Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Why did my battery run down?

Just got a new 2017 Jayflight 26BH. It's out first even travel trailer, so we are completely new to this world. We just drove it off the dealer lot, and parked it in front of our house. Everything was turned off, but when I went out in the morning the battery was completely dead. No lights would turn on, no radio, nothing.

Any idea of what the issue might be? It did feel like the freezer was a little cool, like it had been running at some point. However the switch was turned off, we have never turned it to auto or gas, it's just on off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried to take it to where we are going to store it because I need the auto hitch feature powered to get it hitched to my truck.

Thanks, Jeff
Jaums04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

Are you sure it was charged up at the dealers?

After you charge it up on shore power check the voltage of the battery. If not up to full you could have a bad battery. If dealer left it connected and flat a long time it has no life left.
Also check all the cells and make sure they are full (distilled only). If any of them are dry, it could be bad out of the box if it was new.

Did the battery work on the PDI? or was it on shore power? Maybe the battery never got charged and was sitting around a long time.

Look around on this site, lots of battery knowledge here.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
bap

If you don't shut off the battery, the carbon monoxide detector will drain the battery. Also, clocks in the microwave and radio will draw power. If you don't have a battery disconnect switch, they are easy to install.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #4

Hi, did the dealer check to make sure your tow vehicle is supplying power to charge your battery? Plug your trailer into the 7 pin on your tow vehicle and see if it powers up the 12 volt components of your trailer. Check the connections at your battery and also check the in line fuse from the positive side of the battery.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
If you don't shut off the battery, the carbon monoxide detector will drain the battery. Also, clocks in the microwave and radio will draw power. If you don't have a battery disconnect switch, they are easy to install.
Just to clarify....
The only items that are a constant drain on the battery are the LP/CO detector and the radio. Possibly the antenna amplifier if you did not turn it off.

The clock on the microwave DOES NOT work on the battery.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #6

I agree with others, there is always a draw on the battery. It is best to disconnect it if you are not camping in there and it isn't plugged in. I installed a battery cutoff switch a couple weeks ago in our new camper.

It isn't clear in your post if you just brought it home on Saturday and it was dead the next day on Sunday or if it was sitting outside your house for a month not plugged in.

If it was just overnight that would be a sign of an issue of some sort. It should be fine sitting for at least a week or two with nothing on.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

I brought it home Saturday, and the next day (Sunday) is when it had no battery power.
Jaums04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaums04 View Post
I brought it home Saturday, and the next day (Sunday) is when it had no battery power.
How long after the battery was installed did your TT sit on the dealer's lot?

Was the battery fully charged? Probably not if it had been sitting on a shelf.

As mentioned, the CO detector can not be switched off. The USB charger is another parasidic drain. The radio draws almost a full amp 'doing nothing". The potential of the TV amplifier. Which lights that you don't know about yet were left on? Water pump? The Fridge uses close to 3 amps when burning propane.

Edit: running the tongue jack to unhitch and then semi-level the TT is 10%+ of a full charge. (thanks bedrck46)

It all adds up rather quickly.

Personally, I swiched over to a deep-cycle battery for boondocking. And run the generator 45 minutes every day to make sure it stays topped up.

There was only 2.5 days in the fully charged battery that came with the TT. That was when I was being careful to monitor our usage.

You may want to consider a solor panel to overcome the parasite loads. Leave it plugged in when not in use. Or install a cutoff switch that FULLY powers down your TT.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

When you brought it home and parked it Did you un-hitch from the TV.
Did the jack function at that point?

Is it possible that when you un-hitched and raised it up that you blew the 30 amp inline fuse at the battery Check it and also check your battery voltage.

Then I would contact the dealer and see what they have to say Insist they replace the battery if everything else checks out as suggested above
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

If the fridge was on

Looking at the manual for fridge and it has a climate switch to keep condensation down. If it is left on it will drain batteries. I have a dometic fridge
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

When we had a TT, I would find the battery disconnect switch accidentally bumped to the "OFF" position if something slid around inside while traveling. Also, our batteries did not charge from the umbilical while being towed until I put a relay/fuse in the terminal box under the TV hood, and only if the battery disconnect was in the "ON" position. Your batteries may have been very low to begin with, as well, and you may have left on a light in a storage cabinet or bathroom without noticing it. That could kill a weakly charged battery overnight very easily.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #12

Be sure to look for simple stuff too...

Make sure that EVERY fan, light, pump, radio, TV, refridge, you name it is off. That includes lights the may be inside the pass-through, under steps, in the awning.

Go get yourself a clamp-on DC amp meter, so you do not have to open the circuit, if you do not already have one.

Then plug in the trailer and use the meter to determine if the battery is charging from the converter.
Once the batteries are charged, you can unplug the trailer and figure out if there is too much current draw. Typical current draw on a trailer with everything turned off is about 0.5 amps or so.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #13

My experience leads me to blame the dealer. I've taken ours to a dealer three times. Twice the battery was dead when I came to pick it up and the other time it was low . I have a shutoff, but they never used it. As previously noted, if DC lights work when hooked up to your tow vehicle, you may just need to charge the battery.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote