Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
My first RV was a 30' fifth wheel I towed with a Ram 3500 Quad Cab with an 8' bed, which translated to the longest wheelbase Dodge offered. I have read how fifth wheels are the superior towing experience in windy conditions. Believed that until I towed through the mountains of West Texas in a God knows how hard crosswind. I was definitely up on the wheel. Once our direction travel changed to towing into the wind, it was just a fuel mileage killer.

I still have the same truck towing a WhiteHawk 27DSRL, not nearly as much surface area presented to a crosswind, but it can still get interesting in a brisk cross wind, even with a WDH hitch. If I'm sawing on the wheel a lot to maintain a straight line, I pull off and take a break or call it a day.

thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
If the weather forecast is calling for 30 mph wind or more, I stay put if at all possible. With a forecast of 25 mph winds, I would go, but head out early to be off the road around lunch time. Most of the time, the peak winds are in the afternoon, but not always. Staying current on the latest weather forecast is a good thing to do.

David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Thanks all, I think my limit is 20 mph sustained. Not really sure until I experience it and see how the rig handles.
Thanks again for your comments and advice.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
Drove all the way across South Dakota last summer with a crosswind of about 30-35 mph and it was MISERABLE. If I wouldn't of needed to be home for a Birthday party, we would have stopped. By the time we did get home my hands hurt so bad from chocking the steerring wheel.
2014 Jayco Whitehawk Summit Edition 28 DSBH
2013 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab Ecoboost 3.55
Whitehawkmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
I am of the mindset of a few on here if you leave early in the morning and get on the road winds aren't usually as bad as they are in the heat of the day but a 20 mile per hour crosswind would stop me from going anywhere traveling from Fort Wayne In. It seems there is always wind until I get past Indy and then it calms down most of the time... crossing gorges or high bridges are areas to slow down and be careful as they are wide open to crosswinds .... for me if it is blowing like that one video on you tube of that guy pulling the tt I would stop right there and block traffic lol
2011 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab Diesel , 2015 Jayco Eagle 338 rets
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
My rule of thumb is if you can feel the wind "playing" with the RV then pull over and park
A wonderful/smart rule, Mother Nature ain't playing, She was giving a warning!
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #17
FYI...We had our 26 ft Toy Hauler out this weekend. 20 mph crosswind with 30 mph gusts. I found the 30 mph gusts were over the limit. The "Stability Control" on our 2014 F150 came on twice and applied the brakes automatically.

Short answer...20mph=Ok, 30mph=No Way!

"Its easier to ask forgivness than permission"
SBL9A is offline   Reply With Quote