it.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

I liked the round ones better as I found them easier to put on every time.. but my hensley is way better yet.. just way more $$$
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote