Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Whitehawk shower drain problem

After about one year of ownership of a 2013 30 foot Jayco my shower started to drain very slowly. A couple of hours of isolating the problem and disconnecting the drain pipe under the shower (through the inspecting port) and I pulled a condom looking piece of flexible plastic tubing out of the drain. It was partially grabbed in the coupling between two pieces of the drain.
Never seen anything like it before so I sent the question as well as pictures to Jayco customer service. Very quick service.
This is a substitution for a drain trap. It evidently was supposed to permit water to drain from the shower to grey water tank but not allow water or odors to migrate in the opposite direction.
If your shower begins to drain slowly and it is still under warranty take back to the dealer, if not and you elect to disassemble the drain yourself be prepared for an ordeal laying on your side and working through the inspection port. It is a bitch of a job.
The decision to use this appliance was evidently made by someone listening to a salesman more than common sense.
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #2

Don't know if this means I don't have one in my drain, because we experienced a back flow into the shower base while on an extended stay on the Gulf coast recently. Got complacent and didn't drain the holding tank soon enough. Was using the shower stall for overflow storage and noticed a musty smell. Well some stuff got wet.

What were you told? Is this something they were putting on W Hawks or was your's a fluke?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #3

Yes, I was told by Jayco customer service that there was not room for a trap so they used this piece of flexible tubing.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Shower drain problem.

Yeah, Jayco customer service said there was not room under the shower stall for a trap so they used this piece of flexible plastic tubing (conformed flat) in place of the trap.
Yes I got wet too.