Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Winter Dry Camping

I have a 2003 Kiwi 23B Hybrid. It has exposed FW, B & G tanks. It is a great 3 season trailer as it sits.
I want to set it up to go "dry" camping in subfreezing temperatures (with the sides up!), but am a bit concerned about cold related problems. I've been researching it and have found that if I have an extra $1300 or so dollars sitting around I can get a set-up from UltraHeat that would take care of all my frozen liquid concerns - if I have enough battery power to keep everything running.
The problem is I don't have $1300 sitting around and I only have a single 27M battery.
So, does the minimalist just use a tank heater on the FW tank and then coat that tank with a material like "auto undercoating/roofing tar" (also protecting cold tank from rock strikes when towing); pour a couple of gallons of windshield washer fluid into the black tank; and leave the grey water tank open all the time (or do the windshield fluid trick in there also)? If so, I think I'm still going to need to add a generator to the mix or just the single tank heater is going to use up my battery juice pretty quickly...
Thoughts? Opinions? (Crazy is an acceptable opinion...)

2003 Kiwi 23B/2007 FJ Cruiser
VicBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Team

VicBlaze, I can`t answer your Winter dry camping and Ultraheat questions but I can welcome you to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

DOH! I should have put this in Hybrid Travel Trailers... typical newbie....

2003 Kiwi 23B/2007 FJ Cruiser
VicBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote