Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
What made up my mind to get the Jayflight instead of a WhiteHawk was the small holding tank capacities. On my trailer the Jayflight model holds 40 gallons more water and the black/gray tanks are nearly twice the size. That tells me that either the frame or axles are more robust and can handle abuse better. I think the White Hawks have a next gen Norco frame which I am not the biggest fan of if you are ever going to leave the pavement.

2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
White hawk 24rks

We just bought a White Hawk 24RKS, there is just the two of us and our 2 small dogs. We looked at tons of trailers at least 60-70 different brands and floor plans and decided on this one for the fact it was a Jayco, weight, the floor plan fit our needs, fiberglass construction, and 2 year warranty. We are pulling it with a 2014 F-150 4X4 5.0, no problems.

2015 White Hawk 24RKS
2014 F150 4X4 5.0
merlin417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
I looked closely at both in the 28 foot BH models, and chose the Jay Flight over the WH and it was the little things like the main bed room wardrobe doors... The window valences wouldn't let you open the doors all the way. And there were a few more things that led me to the JF.
Kevin "Corndog" Cameron
2016 Ram 2500 CTD TRADESMAN
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
There seems to be several options out there for you like the Whitehawk, the Jay Flight, or some other brand. We owned a 2013 Whitehawk 28DSBH (similar in weight to the Whitehawk 27DSRL). It was a good trailer and we really liked it, but we felt we did not want the light weight trailer anymore. We first towed it with a 2012 GMC, tow package, 5.3 engine, 3.42 rear end pickup, which did a fine job of towing that trailer. Then I purchased a 2014 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow to tow the Whitehawk. Not long after that we purchased a 2015 Jay Flight 27RLS, Elite Option with Fiberglass sidewalls. We feel it is more heavy duty and more stable when set up for camping than the light weight trailer (28DSBH). I had purchased a new 2014 F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow to tow my travel trailer, knowing I would purchase a heavier tongue weight trailer. I chose the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow over the F250 because I wanted the better fuel economy when not towing. I have owned a 2008 gas F250 and a 2009 and a 2011 F350 diesel truck and pulled heavy trailers and fifth wheels with them. They are great tow vehicles. It is interesting that when I towed with them I managed to get heavier trailers/fifth wheels which pushed the GVWR limits on those vehicles when carrying passengers and cargo in those trucks. In my opinion, the Jay Flight 27RLS is close to requiring the F250 because of the heavy tongue weight. My tongue weight fully loaded at over 8,000 lbs. is between 950 lbs. and 1040 lbs. (actual tongue weight according to tongue scale) on the 27RLS, before the weight distribution hitch is hooked up. When I hook up the weight distribution hitch the tongue weight is redistributed lowering the tongue weight by about 100 lbs. according to the CAT scale. My Ecoboost Max Tow will handle the 27RLS fully loaded with passengers and gear without exceeding its limits, but I would be pushing the limits without the Max Tow. I do not exceed my GVWR or CGVWR on the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow even when fully loaded. The F250 would probably be better if I needed the extra capacity to haul more gear, but I am very pleased with the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul everything I need and still stay within the limits of the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul up and down paved mountain roads in Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Montana, and on smaller roads, and on Interstate Highways. My 2014 F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow has plenty of power (surprisingly plenty of power to haul the heavy trailer), great handling ability and ample stopping ability to tow the 27RLS. I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and Michelin LTX M/S2 tires and the feel of the towing experience is good at highway speeds between 55 mph and 65 mph. My 27RLS tires are rated for 75 mph, but I do not tow over 65 mph. (normally tow around 62-63 mph). I am pleased with my tow vehicle, travel trailer, and towing experience with this set up. Perhaps this might be of some relevance in helping you with your decision. Good luck in whatever you choose.
2014 F150 Ecoboost, SCREW, Max Tow, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Firestone Ride-rite air bags/Air Lift Wireless Controller, 2015 Jayco 27RLS with Elite Package & Fiberglass sidewalls
mmwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
In addition to the lighter weight, walk-around bed, and outdoor kitchen, I liked the vacuum-bonded walls on the White Hawk. Having studied building science, I know the total R-value of the vacuum-bonded wall is much greater than the typical wood stud & batt insulation wall. But that was just a bonus when we were making our decision.

If the batt insulation gets wet, it can sag; even if it doesn't, its usefulness is greatly reduced. Whether or not your trailer will be vulnerable to termites is another consideration with the wood-and-batt construction. (We are choosing White Hawk over Jay Flight even though the Jay Flight is a bit less expensive and has floor plans that work for us.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
White Hawk Construction

Here's a detailed presentation of the 2013 White Hawk construction. I have to believe the basic construction is the same for the 2015 models.

To be honest we didn't do much research before we purchased our White Hawk but I've been very impressed with the construction process post-purchase.

I will say though that I wish we had larger water tanks.

"We're all here because...we're not all here"

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
My mom is picking up her 27 DSRL Whitehawk at the end of the month. She tows with a Toyota Tundra. the 27 DSRL doesn't weigh much more than the 24 FBS. A trip to the scale will help you out.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote