Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Winterize in Texas?

Good morning -

We will be taking delivery of our new Jay Flight 32 BHDS around end of December.

Here in Central Texas we camp year-round but there will be cold fronts that can drop temps to the teens and 20s for a few days at a time.

My question is: how do folks in Texas protect their water lines from freezing since we don't have a long winter "off-season" like folks in severely cold climates?

Do you just do multiple adds/flushes of anti-freeze in between trips throughout the winter if the camper will not be stored the entire winter season?

NOTE: we will have the Thermal package (heated and enclosed underbelly).

Many thanks,
Dave
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

We have had our TT only one year, but I just opened the low point drains, blew out the lines with air and then poured some windshield wiper fluid in the toilet (to keep the seal moist) and sinks (to displace water in the p-traps). We are in Dallas so it can get cold sometimes..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Just drain the lines and the water heater... don't forget to check and see if you have a small filter in front of the water pump that needs draining too. A little water in the line will not hurt anything it is when the line is full and the freezing water expands that causes problems... if the line is mostly drained then any water in it that freezes will take the path of least resistance and just go along the pipe..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Congrats on the new TT "dsmith"! We've been an owner since September of 2011 and are now on our second trailer. Here in the Houston area I only blew out the lines of the X23B and drained the water heater. I guess I'm a little more paranoid now and last winter I used anti-freeze after draining everything. The 351 is easy to winterize since it has a central water control panel and everything I need except the low point and water heater drains are right there. We've camped in weather down to the mid 20's and haven't had any freezing issues.
Tex and Sean are probably right in clearing the lines would be sufficient. When you have the TT out after the first good freeze take a survey for leaks when you pressure up the water system.
Enjoy the new TT!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

I blow out the lines and add some RV antifreeze to the toilet, sink p-traps and don't forget the outdoor shower. It needs to be done too. Also make sure to empty your fresh water tank and water heater.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Winterizing

I live in the midlands of SC which is not known for harsh winters but below freezing temps do happen. You will need to depress your toilet flush handle and prop it open while blowing the lines. I had to replace the water inlet value (small plastic value) in my unit because it traps water if not opened during winterizing.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

Appreciate reading all the responses. The following text was taken directly from 2015 Jay Flight Owners manual which I found online this afternoon.

It mentions blowing out the lines using air compressor (the other method of course is using RV anti-freeze). The air compressor method seems much more practical for folks in climates who will continue to use their RV throughout the winter months.

There are two methods of winterizing your trailer based upon your model. Please read, understand and follow all instructions before beginning.

Air Pressure

This method will utilize an air hose to blow excess water from the water lines.
1. Make sure all holding tanks are empty and drain valves OPEN.
2. Run the water pump until it is dry, this will take approximately 15-20 seconds.
3. OPEN all faucets and drains, and the toilet.
4. Using an air hose and adapter (customer supplied), blow air through the city water connection. Any remaining water will blow out in five to ten minutes.
5. Pour one cup of non-toxic RV antifreeze into all drain P-traps.
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #8

Is there a place where you can buy the adapter to use air pressure, or do you guys just make your own? How much air pressure do you use to clear the lines?
Thanks

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #9

Winterizing

You can get the adapter from any camping world and mabey Wal-Mart has them. It screws into your city water hose inlet and it has a value stem to let the air in. I use 40 to 60 psi.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
You can get the adapter from any camping world and mabey Wal-Mart has them. It screws into your city water hose inlet and it has a value stem to let the air in. I use 40 to 60 psi.
Thanks - love this forum!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #11

They make the adapter in both plastic and brass. I went with brass thinking it would last longer. Just be careful with the air pressure. I use about 40 psi. Here's what Camco says with their brass blow-out plug:

"How it Works
Drain your water lines as much as possible. Once water is no longer flowing, make sure all your faucets are open and totally on. Thread the blow out plug into your RVs city water inlet and attach the oil-less air compressor to the brass quick connect. Turn the air compressor on a low pressure setting and slowly increase pressure. Do not exceed 50 psi. Once your lines are empty, remove the RV Blow Out Plug with Quick Connect and replace the cap onto your city water inlet."

I also stumbled across this post in the Jayco Journal:

http://blog.jayco.com/winterizing-yo...umbing-system/

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

Personally I have no use for blowing out the lines. We had a mobile home on our property back in the late 80s and blew the lines when we left for the summer. I guess there was always a low spot or three along the lines, because there was never a spring that enough water hadn't accumulated to freeze, swell and crack the PVC. If air works for those using it, fine. But since we have to use the pink juice for P traps, etc., what's a couple more bucks for insurance?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Personally I have no use for blowing out the lines. We had a mobile home on our property back in the late 80s and blew the lines when we left for the summer. I guess there was always a low spot or three along the lines, because there was never a spring that enough water hadn't accumulated to freeze, swell and crack the PVC. If air works for those using it, fine. But since we have to use the pink juice for P traps, etc., what's a couple more bucks for insurance?
Just so I'm making myself clear to folks reading along...

My developing preference for "air method" over "RV anti-freeze" is based on convenience and practicality...not cost.

We will use our TT year-round (it will not be stored during winter months) so it doesn't seem to make sense to winterize the fresh-water system with RV anti-freeze. Otherwise our winter camping would be continuous cycle of winterize after use, de-winterize before use, winterize again when done, etc., etc. Is that really what some folks do?

If there is a more convenient and effective method than "air pressure" for folks who continue to use their trailers during the winter, please share.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #14

It's what I do, yes. We winterize around Labor Day, then camp, rewinterize. Same in spring. I'm in the camper using the antifreeze for drains, what's easier than pulling out my suction hose and sticking it into the bottle? No compressor and hose to mess with. I'm done in what, five minutes? As I said, if it works to use air, fine. I just don't care to risk a repeat of my prior experiences.
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
It's what I do, yes. We winterize around Labor Day, then camp, rewinterize. Same in spring. I'm in the camper using the antifreeze for drains, what's easier than pulling out my suction hose and sticking it into the bottle? No compressor and hose to mess with. I'm done in what, five minutes? As I said, if it works to use air, fine. I just don't care to risk a repeat of my prior experiences.
Thanks, cekkk. The Jayco manual does say to pour RV anti-freeze in the P-traps and toilet after blowing out the water so there is some anti-freeze involved in the "air pressure" method.

What about the process of flushing out all the RV anti-freeze when you want to use it during the winter (i.e., the de-winterize process)? I've read that it takes a long time (some report weeks) to get rid of the "anti-freeze" smell/taste from the fresh water system.

What process do you go through to prepare to go camping during the winter once you've already winterized the RV using the "RV anti-freeze" method?

This will be our first travel trailer so I don't have any personal experience using either winterizing method.

Thanks again,
Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #16

We are in the DFW area and blow it out pretty much every time we get back from a trip. I don't want stagnant water in the trailer.

We have the brass blow out fitting and a 20g air compressor in the shop and blowout the trailer in a few minutes.
When we head for home we open all the drain valves. When we get home we hook up the compressor (set at about 45ish lbs) and blow out the LP drains completely then all the faucets inside and out, then repeat the LP drains.
If it's after Nov.1 we put some AF in all the traps.

If there is going to be a hard freeze we go ahead and winterize the trailer even if we will be using the trailer soon.

I figure a little time and a few bucks of Antifreeze is cheaper than finding and then replacing a split line or fixture.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

I just use the outside shower to empty the fresh water tank as much as I can, and then leave the heat pump on all winter with the thermostat set to 50 degrees.

No problems so far.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
...If it's after Nov.1 we put some AF in all the traps. If there is going to be a hard freeze we go ahead and winterize the trailer even if we will be using the trailer soon. I figure a little time and a few bucks of Antifreeze is cheaper than finding and then replacing a split line or fixture.
Is there a problem with anti-freeze causing bad smell or taste to fresh water system? Does it require treatment (e.g., vinegar or bleach mixture) to eliminate the smell/taste before the fresh water tank can be filled up and used?
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
Is there a problem with anti-freeze causing bad smell or taste to fresh water system? Does it require treatment (e.g., vinegar or bleach mixture) to eliminate the smell/taste before the fresh water tank can be filled up and used?
We always use RV Antifreeze and have never had a problem. Let me add a disclaimer though; we always use bottled water for anything we consume, cooking, coffee, brushing our teeth and so on.

I have no idea where the water comes from at the park.
We always rinse the faucet before we hookup and one time it ran a rusty brown for a few seconds before it cleared. I don't mind taking a shower in it but I'm not gonna drink it.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We always use RV Antifreeze and have never had a problem. Let me add a disclaimer though; we always use bottled water for anything we consume, cooking, coffee, brushing our teeth and so on.

I have no idea where the water comes from at the park.
We always rinse the faucet before we hookup and one time it ran a rusty brown for a few seconds before it cleared. I don't mind taking a shower in it but I'm not gonna drink it.
We do pretty much the same, lots of bottled water, even for the dogs. However, we've used park water for cooking spaghetti and the like without problems. But we do use two filters, one being the Flow Pur softener.

As for flushing the pink from the lines, we take no special steps. It's pretty much just the opposite of winterizing. We run fresh through until the pink is gone.
'14 Denali XL