Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Hmm. I live on a gravel road so that will be a mess....
In reality, how many times are you working under it where you will be in contact with the Mouse-Free? The only time I am under them is to service the axles. You are going to get greasy then anyways. With only putting around 4,000 miles on a camper a year, I am only doing the axle service every other year.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
. I'm tired of mice!!
Is it safe to say you hate mice's to pieces?
Amazon sells a product called "cab fresh" check that out.. just remember it don't last forever and needs to be replaced from time to time
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #23

Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I store my TT at a boat storage and repair facility which has a small lake for the guys to test motors. Since I began storing at this lot a few years ago, I have had nothing but trouble with mice. I always remove food from the TT before winter but this past fall they seem to have chewed into my heater and A/C 12V thermostat feed wire and the 12V feed to my water pump but I haven't found where they did that.

I plan to drop the underbelly this spring and do some wire troubleshooting and find where they are getting in. When I checked the camper this morning (it's been a few weeks since I checked last), there were 5 dead mice; 3 in traps and two drowned in the toilet. I'm tired of mice!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I put moth balls in the basement area bag in each area and have had not problem, sealed any possible holes where they could get in with foam insulation as well........ we did have a problem one year,,, but after doing the moth balls and foam, no problem at all..
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #24

Grayhawk, I think you have gotten luck with the foam. I briefly worked for a pest control company and I have seen mice eat thru that foam...even the "pest resistant" foam. I plan on dropping some of the underbelly to fix my wiring issues and see if I can find out where they are coming in. This is the stuff we used to seal houses where mice get in...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...2009/100318502
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #25
Site Team

Facts about moth balls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I put moth balls in the basement area bag in each area and have had not problem, sealed any possible holes where they could get in with foam insulation as well........ we did have a problem one year,,, but after doing the moth balls and foam, no problem at all..
The University of Florida published this document regarding MOTHBALLS

Worth the read.... if you use them, especially in a small area like a TT

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/PI/PI25400.pdf

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #26

Angry Moth Balls No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The University of Florida published this document regarding MOTHBALLS

Worth the read.... if you use them, especially in a small area like a TT

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/PI/PI25400.pdf

Don
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks Don..... I sure will not be using moth balls anymore that is for sure !! just showed the PDF to the DW............ so they are out for sure..... we did not use them in the Cab only in the Basement area............ but like I said we will not be using them anymore....
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #27

Poison liberally placed throughout the camper. Had a little bit of mouse poop in the camper this year and a lot of poison eaten. No serious damage......to the camper. I'm sure the mice would disagree with my strategy.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #28

I used Mouse Free and opened my camper up (NO MICE!!) I sealed all edges with goodstuff, Did the bounce sheets, and used fresh cab. Parked in the middle of the woods. Trap OUTSIDE of camper had two dead mice. several Campers next to ours had mice inside (They used just bounce sheets). I will reuse this method again. Now we traded in our Jay Flight 26BH (No slide) for a Jay Flight 32TSBH triple slide. I see huge gaps under slide where Jayco notched out a hole. What the heck !! This just screams creepy mice to come in. Have to find a solution to cover gaps (Anyone have this issue)
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #29

Steel wool in all openings and Bobcat pee
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #30

I have a question about the Bobcat Pee, Rock. We live in a rural area where we enjoy the deer that hang out near us. Will this also deter them? Also, does it smell?

I read the reviews on Amazon about the Mouse-Free and they seemed pretty unenthusiastic. Those who had the highest reviews were using it with several other deterrents suggested here, so I don't think that is necessarily a fair review. We have a gravel driveway to our home so I know the undercarriage will get dusty, and I am curious as to how much of the effectiveness of this product is the smell and how much is the vaseline-type residue. If it's the residue, I would think the dust would allow the mice to gain traction that the product is trying to eliminate. Thoughts?

2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2016 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab/Short Box
Creativeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #31

Hey great question. We did not notice but just a slight odor that went away in a day. I hung the scent tags on every jack and around the tires. Sprayed them about every four weeks and we never seen another mouse. My deer cam still showed deer about 50 yards from my camp.

My buddies dogs could care less. I have tried everything that everybody has listed and still had mice inside and a pissed off DW. The bobcat pee and jar grandular worked for me 100%.
There was no oily anything. I just hung up the tags and sprayed them till the were soaked. U can e mail them and get info.

There are several different sites. If u go to predatorpee.com and read how they collect it u will laugh ur ass off. All I know is that it works.

At one of the local hardware stores where I was buying everything they sold to keep mice out the guy told me his dad would take the old 35mm plastic camera film rolls and put a piece of cotton in and soak bobcat or coyote pee and no more mice
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeone View Post
I read the reviews on Amazon about the Mouse-Free and they seemed pretty unenthusiastic. Those who had the highest reviews were using it with several other deterrents suggested here, so I don't think that is necessarily a fair review. We have a gravel driveway to our home so I know the undercarriage will get dusty, and I am curious as to how much of the effectiveness of this product is the smell and how much is the vaseline-type residue. If it's the residue, I would think the dust would allow the mice to gain traction that the product is trying to eliminate. Thoughts?
We use no other deterrents other than a few traps placed inside, just in case one gets in. I also spray on the Mouse-Free very heavy and cover EVERYTHING underneath. A buddy of mine bought 1 gallon and sprayed a 31' dual slide Starcraft and still had mice get in. I used 2 full gallons on my 28' with 1 slide. I told him to get another gallon and he won't have issues. He went cheap to save a couple bucks.

As for the effectiveness, It still stays wet and greasy after 2 seasons and then I touch it up again as it does start to "dry out" with the dust collecting. Mouse-Free recommends annually re-spraying.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #33

We had trouble with mice last year. Due to a health concern, we did not do a lot of camping, but when we did, the buggers got into the furnace. We took it out, cleaned it up and re-installed and works fine. Spray foamed all holes we found, cleaned mouse poop and set traps. I also put cups of peppermint soaked cotton balls throughout the trailer and 2 electronic mouse chasers. Opened trailer this month and have found no sign of mice, but I still have to put the steel wool in the corners of the slide for extra insurance..
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #34

We have concluded that you will have mice from time to time so we go straight for the TomCat mouse traps and place them around our TT this also helps with chipmunks. Works great for us.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote