Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Winter Moisture Control

We're all done with the trailer for the season and it's already winterized with antifreeze and parked in our driveway for the cold, snowy winter. I'm planning on leaving the battery in and having it connected to shore power all winter. Since my unit is a 2014 does that mean there is a built in battery tender in the converter?

Anyways, here are my moisture related questions:

1.) I have 2 tubs of Damp Rid opened up, and my one and only roof vent will be left open all winter (MaxAir cover). Should I crack any of the other windows for a cross-flow of air? Or should I keep them all shut since I have Damp Rid in there?

2.) My trailer is 19 feet long. Is 2 tubs of Damp Rid enough?

3.) I have my containers on the counter and table. Should they maybe go on the floor to be most effective or does it not matter?

Thanks, and any other winter related tips are much appreciated!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

My comment as to Damp Rid and venting is that you probably need to choose one mode or the other. The Damp Rid can only absorb so much moisture. If you leave a vent open then essentially you are trying to dry out the world with that dessicant. I think that you can imagine how effective that will be.

My mode for decades with my boat storage over winter, and now with my travel trailer is to open all inside cabinets and hatches and leave a vent open to the air as you describe with your protected vent. That works in my area of the northeast because it gets pretty dry in winter. I have never bothered with a dessicant. Other more humid areas of the country may need a different response for winter storage.

Just my opinion. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

If you are using Damp-Rid, I would close the vents and windows. Otherwise the damp rid will be drawing in moisture from outside. Being it is parked at your place two tubs should be enough as you can check the containers during the winter.

I just leave a vent cracked open a ½” (maxair cover), so the TT can breath. Our family been doing this for years with no issue.

Your 2014 should have a good built in battery tender. You do not mention where you live. If you live where it gets really cold, I would bring the battery in so it cannot freeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

I have never used Damp-Rid but I do use Dri-Z-Air sounds like the same thing but I put the tubs in a dishpan just in case they get full or somebody was to bump them the water that is in there is kind of oiley and will make a mess if spilled. but like said I have all windows and vents closed and check the tubs 2 to 3 times thru the winter.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Site Team

I keep mine closed up with a dehumidifier running. I dump the water every week or so when it is not in use.

They are an inexpensive addition if you have an ac power source. Got it at Lowes several years ago.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #6

We leave our vent (Maxx Air) cracked open as well with no desiccant. Watch the humidity in your area. Usually there is lower moisure content in the air in the winter than during the summer months. I'm with VicS1950 pick one way or the other, you'll be fine either way.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #7

Before we retired we had to winterize and store our trailers in the yard. We would do the plumbing, empty the frige and prop the doors open, empty the food cupboards and lock the door. It rains and snows in North Idaho and we never had a moisture problem.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
... It rains and snows in North Idaho and we never had a moisture problem.
I should clarify my comment.
"That works in my area of the northeast because it gets pretty dry in winter."

We get lots of rain and snow over the winter too, but during the colder time of the winter ( 0F and lower range) it is amazing how much things dry out. The frigid air seems to suck the moisture out over time. As long as there is no water intrusion, boats and trailers in storage here dry out over the winter. That may not be true if the area temperatures don't get as low as ours do.

vic
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
I have never used Damp-Rid but I do use Dri-Z-Air sounds like the same thing but I put the tubs in a dishpan just in case they get full or somebody was to bump them the water that is in there is kind of oiley and will make a mess if spilled. but like said I have all windows and vents closed and check the tubs 2 to 3 times thru the winter.
I use dri-z-air as well. one tub in the sink and the other in the tub. I usually empty them outside once a month and replace the granular when needed. I keep the trailer sealed up. Worked well last year. I've already drained them once this year.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. Since I already purchased the Damp Rid and have the containers in the trailer, I'm going to close it all up. I like the idea of having good ventilation and a crossbreeze through the interior, but I don't want to risk snow/rain coming through an open window. I bought a hygrometer for the trailer and will watch the % humidity closely.

I live in Northern Ontario and it does get quite cold here. Sometimes -30*C. Am I still OK to leave the battery on the trailer and keep shore power connected?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I live in Northern Ontario and it does get quite cold here. Sometimes -30*C. Am I still OK to leave the battery on the trailer and keep shore power connected?
My vote is yes. Especially with the newer style staged converter/chargers. That said, if the trailer is where you can monitor it I would plug a light duty extension cord into a trailer receptacle, hang the end near a window and plug in an LED night light. That way you can monitor that the AC power remains on. If the battery loses charge it can freeze and ruin the battery. If you lose AC power the propane detector can drain drain your battery power down. Without an indicator light you will have no clue that the AC power was off and not charging.

An indicator light doesn't monitor the charger, but it is cheap, easy, and better than nothin'. vic
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #12

I have always closed the camper up tight and put in a storage shed...never left a vent open or used anything else.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #13

We use an old dehumidifier and keep our bathroom vent cracked open a bit. After 3 years trailer still smells new. We dump out about a quart of water every 2-3 weeks.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

Your 2014 should have a good built in battery tender. You do not mention where you live. If you live where it gets really cold, I would bring the battery in so it cannot freeze.
Never thought about the battery freezing... I plan on using my TT through the winter in NH. It gets pretty cold and snowy, is this going to be a problem for me?

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
Never thought about the battery freezing... I plan on using my TT through the winter in NH. It gets pretty cold and snowy, is this going to be a problem for me?
A charged battery won't freeze unless it is extremely cold because the acid concentration in the electrolyte remains high. The problems begin when the battery isn't charged.

Do you have shore power to keep the converter/charger working? That will keep the battery up.

You don't want any 12 volt loads left on. If you lose shore power then any 12 volt loads will kill your battery that much quicker. Any time you draw your battery(s) down below 50% charge you reduce the service life of the battery unnecessarily.

Even with shore power charging I would consider disconnecting the propane leak detector when gone for extended periods of time. The propane leak detector is a constant drain. Some people install a main battery disconnect switch. If you do that you need to provide some way to keep the charger (or a charger) connected though.

Another thing to double check is to make certain that the TV antenna amplifier is switched off. Most which I've seen don't have an indicator light for "on" mode. The only clue is the switch position.

vic
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I should clarify my comment.
"That works in my area of the northeast because it gets pretty dry in winter."

We get lots of rain and snow over the winter too, but during the colder time of the winter ( 0F and lower range) it is amazing how much things dry out. The frigid air seems to suck the moisture out over time. As long as there is no water intrusion, boats and trailers in storage here dry out over the winter. That may not be true if the area temperatures don't get as low as ours do.

vic

People leave their trailers here in Az for the hot dry summer. A good coating of furniture oil on the wood and several jugs of water seems to keep things together.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
People leave their trailers here in Az for the hot dry summer. A good coating of furniture oil on the wood and several jugs of water seems to keep things together.
It certainly doesn't get that dry over winter here in Niagara Falls, NY. The really cold temperatures do dry things out, but then our wet Spring brings levels back to more normal again. Any wet core areas in boats which are opened up for the winter will be dried out come Spring as long as they are properly protected from water intrusion.

Things don't end up so dry as to need extra jugs of moisture as you describe. Wow. That's the other end of the spectrum from us. As I said, different areas will have different storage issues. vic
Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
It certainly doesn't get that dry over winter here in Niagara Falls, NY. The really cold temperatures do dry things out, but then our wet Spring brings levels back to more normal again. Any wet core areas in boats which are opened up for the winter will be dried out come Spring as long as they are properly protected from water intrusion.

Things don't end up so dry as to need extra jugs of moisture as you describe. Wow. That's the other end of the spectrum from us. As I said, different areas will have different storage issues. vic
Yes, every area has it's own special circumstances.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #19

Keeping the battery connected has not been a problem for me with my smart mode converter/charger on-board system. I would do a scheduled check however for battery fluids. Some on the older single mode converter/chargers may boil out your battery fluids over time... I have two trailers connected to my house garage separate 120VAC receptacle 20AMPS circuits using 10-gauge 50-foot HD extension cords when not on the road.

A charged up battery will standup to very low temperatures if fully charged.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Keeping the battery connected has not been a problem for me with my smart mode converter/charger on-board system. I would do a scheduled check however for battery fluids. Some on the older single mode converter/chargers may boil out your battery fluids over time... I have two trailers connected to my house garage separate 120VAC receptacle 20AMPS circuits using 10-gauge 50-foot HD extension cords when not on the road.

A charged up battery will standup to very low temperatures if fully charged.

Roy Ken
Thanks Roy, I think I should be ok then as the trailer and battery are brand new. With my old trailer I would take the battery off and put in on a tender in the garage, but with the new trailer we are attempting winter camping. I am going to test out using water over the winter but plan to winterize at the end of every weekend. I winterized yesterday using 1 and 1/2 gallons and only about 10/15 min. Hoping to get it down to less antifreeze and less time. The time is waiting for the water system to drain. This winter camping will be a new learning experience for sure. We will be in the lakes region of NH near lake ossipie.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote