Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Quick question.. do you aim your ENH202 toward the AP or just put it up?

Don
I try to aim it towards the AP if I know the general direction.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #22

We stayed at several RV parks this past summer, and all advertised free wifi to all camp sites. Only one campground actually had strong enough wifi for every site, and that was the most expensive CG we visited. The first one we were at was the worst -- the few times we got a signal at our site, it took forever to get online, and then we waited many minutes to get a web page. We finally had to leave, because my son needs wifi for his business (yes, he was working even while on vacation with us). I complained to the CG operator, who whined that people are using wifi to watch movies and play online games. I'm thinking -- 'They're offering internet service and -- horrors! -- customers are using it!!' I asked for a refund (we had paid in full for several nights) and the clerk pointed to a NO REFUNDS sign. The problem, I said, is that the CG was promoting in their sales material that they had wifi at every site, so in fact they were guilty of false advertising. I got my refund. The problem is CGs don't want to spend what it takes to get a powerful enough wifi system that truly services campers at all sites. If wifi is that important, expect to pay for it.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #23

On our 2014 three week trip, we had crappy wifi from most of the CG that SWMBO and I stayed. We have "Pay-as-you-go" cell phones and one of the no-nos is using the phone as a hotspot. We bought a "Mobile Hotspot" that travels with us. It cost $50 for 60 days of 5GB service. The device was under $99.

Our phones are Galaxy 4 & 5 using AT&T towers and for the most part, we use the phones 5GB of data for web surfing and what not. However, when we are in an area with no AT&T data, the phones will lock onto the hotspot that uses Verizon towers. The hotspot also works with the travel laptop computer when we need it.

If a CG has decent wifi, we use it, of course.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
Sawdust&woodchip
The link below should depict the WIFI assist that we have had good luck with. Easy plug and play with laptop. I am not familiar with anything for cellphone or ipad.

Alfa 1000mW USB Wireless G Adapter AWUS036H Long Range | eBay
I have that same unit. Years ago, it did a pretty good job back before multiple laptops and smartphones, as it plugged directly into the laptop. I put mine in a outdoor box and ran it inside from a pvc pole mounted temporarily on the roof.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
On our 2014 three week trip, we had crappy wifi from most of the CG that SWMBO and I stayed. We have "Pay-as-you-go" cell phones and one of the no-nos is using the phone as a hotspot. We bought a "Mobile Hotspot" that travels with us. It cost $50 for 60 days of 5GB service. The device was under $99.

Our phones are Galaxy 4 & 5 using AT&T towers and for the most part, we use the phones 5GB of data for web surfing and what not. However, when we are in an area with no AT&T data, the phones will lock onto the hotspot that uses Verizon towers. The hotspot also works with the travel laptop computer when we need it.

If a CG has decent wifi, we use it, of course.

Murff
Murff:
Does "... when we are in an area with no AT&T data, the phones will lock onto the hotspot that uses Verizon towers." I'm confused what you mean by'.. no AT&T data.' Do you mean an area without any AT&T connection or specifically just no '.. data ..' ?

Could you provide information on the brand of "Mobile Hotspot" or where to buy it? We'd like to have a device like that. I didn't find one before we left and don't know what to search for to locate one.

We have Consumer Cellular and they use the AT&T network. When camping this year, we sometimes saw folks on cell phones when we had no AT&T connection. We assumed they were on Verizon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #26

And then there have been a couple of campgrounds I've stayed at where a nearby hotspot was off line, meaning my signal was coming from another one much further away. Amazing that they don't secure them better - it was a no brainer to unplug the power cord running down the pole, wait a minute, and plug it back in. Took a few minutes to reboot, but then I had great WiFi again! Of course, I made sure no one could see I was messing with their equipment. This was even at a major state park, besides a couple of private campgrounds. Unfortunately, most campground staff have little knowledge of their systems, they depend on a service company, which may or may not charge them to make a call - and always takes a long time to show up!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust&Woodchip View Post
Great info amigos! I too sometimes use "Hot Spot" on my cell phone for WiFi, but I just wonder if it's pulling too much data (more $$$) if I decide to watch a Netflix movie or 2 per nite.
Here is a useful website with free updates. Things are changing rapidly in the wireless business!
2015 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review – RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #28

This is what I plan on doing to my 5er in the spring.

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
It appears that this device sets up and works just like what I documented in the link to the older thread. A ENH202 is $79 at this source
EnGenius ENH202 N300 Wireless Outdoor 800mW Long-range Multiple Client bridge/Access Point - Newegg.com
Like the unit you're looking to get, they are not very user intuitive but I don't need to use a laptop for set up each time, I can access it through a standard wifi router with my Kindle tablet. You might want you see if thats also the case.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #30

This is why I carry my own Wi-Fi.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
It appears that this device sets up and works just like what I documented in the link to the older thread. A ENH202 is $79 at this source
EnGenius ENH202 N300 Wireless Outdoor 800mW Long-range Multiple Client bridge/Access Point - Newegg.com
Like the unit you're looking to get, they are not very user intuitive but I don't need to use a laptop for set up each time, I can access it through a standard wifi router with my Kindle tablet. You might want you see if thats also the case.
Cosmic,
It's good to see this topic brought up again. It reminds me that I'm unable to configure my ENH wirelessly via my router until I have connected to it via a hard connection with the notebook, located a signal and connected to it. I note in your comments that you can do all of the bridge config wirelessly via your router and tablet.
Once the ENH is connected to a signal I can access the ENH via my tablet via the router.
Any ideas what settings I should look at?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #32

I wrote up each step that I use over at the Engenious forum.
Using ENH202 with a wireless router - www.engeniusforum.com
I go by mudshark over there, another Zappa reference. Seemed to help this person.
If you'd like I could send you my recovery file and you could load it and then change the security to what you want.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #33

Thanks, Cosmic! Wasn't aware of that forum but will check it out. If I can't figure it out I may ask for your recovery file. It may be a bit before I can get at it, the 5th is in the shop - I'll post that event when I get it back.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #34

My Eagle ended the season with having the entire rear wall replaced due to delamination. My antenna mount is sitting next to it in the snow and the ethernet cable needs a new end put on it before being functional again. I have the enh unit here and a copy of my config file. I have intended on making a generic one for sharing, but no qualms with sharing anyway.
Dave

Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #35

We recently purchased our first trailer and my wife bought me a book on connectivity. Two points they made about campground wi-fi:

1. Everyone goes out during the day to do there hiking, fishing etc. and when everyone returns at dinnertime they get on their computers to check e-mail, post pictures, etc. Since everyone is on at the same time the bandwidth is quickly used up.

2. Not all campground wi-fi systems are created equal. Some are set up by people with little technical knowledge or they are a minimal system that you have to be right next to in order to receive a signal.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeengrjim View Post
We recently purchased our first trailer and my wife bought me a book on connectivity. Two points they made about campground wi-fi:

1. Everyone goes out during the day to do there hiking, fishing etc. and when everyone returns at dinnertime they get on their computers to check e-mail, post pictures, etc. Since everyone is on at the same time the bandwidth is quickly used up.

2. Not all campground wi-fi systems are created equal. Some are set up by people with little technical knowledge or they are a minimal system that you have to be right next to in order to receive a signal.
Welcome to the forum.

My experience this year fits those two points. But I'm not in complete agreement that "Everyone goes out during the day..." Even 'during the day' there was usually too little bandwidth.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #37
Site Team

Some of the campgrounds WiFi issues we have stayed at are two fold. First they have AP's that are old technology (maybe 100mW or less) with old antenna technology and then couple that with a bandwidth of 10Mb for 20+ sites. You can do the math and figure out how poor that service is. Some CG's even had all their AP,s set to 1 channel (a lot of data collisions). Then you couple the distance the users are from the AP and multiply that times how many times the signal goes through error checking before that data is correct over and over again, which lowers the performance. Add on all the smart devices that are constantly polling WiFi and the performance drops even lower.

Where we stay, the bandwidth only suffers over the major holiday weekends and with 7 AP's to choose from, I select the least used one (area where least # of sites are rented). Still not the best performance, but doable for email and slow web surfing. During the week all is fine.

It will take a while for the CG's to catch up to current technology, and yes we will be paying higher campsite charges or possibly even charging for using more than a base bandwidth.. please insert your charge card # here to continue using the internet connection. Or we see you are streaming a movie, please note you will be charged $$$$ for the required bandwidth, enter charge card #..

There are also ways that CG's can prioritize as to who gets first choice.. Email first, web surfing next, then music, then movies so when there is a system load, the movies and music will slide down to the bottom of the who gets the most bandwidth list, of course causing the infamous digital breakup watching a movie.

It is just a matter of time....

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #38

Quote:
movies and music will slide down to the bottom of the who gets the most bandwidth list, of course causing the infamous digital breakup watching a movie.
Don
Here is one possible solution to watching movies while RVing.
Amazon Prime Instant Video Now Offers Offline Content – RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #39
Site Team

Good idea!

When I was converting all my DVD movies to .MKV format (to run on Laptop and displayed on TT's HDMI Tv) the file sizes for each movie averaged between 4.5 and 6Gb. At least my iPhone has 60Gb (I think) so I should be able to get a few movies loaded. The basic phone may have memory issues.

Thanks for the info,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #40

Quote:
snip...
There are also ways that CG's can prioritize as to who gets first choice.. Email first, web surfing next, then music, then movies so when there is a system load, the movies and music will slide down to the bottom of the who gets the most bandwidth list, of course causing the infamous digital breakup watching a movie. ...snip
Our WiFi frustration was just trying to check email (verification that bills set up to pay automatically had actually been paid), and to surf (PassPort America, Harvest Host, Google maps) to plan the next day or two on the road.

We don't use the internet to watch movies, listen to music, or send email. I can only speculate that with what we experienced, that trying to watch movies or listen to music would have been an epic fail.

The one exception for us was an RV Resort in CO where we had 2 nights free in exchange for attending a sales presentation. Their internet access was outstanding. I have little doubt that we could have watched internet movies there.... IFF we had a television in the TT.