Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #21

While manual awnings may be a bit more resistant to wind I don't even remember how manual awnings I have seen wrapped up over the top of the RV in the past 5 years hosting at RV parks. What happens to the support arms isn't pretty either or damage to the RV side and roof.

Mine stays in all the time unless I'm actually under it or at least inside keeping an eye on it. I do like mine out in the afternoons where I'm hosting right now to keep the afternoon sun partially off of the side of my 5'er. Better a/c that way.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #22

I just us the tie down and retract whenever the winds pick up and stay sustained like before a storm. I wouldn't trust the awning to stay intact/attached without the tie down for most of the time we use it. It doesnt take much wind for it to start oscillating and it doesn't appear to be robust enough to hold up to constant movement.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:14 AM   #23
Site Team

I like the electric. It's a personal choice. At this stage, I go for convenience.

We use caution as already stated, we gone - its in. At night we extend it enough to keep the steps dry.

I have seen many manual ones ripped to shreds or thrown on the wrong side from where they are mounted. No awning is wind proof.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #24

Use couple ratch straps, leaving about 3" of slack - this only if fairly windy and need the shade (never had a problem). But if really high winds or threat of storm it comes in. Also if moving next morning I bring in night before so no dew moisture rolled up (like it rolled up dry).

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500 5.7L, Equalizer 1000, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Priors:
Jayco Eagle 10 ST RD
Keystone Sprinter M-380BWS
Rockwood Freedom 1640TD
Jayco SLX 154BH
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote