Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Wifi xtender

Going down to big pine key in fl next week and am going to need some help with wifi reception. Want something simple, like just plug in and pair.
cool-daddio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

You talking about for a tablet, laptop or phone?
The closest thing to plug and play would be a usb antenna for a laptop.
I don't know of any such thing for a tablet or phone.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-daddio1 View Post
Going down to big pine key in fl next week and am going to need some help with wifi reception. Want something simple, like just plug in and pair.
There are techies on the forum who may be able to help, but that's not me. My ?? is what are you wanting to do? I used a cheap plug in antennae type unit on a previous notebook that helped reach out a bit farther than the internal wifi but when it worked, it took forever to load a webpage or if a pic image is involved, forget it.

CG wifi systems are notoriously slow with limited bandwith. During heavy use times good luck getting connected even if you are sitting next to the wifi transmitter. It only takes one guest trying to stream a video or send a bunch of pictures home and the system freezes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

Some Extenders are cheap. If you will be plugged in, you could get something as simple as this...

NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender

With that option, you would need to perform the initial setup of the extender while plugged into it directly with a LAN cable. That's where you would input the password for the WiFi Network and get it connected. That's a one time setup until you move to a different campground.

The problem with those is they are usually mounted so low to the ground they don't get much better reception than your phone / tablet or laptop can natively.

If the goal is to make weak signals from the nearest hotspot stronger, you'll want to look at options that add an antenna to the roof of your RV. The antenna is small, but the cost on these systems usually isn't.

Here are all of the extenders available from Camping World. They are all a LOT more expensive than the Amazon one, but they all work a lot better too.

The key is finding one that mounts your antenna up high. The one on Amazon is really designed for homes where you already have a pretty strong signal somewhere in the house, and you are just trying to extend it out a bit.

Maybe that points you in the right direction.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...range+extender

You are looking for one that has an external Antenna that connects to a router inside your camper. This arrangement allows you to pull in distant signals a lot better, and then with your own router - create your own hotspot around your camper with a much stronger connection. Even though you will be connecting better, you will still be bandwidth limited. Most camp grounds have really slow connections even if you are sitting on top of their hot spot.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to home brew your own. This is a niche product so the markup is massive. If it was me, I would buy a residential WiFi Router and build my own antenna for it for less than 150 bucks total. It's not extremely difficult, but you'll have to open up the router and re solder the antenna connections so it uses your roof mounted antenna instead of the antennas installed on the back of the unit. I would imagine you can also purchase the right kind of cable and 'socket' so you could simply screw the new external antenna directly into the back of the router without having to solder anything. It get's complicated there though because most routers have multiple antennas now and you would need to deal with all of them.

To add -
Another option you may want to explore is if you have decent cell service where you are at AT&T has a 20 dollar a month, unlimited hot spot offering that you plug into your truck. You would need to buy one of these (free with contract) https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobl...sku=sku7700323

and then sign up for their " Connected Car Unlimited Data plan for $20 per month" If you have access to a decent cell signal, that's the way to go in my opinion. We've decided that's a better option for us, pros and cons with all of it. My concern with this approach is keeping the hot spot device powered up when we're not driving and the truck is off, but there's apparently a remedy for this too.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

We get WiFi from our iPhone using the personal hotspot and I use a weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Signal Booster to help ir there is weak cell reception. We have been totally satisfied with this setup. I installed an external trucker antenna on our Jay Feather but you can also use the portable antenna that comes with the unit; that also enables us to use the cell extender in the car while traveling.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

I'm sure Amazon and their affiliates make a lot of money selling those.

Too pricey for me. It's just an antenna and a router that only works on 4G networks. Not bashing it, there are just options out there that are lot cheaper, especially when you factor in what most people are paying for their not unlimited data plans + the hardware involved, ^^^^ this is the most expensive option of them all and it would be really upsetting to invest in all of that equipment to discover you still aren't within range of a 4G cell site.

Sounds like the OP is primairly interested in just extending an existing WiFi. Easy peasy.

Here's a 6 dollar external antenna with decent gain.

Insten 335802 Wi-Fi 2.4GHz 7 DBI Booster

All you would need to do to meet the OP's requirements would be to buy a cheap Wi-Fi router, configured as an access point. Most of us probably have an old router laying around that could be used.. (free).
Old 05-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

I have a setup like this and it works very well. Here is a link that lists out the equipment and detailed instructions for set up. There is a Youtube video that is very east to follow.

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 - Outside Our Bubble

Keep in mind that this setup locks onto the wifi network that is offered by the park or campgrounds. It will not and cannot increase speed or load times. It provides a firm connection into the park WIFI and sets up a SECURE wifi within your camper. Good luck.
2008 F150 King Ranch
fjkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post

To add -
Another option you may want to explore is if you have decent cell service where you are at AT&T has a 20 dollar a month, unlimited hot spot offering that you plug into your truck. You would need to buy one of these (free with contract) https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobl...sku=sku7700323

and then sign up for their " Connected Car Unlimited Data plan for $20 per month" If you have access to a decent cell signal, that's the way to go in my opinion. We've decided that's a better option for us, pros and cons with all of it. My concern with this approach is keeping the hot spot device powered up when we're not driving and the truck is off, but there's apparently a remedy for this too.
I've been using the Mobley for a couple months now and I'm a big fan. Works really well and I don't have to worry about busting my data cap through my Verizon cell phone. Regularly stream to my Roku with no problem.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
I've been using the Mobley for a couple months now and I'm a big fan. Works really well and I don't have to worry about busting my data cap through my Verizon cell phone. Regularly stream to my Roku with no problem.
Does the Mobley stay powered up without keys in the truck? I had read somewhere that the OBD2 port loses power when you switch off the ignition. Trying to figure out if, or how it can be powered externally. I don't imagine it draws a lot of power, but there needs to be a way to keep it on for hours at a time without having to power up the truck.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Last year when we spent a week at Curry Hammock state park (Marathon Key area) I was unable to use my EnGenius Wi-Fi extender because there were no public AP's within the 1.5 miles the unit is good for. So I just waited and went to McDonald's in the afternoon had a M&M McFlurry and a Coke while checking my stocks, email and JOF. I could have used my Verizon MiFi, but did not want to pay all that money to activate it for only a week. Could have used my iPhone as an AP, but the sound of a McFlurry was a better idea.

When you have long distances to a Wi-Fi AP (greater than 50-100 yards) units without an exterior antenna that is mounted above the TT roof will be a waste of money.

We have a WiFi SIGNAL EXTENDERS social group that may give you some information.

McDonalds worked out fine for us.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Last year when we spent a week at Curry Hammock state park (Marathon Key area) I was unable to use my EnGenius Wi-Fi extender because there were no public AP's within the 1.5 miles the unit is good for. So I just waited and went to McDonald's in the afternoon had a M&M McFlurry and a Coke while checking my stocks, email and JOF. I could have used my Verizon MiFi, but did not want to pay all that money to activate it for only a week. Could have used my iPhone as an AP, but the sound of a McFlurry was a better idea.

When you have long distances to a Wi-Fi AP (greater than 50-100 yards) units without an exterior antenna that is mounted above the TT roof will be a waste of money.

We have a WiFi SIGNAL EXTENDERS social group that may give you some information.

McDonalds worked out fine for us.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
This is what makes the Mobley so attractive to us. It turns your truck into a hotspot for 20 bucks a month, unlimited data. If it was more clear how to keep it powered up when the truck is 'off' it would pretty much be a no brainer. My primary carrier is Verizon and we don't get a lot of data through them. If we were to switch to sprint and get the Mobley for the truck (through AT&T) we'd still be 80 bucks a month ahead and never run out of data on the road.

I 'work from home' about 98% of the time, so having a solid internet connection is the difference between taking vacation time and dropping off the radar, or not going at all My employer doesn't need to know that I have a fishing pole in one hand, and a beer in the other during my Monday morning conference call.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

WIFI Extender

Quote:
Not sure if this is what your looking for! We needed more reliable phone reception in the mountains of Northern Az.We bought a devise from Wilson called Signalboost in 2007.I think it quadrupled the boost for our phones.Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Cottonwood 2017.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
If it was more clear how to keep it powered up when the truck is 'off' it would pretty much be a no brainer.
I've seem an adapter for the Mobly that you can plug it into that plugs in a 12v power source. I think it's intended for older model cars that don't have the data port ( I forget what's called) that the Mobly is designed to plug into.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #14

You can get adapter cables on eBay or Amazon that will convert it from the OBD2 connector to 110 VAC or USB. There is a software option on the Mobley device to change it to never power down. I have mine plugged into a wall outlet when I'm not traveling and works like a champ.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
You can get adapter cables on eBay or Amazon that will convert it from the OBD2 connector to 110 VAC or USB. There is a software option on the Mobley device to change it to never power down. I have mine plugged into a wall outlet when I'm not traveling and works like a champ.
That's what I will do then for our 'issue'. Thank you.

Shoot, I might run my whole house off of it. AT&T is going to adjust things when they see people like me using 6TB a month for 20 bucks, but enjoy it while it lasts Hope I didn't derail this thread too much, but it's of major interest over here too.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #16

The Mobley is out of stock at the AT&T website and none of the stores around me have any in stock. :-(

Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
This is what makes the Mobley so attractive to us......
The other issue is that even with the Verizon MiFi (at a lot of the sites we went to in the mountains and remote areas), the phone only has 1 or maybe on a good day 2 bars max and the data rate on the MiFi was less than a 56Kb modem, closer to 24Kb, if anyone remembers that technology. Not much you can do with those numbers.

Where we are at right now, only 1 bar on the cell phone.... in a valley surrounded by mountains, but GREAT internet connection and MagicJack works great (VOIP). We call fwd the cell #'s to the MagicJack phone number... never miss a call or have a dropped call.

With any of the technologies it is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Still looking at Hughes Net (Satellite Data) in the future.... still researching

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 05-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
That's what I will do then for our 'issue'. Thank you.

Shoot, I might run my whole house off of it. AT&T is going to adjust things when they see people like me using 6TB a month for 20 bucks, but enjoy it while it lasts Hope I didn't derail this thread too much, but it's of major interest over here too.
Last I heard, they still cut your speed in half when you hit the magic data ceiling.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 05-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
The Mobley is out of stock at the AT&T website and none of the stores around me have any in stock. :-(
Keep checking. Another board I frequent has had several reports of out of stock, then the next day they were available again.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Last I heard, they still cut your speed in half when you hit the magic data ceiling.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
The fine print says they reserve the right to throttle you at 22GB depending on traffic at the tower you are connected to. Haven't seen it first hand yet.