Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

White hawk quality?

In 2012 we bought a brand new white hawk that we fell in love with. After owning it for 2 years it was literally falling apart. The final nail in the coffin was when we took it on a 6,000 mile trip. The fresh water tank fell out, there was an awful squeal from the wheel hubs when turning, the slide was binding bad, factory TV mount fell off the wall, the front cap was faded bad, water pump quit working, bed support broke, ect, ect, ect.

Anyway, we took a beating but sold it and bought an XLR 5th wheel toy hauler. It's been a great trailer but I'm just not into the toy hauler layout. We recently went to our local jayco dealer to look at travel trailers and wouldn't you know it, we found a white hawk that we really really love.

Only problem is now I'm a little skittish with making another white hawk purchase. Have any other white hawk owners had good or bad luck you'd like to share with me?

Thanks!
Kc8yhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #2

Nothing has changed since 2012
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 AM   #3

A lot has changed since 2012. One huge differences is that the floor is plywood now, not the crappy foam sandwich design that usually develops soft spots. I believe the front cap is now painted too so it won't fade. After looking at several on dealer lots and inspecting them in just about every nook and cranny, the Whitehawk stood above anything else we looked at and was far superior to our current Prime Time Tracer. So, we have one on order...

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc8yhk View Post
In 2012 we bought a brand new white hawk that we fell in love with. After owning it for 2 years it was literally falling apart. The final nail in the coffin was when we took it on a 6,000 mile trip. The fresh water tank fell out, there was an awful squeal from the wheel hubs when turning, the slide was binding bad, factory TV mount fell off the wall, the front cap was faded bad, water pump quit working, bed support broke, ect, ect, ect.

Anyway, we took a beating but sold it and bought an XLR 5th wheel toy hauler. It's been a great trailer but I'm just not into the toy hauler layout. We recently went to our local jayco dealer to look at travel trailers and wouldn't you know it, we found a white hawk that we really really love.

Only problem is now I'm a little skittish with making another white hawk purchase. Have any other white hawk owners had good or bad luck you'd like to share with me?

Thanks!
Hi, we're in our first year of ownership, a 2017 White Hawk 28DSBH. We only have about 8 nights camping and 1,200 miles on her, so time will tell, but so far there have been no major issues. I shared some pretty detailed initial impressions here a couple of weeks after we got her, and also wrote up our impressions on pickup day here. I'd still stand by the things I wrote in both posts - nothing's really changed. Overall (and again, SO FAR), we're very happy with our White Hawk. <fingers crossed>

I will say that when you bought the 2012 I believe that was the first model year for the White Hawk. I always try not to buy the first model year of anything. I know early White Hawks had soft floor issues (when they were laminated rather than plywood), underrated axles, etc. Those flaws have all been worked out...

Hope this helps a little, good luck whatever you decide!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

We own a 2016 27DSRL and have had no major concerns.

Our table was wobbly and was secured easily enough. We had a small water leak under the sink, which after a few tightening of various connections, has corrected. We also made a point of tightening same under the shower and tub, once we realized our kitchen problem.

Everything else works like a charm. We are currently using it for our first winter visit to Arizona. We really like the trailer, but are realizing it's probably too small to live in for 4 months with a Golden Retriever and the cat! Might be OK for some, but we find it a bit tight. We might sell and get something larger!

Good luck with your choice!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote