Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Greetings from the frozen north eh?

Anyway.. we (dealership) typically install heater wraps on the tanks and plumbing wraps from this site (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...FYt_Qgod9DsAdA)

We also suggest heater incoming hoses (if the campground still has water available) from this site (http://www.pirithose.com/product.php)

Has not let us down yet. HOWEVER.. you must keep water in the plumbing, or the heaters MAY damage the PVC.

John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Originally Posted by marshvegasmike View Post

Balls to the wall buddy. Admire that fact that you would want to winter camp in the first place. Go for it. Not my cup of tea, seems like alot of work. As for me, John and Nancy can sign me up for Key West!!! Don't hear much mention of space heater use. Was camping Vets' day weekend. Use the heater to take the chill out of the air in morn, used an oscillating space heater to maintain comfortable setting. Crawling into the bunk end of the hybrid, (we kept one end closed) it was cool but cured with electric blanket, fleece blanket and sleeping bag opened up as blanket. Nice and comfy. About as cold as I would want to go though. Good luck. J, I see you have as your profile pic your old/my new camper
I don't know if you were referring to the OP or me but we work a lot and have two infants and an 8 YO. We try to get away for a weekend whenever we can even in the winter. I also had a Trac Loc rear differential installed and 6 studded snow tires so if we encounter snow and ice we won't be stuck. It is common to have snow in the passes in the winter. We got caught by a massive snow storm about 9 years ago with our TT. Fortunately, I had Hensley Arrow hitch and I had a one ton truck 4x4 with studded snow tires. Otherwise we could not have made it home. We have had many fun times camping in the fall winter. Usually we do not go anywhere if there is lowland snow predicted but it can happen at any time and we try to be as prepared as possible. If Jayco had a 4x4 version of my motorhome I would have bought that. Funny that Jayco now has a 4x4 Melbourne but it doesn't have bunks so it won't work for us.

Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
We bought our TT in September and decided instead of parking it for the winter that we would keep it up in the nearby by Pocono mountains. Our campground has no water during the winter months so I've completely winterized my plumbing. We utilize the bath house nearby for showers and potty. My sewer hose is hooked up for any times the temps are expected to stay above freezing in order to use sinks but we don't use the toilet at all. We go just for weekends and I put more antifreeze in the p-traps if we've poured anything in the sinks at all.

Expecting temps to hit a low of 12 this weekend so we'll see just how effective that furnace is. I STILL remember the dealer telling me I wouldn't need an Arctic package because no one camps in the winter. Sigh.

2013 32BHDS
2009 F250 6.4L Diesel
Sixpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Thank you for the information. We are new to camping in a travel trailer, but have learned so much by all the campers we have met over the last few months.
acbgrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
We did ours for the first time yesterday afternoon, it was kind of weird since it was in the upper 70's in DFW but it's in the low 30's now and should be in the low 20's tonight.

It was really easy (once we got all the valves correct) just went through the entire trailer opening faucets until it turned pink then poured the remainder of the 2 gallons in the drains.

Just a note don't forget about the outdoor shower or kitchen, we almost did.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
I have read the question and all of the replys. Good info for sure. I have a question. If you are living in your RV and the temp drops below freezing into the high teens and low twentys for a few hours, can you not put RV Antifreeze into your black tank to prevent it from freezing? My daughter and son-in-law will winter in the Charlotte, NC area and live in their camper. No Artic package on the unit. They will have city water. The fresh water tank will be empty and the grey tank will be left open. They can run the water heater off and on to keep it from freezing. The furnace will be run as needed to keep the unit liveable. I have winterized the water hose with electrical heater tape and insulation. We are hoping for the best as the temps are not as bad as further North. Might have to get a dehumidifier for the condensation.

mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote