Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #61

[ATTACH]We’ve had our SLX212 about three months. The rear living setup with the three large windows was the clincher. Just returned from our “maiden voyage” to the redwoods and the view from our dinette each morning confirmed our choice! Only small flaw is lack of counter prep space in the kitchen. I’m toying with putting in a hinged “drop-down” shelf to the left of the sink. Has anyone come up with a solution? As for TV, we picked up a 110v 28” LG LED TV for $116 on sale at Best Buy. Fits on the shelf perfectly. When we travel, I stand it up on the floor next to the bed and wedge something soft like a blanket next to it. Also reinforced front end of bed with a 2X2, framework hinged to bed supports. When lifting bed on struts, the support swings freely and back into place.
Attached Thumbnails
DAF8E0F5-2A43-4199-9B61-66A4E98F92A1.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
My Dealer was telling me the 212QBW has become one of their best sellers, as the floor plan has become very popular ( Couples floor plan they call it ). How many 212QBW owners ( besides us ) are members here?
We bought ours last March. My first camper, we absolutely love it. We used it all the way thru thanksgiving last year. We camped around three weekends a month. We are divers and all our dive buddies bought campers too. We have a blast! Absolutely no problems with our Jayco. I installed a bed lift and also a Hott Rod in hot water tank so we can use electric to heat water. Oh yeah I installed a power lift on tongue.
Diversooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #63

Love that idea! Great job
Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #64

Love the mods
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Our '17 never came with struts on the bed, i actually reconstructed the bed. Removed the thin plywood Jayco uses and used a thicker plywood. I built the wall seperating the outside storage to inside, than, because i used 2 pieces of plywood for the bed, i hinged it at the new supporting wall, so when you lift the bed, only the inside is accessible, which is what we wanted. Makes a huge difference as to the comfort of the bed. Regarding counter space, we never cook inside , but, i did add a glass hinged top to the stove, adding a bit more room. We also used the TV shelf for the TV, not hanging on the wall. A small Sony BluRay player fit along side the TV. I did add the power jack also .... now, only too trade in. Why? Well, i'll tell you ..... we just loved the layout, those windows in the back are awesome, trailer is perfect size .... problem was ( and the only problem), the DW enjoys her space from time to time, and last fall, when i was stuck sleeping on the sofa ..... AHHHHHHHH! Who designed this, a midget? So, here was my dilemna .... many nights of curled up in a ball on the sofa, replace the wife, replace the trailer ..... #2 option was not the cheapest, # 1 was, but my back would be toast, so #3 to a Jayflight with bunks so on those nights, she had somewhere else to sleep .... ya, right, i mean i would have somewhere else to sleep! (lol)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Our '17 never came with struts on the bed, i actually reconstructed the bed. Removed the thin plywood Jayco uses and used a thicker plywood. I built the wall seperating the outside storage to inside, than, because i used 2 pieces of plywood for the bed, i hinged it at the new supporting wall, so when you lift the bed, only the inside is accessible, which is what we wanted. Makes a huge difference as to the comfort of the bed. Regarding counter space, we never cook inside , but, i did add a glass hinged top to the stove, adding a bit more room. We also used the TV shelf for the TV, not hanging on the wall. A small Sony BluRay player fit along side the TV. I did add the power jack also .... now, only too trade in. Why? Well, i'll tell you ..... we just loved the layout, those windows in the back are awesome, trailer is perfect size .... problem was ( and the only problem), the DW enjoys her space from time to time, and last fall, when i was stuck sleeping on the sofa ..... AHHHHHHHH! Who designed this, a midget? So, here was my dilemna .... many nights of curled up in a ball on the sofa, replace the wife, replace the trailer ..... #2 option was not the cheapest, # 1 was, but my back would be toast, so #3 to a Jayflight with bunks so on those nights, she had somewhere else to sleep .... ya, right, i mean i would have somewhere else to sleep! (lol)
Jaycojay: I love your idea of thicker ply and hinged in middle. If I get really motivated, I’ll try that. I do want to wall off storage area though. Hear ya on sleeping quarters. Not a lot of room to “escape.” I’m 6-6 so sofa is a non-starter. One bed mod I did was to put a 6” strip of heavy foam across the front between wall and mattress. It is same depth and width as mattress. Extends queen to fit me as well as foam topper, sheets etc. so, what Jayco are you moving up to?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #67

anybody verify if the porch light and step light are LED? I pulled the cover on the porch and it seems incandescent on mine so now i wonder about the step light.

also anybody install a simple inverter? Wondering where you installed it? I'm not looking to doing a complicated setup. Just an inverter and probably run an extension cord inside somewhere.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #68

Both are the porch and step lights are LED.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrim007 View Post
Has anyone modified the jackknife sofa? It’s very uncomfortable for sitting in for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. We like to setup the TV on the dinette and watch a movie/Netflix. It doesn’t feel like there’s a lot of support, so I was thinking of adding plywood under the cushion. Ideally I’d like to just take it out and replace it with something more comfortable, but the furnace is in the way.
Looking at trying to modify the angle of the back to to bottom cushion of the sofa to see if that helps. You are doing pretty much what we do with TV.
Going to put a shelf behind sofa under window for coffee cups whatever will post pics when done.
kayco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #70

We made these slide out drawers in the cabinet next to the refrigerator. The cabinet is deep so there is plenty of room in the drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
drawers.jpg  

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #71

Parts list please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilz View Post
We made these slide out drawers in the cabinet next to the refrigerator. The cabinet is deep so there is plenty of room in the drawers.
This is exactly what I was dreaming up. Where did you get the parts ?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #72

Glides are from Home Depot. The wood is some scrap oak and red oak we had from a previous project ans the drawer bottom is Poplar ply from Home depot.We had to make some supports to anchor the guides against the rear wall. I'll try to get some more pics up tonight.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #73

Love our 212QBW

We bought ours a year ago, retired in September 2017 and have put about 9,000 miles on it. We love it. We've added shelving and storage and it's very comfortable when we're going three or more months at a time.

The Hawaiian Princess and The Wonder Puppy
The adventures of an island girl, her dog and their humble servant.
DougDayFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #74

love ours, first trip of the season coming up in a couple weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #75

Enjoy the summer. We're going to the Keys April 6th, can't wait.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #76

Jeff ans Susan, may I ask were you got the map icon on your signature?

Doug
Old 03-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #77

What a week for us!!!!!

Good News:
My son is now a US Marine as he completed boot camp last week. Super proud!

Bad News:
My truck was stolen at the airport. I currently have no tow vehicle.

Art
Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #78

Congrats to you and your son, and thank you to your son for serving.

As for the truck, that is just hateful. I'm not sure that people like that shouldn't be flogged if caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsville View Post
What a week for us!!!!!

Good News:
My son is now a US Marine as he completed boot camp last week. Super proud!

Bad News:
My truck was stolen at the airport. I currently have no tow vehicle.

Art

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #79

For you other SLX212ers looking for more kitchen counter space like me, here’s my Camco folding shelf solution. Fairly easy to install. Screwed it into a “T” made of 1x4s glued to the back side of the very thin cabinet. Should be pretty solid as long as the DW doesn’t try to put a 30-pound turkey on it! Next mod will be a backsplash. I hear a lot of good things about the Smart Tiles although I’m not real excited about the soft vinyl feel. Are there any hard plastic faux tiles out there?
Attached Thumbnails
173528F3-0616-4477-B79B-75DA5957749A.jpg   75E96430-9B53-45D7-B799-8BBFCA73AF19.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #80

actual stopper for bathroom sink

Installed this last weekend. Finally have a stopper that really works in the bathroom sink. Moderate work to install.

I used heat to soften the black tailpipe off the bottom of the sink and then used a screwdriver to pry it off. Then you have to ream out the bottom of the sink drain until you can force fit the new tailpipe screw threads through. Plumber putty around the base of the drain, tighten the nut and reattach the P trap and you are in business. Took me about 45 minutes (after figuring out I needed to soften the black pipe) start to finish. If anything gets dropped into the sink, we now have a good chance we won't have to pull the plumbing apart to recover it.

Sorry I don't have photos of the work in progress but will upload before and after photos in the next few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-B...y+Installation
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote