Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Winterizing?

Not ready to pack it in yet for the season, but does anyone know where the pipe conections for winterizing is, on the Whitehawk 23mbh ? Thanks in advance!
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

There should be an access panel to get to the rear of the water heater. There you will see the bypass valves. Under the main sink below the shelf there should be a panel held in place by two screws to allow access to the water pump. There you should have a bypass valve with an extra tube to allow you to suction RV antifreeze directly into the lines.
Make sure you drain everything (water tank, holding tanks, hot water tank, all the water lines) first. Outside the low point drains should be clearly marked. Make sure to drain them all. If you have the means utilize an air compressor (set at working line pressure not exceeding 50PSI) to blow out all the lines.
Close all the drains and add the RV antifreeze. Dont forget to dump some in the drains and in the toilet. There is no need to add any to the main water tank.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

One thing I do when possible is take the sink traps off and drain them before putting some antifreeze in.

After draining all the water, I use an air compressor to blow the lines out, then drain the traps, pump antifreeze through, and blow lines out again. Then pour antifreeze down the drains/toilet.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I'll have a look when the time comes for the connections. The hint for the compressor is a handy one. Didn't know about that. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #5

Sad thing is before we know it the time will be here to winterize!!!

As for the air compressor, I usually take my time blowing the lines out. Going from faucet to faucet, letting each run for at least a few minutes. Then go back around again. My thinking is the less water in the lines, the less antifreeze it takes to reach a strong enough mix to protect from freezing. Not sure why I started blowing the lines out after pumping the antifreeze, maybe to have the much more in the traps/ holding tanks???

Guess that will mean it's time to get the sleds out shortly after! Lol

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Sad thing is before we know it the time will be here to winterize!!!

As for the air compressor, I usually take my time blowing the lines out. Going from faucet to faucet, letting each run for at least a few minutes. Then go back around again. My thinking is the less water in the lines, the less antifreeze it takes to reach a strong enough mix to protect from freezing. Not sure why I started blowing the lines out after pumping the antifreeze, maybe to have the much more in the traps/ holding tanks???

Guess that will mean it's time to get the sleds out shortly after! Lol
X2 on the above except I don't use the pink stuff. Just drain everything as described, then close up the drains and blow out the lines carefully going from fixture to fixture. Take the shower wand off at the faucet and drain the hose. Make sure to blow out the water line feeding the toilet and the outside shower. Then pour a cup or 2 of pink stuff in the sink and shower drains and onto toilet seal. Close it up and your done. You can still use your RV without rewinterizing as long as you don't put water back into the lines. If you do, the process to rewinterize only takes about 15 minutes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

It takes me a good long afternoon to winterize, but that also includes cleaning out everything that may be of interest to the rodent population and giving everything a good scrubbing. I drain the plumbing the best I can, then blow out the lines with the air compressor. I then pump the pink stuff through it all, then blow that out as well. It's twice the work, but that way I know there's no water left in there. Winters around here can get to -30* for extended periods of time, so I'd rather spend the time in the fall to make sure everything is done properly, than spend the money in the spring to repair the damage from the burst lines. This method has served me well with our old hybrid, so I see no reason to do otherwise with the new trailer.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Thank you again for the helpful information, I'll be sure to give the lines a good cleaning when the time comes.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2 on the above except I don't use the pink stuff. Just drain everything as described, then close up the drains and blow out the lines carefully going from fixture to fixture. Take the shower wand off at the faucet and drain the hose. Make sure to blow out the water line feeding the toilet and the outside shower. Then pour a cup or 2 of pink stuff in the sink and shower drains and onto toilet seal. Close it up and your done. You can still use your RV without rewinterizing as long as you don't put water back into the lines. If you do, the process to rewinterize only takes about 15 minutes.
Above is exactly what I do when the time comes.

Dan
Old 08-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

I do not have an air compressor so I simply drain all lines using the low point drains. I also drain the water heater using the plug. I then use the hose supplied to pump pink antifreeze into my lines....I make sure that all taps are seeing the pink stuff and then turn off. Same with the showers both inside and outside. I do the same with the toilet as I flush until the shows. I then pour antifreeze into the shower drain, sink drain and toilet.

I never took the battery out of the trailer as well, I simply ensured that it was fully charged and turned off all the power going to the battery and locked up my trailer.

This is in an area that has -40 below C temps during the winter and I had no damage and my battery was fine.

Just make sure that you empty the lines and that you by pass the water heater or you will need a lot of antifreeze.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

Thank you Bookemdanno and sask934. Any other advice for winterizing is appreciated. A friend with a trailer scatters dryer sheets inside to keep rodents out. Also places bowls of salt in the fridge and freezer to keep the moisture down during the winter months.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:50 AM   #12

This will be my first year with an electric heating element in the water heater. I think I read somewhere in the Atwood manual that they recommend flushing the WH tank seasonally, to maximize the lifespan of the electric element. That will add some time to my winterize process
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #13

my work schedule has gone up to 60 hours a week recently and hope to have the time to get it done. anyone ever take it to dealer to have it done for them? I hope to have a seasonal site by end of september but otherwise would be just a simple 45 min trip to dealer.
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerg View Post
my work schedule has gone up to 60 hours a week recently and hope to have the time to get it done. anyone ever take it to dealer to have it done for them? I hope to have a seasonal site by end of september but otherwise would be just a simple 45 min trip to dealer.
Start to finish the process takes less than 30 minutes even if you stop for a cold drink. That drive to the dealer and again for the pickup has to take a ton more time and expense. Sounds like maybe you're skidish about taking this on. Don't be, its not rocket science. If necessary its not a bad idea to get a friend who has some experience to come over and walk you thru it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote