Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

White Hawk verses Jay Flight Questions

Hi All,

I am buying a travel trailer for the first time in 30 years. I was recently a full timer with a 40 foot motorhome for 8 years. Miss the rv life and want to try a smaller rv.

Like the looks of the White Hawk. Looking at the rear living are units from both lines. Wife likes the Flight better due to the additional storage in the kitchen.

I am wondering about the construction differences. Wood stick and tin verses the fiber glass walls. The white hawk seems more aerodynamic with the plastic front end. Like the Windows on the white hawk too.

Saw a fiber glass version of the Flight. Did not like the look of the walls.

What do you white hawk and flight owners think about the two models? I have one is built better? Any difference in pulling?

Appreciate any comments.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Forgot to mention I will be buying a truck to pull it. Looking at a F150 verses a Dodge 2500. This truck would be my daily driver.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

White Hawk uses a different frame than the Jay Flight. White Hawk uses a Norco NextGen frame. Jay Flight uses an I-beam frame.

And from what I can tell, White Hawks have less CCC than a Jay Flight of roughly the same length.

Thirdly, The White Hawk carries much less fresh water, and generally has smaller gray and black tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Hi All,

I am buying a travel trailer for the first time in 30 years. I was recently a full timer with a 40 foot motorhome for 8 years. Miss the rv life and want to try a smaller rv.

Like the looks of the White Hawk. Looking at the rear living are units from both lines. Wife likes the Flight better due to the additional storage in the kitchen.

I am wondering about the construction differences. Wood stick and tin verses the fiber glass walls. The white hawk seems more aerodynamic with the plastic front end. Like the Windows on the white hawk too.

Saw a fiber glass version of the Flight. Did not like the look of the walls.

What do you white hawk and flight owners think about the two models? I have one is built better? Any difference in pulling?

Appreciate any comments.

Steve
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is a thread on the topic with links to other threads as well.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-25686.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

The model lineup has changed somewhat since some of those threads were posted.
The current WH 27DSRL is #600 heavier than my 2013 and the JayFlight 28RLS is a much heavier trailer than the 26RLS was.

Having owned both lines of TT, the WH has a nicer interior, however the Jay Flight has larger tanks. Can't go wrong with either.

Assuming I have mentioned the models you are interested in, I would go with the 2500 series truck. (Would not own a current RAM truck due to terrible reliability rating.)

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the JOF!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

The new White Hawks have solid plywood floors and they do weigh more. I have a few more complaints about mine now that it's been towed about 3500 miles and has 12 nights camped in it... since August 3rd when we got it. I don't generally care about the fresh water capacity because I usually just carry 4 or 5 gallons for road-side flushes, but the grey tanks are too small, even with there being 2 of them. But since I usually stay where there's full hook-ups, I'm not that concerned.The sucky mattress has already been replaced. There's no battery disconnect. I've already blown a Ranier tire and destroyed the aluminum wheel, and can find no one that wants to even talk to me about it, let alone guide me through getting a new tire and wheel. Through all of that I have some good things to say about it. The blown tire beat the crud out of the fender well but there's no damage to the trailer. From what I've seen so far it's head and shoulders better than the Forest River product I sold to buy it. It's tighter and heats and cools much quicker. It's only a couple of feet longer but seems twice as roomy. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Most importantly, it has the Nora (5 year-old grand daughter) Seal of Approval, so long as I don't allow anyone else to sleep in her top bunk. Since I have 5 other grand kids, that might be a bit of a problem.

In short, I probably wouldn't be any happier if it was an Airstream... It's getting an upgrade to LRD Carlisle HD tires as soon as the new wheel arrives.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

I have a WH 2014 , and If I had to do it again I would go with a conventional stick and tin Jayflight. Easier and cheaper to repair body wise , no risk of delamination , almost anybody can repair the exterior wall if you end up with a leaks. Tin wont fade if you take care of it, Im not sure about the fiberglass or the plastic cap after all the story written on this site , actually I had to buff mine twice to bring back the shine on my front wall....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I think the Whitehawk is a beautiful trailer .... but at the end of the day, my choice would be the Jayflight. I'm a firm believer in the "stick and Tin" as they call it. I have seen way to many delaminated fiberglass trailers, and not by one or two manufacturers. The biggest problem is the lack of maintenance, and you can partially blame that one on the dealer. Who has picked up a new trailer, and during the walkaround, they tell you to get up on the roof every spring and fall and inspect? Not to many i'm sure. I think the old stick and tin can be more forgiving with the lack of maintenance. So, if you lite the WH, go for it, just make sure you baby it, make sure it gets checked over, and i'm sure it will last you a long time. As for the tow vehicle .... Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy etc .... our saying is...the Ford F150, the choice odf campers everywhere ( and i work for the General ) , numbers don't lie, if there are 10 trucks in the campground, safe bet 5 or 6 re Fords .... they own work!
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The new White Hawks have solid plywood floors and they do weigh more. I have a few more complaints about mine now that it's been towed about 3500 miles and has 12 nights camped in it... since August 3rd when we got it. I don't generally care about the fresh water capacity because I usually just carry 4 or 5 gallons for road-side flushes, but the grey tanks are too small, even with there being 2 of them. But since I usually stay where there's full hook-ups, I'm not that concerned.The sucky mattress has already been replaced. There's no battery disconnect. I've already blown a Ranier tire and destroyed the aluminum wheel, and can find no one that wants to even talk to me about it, let alone guide me through getting a new tire and wheel. Through all of that I have some good things to say about it. The blown tire beat the crud out of the fender well but there's no damage to the trailer. From what I've seen so far it's head and shoulders better than the Forest River product I sold to buy it. It's tighter and heats and cools much quicker. It's only a couple of feet longer but seems twice as roomy. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Most importantly, it has the Nora (5 year-old grand daughter) Seal of Approval, so long as I don't allow anyone else to sleep in her top bunk. Since I have 5 other grand kids, that might be a bit of a problem.

In short, I probably wouldn't be any happier if it was an Airstream... It's getting an upgrade to LRD Carlisle HD tires as soon as the new wheel arrives.

Good luck with your choice!

What did you replace your mattress with (and where did you purchase it). Ours sux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowait View Post
What did you replace your mattress with (and where did you purchase it). Ours sux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe it's a Perfect Cloud or Cloud Perfect... (I'm old)... We got it from Amazon. It sleeps pretty good, now. We have the same mattress on our king bed at home so there's no difference when we hit the road or get back.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

I had a 14 WH 23mbh that we used for 3 seasons, never had any issues with it and it still looked new when we traded. We now have a 16 JF 27bhs with the elite package. Interior wise the JF is nicer but that's probably due to the upgraded cabinet and fridge doors. It has a taller ceiling and an 80" queen bed too, WH ceiling wasn't much over 6 feet and the bed was a shorty. I can tell after a few months of ownership that it will be more work keeping the JF watertight due to the siding ribs where the corners meet as I've already had to touch up a few spots.
On the delam subject, my first trailer was a fiberglass model built in 04 and it never had any delam when we traded it at 8 yrs of age. Be vigilant and keep some caulk handy and either should last a long time. Good luck with whatever you chose, they are both good choices in my opinion.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Big,

We own a 2017 White Hawk and love it so far. Here are a few links that might be helpful as you try to decide:

Our purchase and pickup experience: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...yco-36378.html

Our first impressions: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...awk-36716.html

Mods we've made: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post451532

Our photo album: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1125.html

Hope these help and good luck! Let us know which rig you end up with.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

We went to the local furniture store and purchased a standard pillow top mattress. I makes it a little tight getting around it but it is doable. I built an extension to the storage cover to give support to the extra length. Sleeps much better - my main problem was with the length of the camper mattress.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote