Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Originally Posted by brained View Post
We're full time in ours and have sustained 10F for a few days with lows of -3F.

Here's what we've discovered so far:
  • Heated and insulated incoming fresh water (Pex, heat tape, and foam tube)
  • Came with the thermal package, which really wasn't.
    • Some additional belly material, screws, and spray foam completed the 'enclosed' part.
    • Plumbed in the missing duct from furnace to underbelly, dropped it in between fresh water tanks. This handles down to about 15F just fine.
    • Found a string of work lights at Home Depot. Poked the caged part up above the belly pan and left the plug part below. 4 75W lights - 1 by black tank drain, 1 by grey tank drain, 1 each fore and aft of the fresh water tanks. This gets us down to below 0 with out any trouble.
  • Heat tape and lights plugged into pedestal instead of trailer.
  • Will make a little sealed plug cover for the work lights before we roll out again.
  • Black tanked closed, grey tank open. Grey tank tends to freeze open and a heat lamp for a couple minutes lets me close it while dumping black tank. They make a valve warmer I could stick on there.
Temps are between 35 and 25 now; heat tape on, lights off, and all is well with the heated underbelly.

I was going to skirt the trailer but unless it gets back down to 0 for an extended period I'm not going to worry about it for now.
Thanks, very good real world experience.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Originally Posted by brained View Post
]Came with the thermal package, which really wasn't.
I've gotten that impression. Is there any noticeable help from insulation in walls/ceiling so that the furnace cycles have several minutes between them, if that makes sense. Ours is off for only a very short time if outside temp is in lower 30s and below. We have thermal windows, enclose underbelly (not heated as far as I know) but no thermal package. I don't want to pay for something in our next trailer that doesn't work.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote