Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #1

Winterizing 33 rlds

First time-New TT-Started to winterize TT today, read all threads that I could find dealing with winterization, might have missed a few threads but still have a question: After putting antifreeze thru the system I went outside and opened the city water connection, pulled the screen and pushed the little knob inside but all I had come out was a dribble of water and no pink stuff-is this OK? Also tryed to push the knob again but seams like it will not reset, have I done something wrong? Also nothing comes out of the low point drains would this be a issue?

Thanks for the help - Ron
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4
2012 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 33 RLDS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - RETIRED
SPUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Ron.....You need to have the trailer pump running to blow antifreeze out the city water connection. I'm a newby as well when it comes to that release valve in the city water connection. Mine won't reset now. You and I probably pushed the knob while the water system was still under pressure....that is what blows the seal/Oring and prevents the connection from being reset. Here's what my knowledgable service tech told me to do. Suck the pink anti freeze though all the system in the usual way. When finished with all the taps, toilet etc, turn off pump. Then open a sink tap and release any remaining pressure in the lines.....close tap. Two sets of hands are now needed. One person goes to the city water connection and gently holds the white release valve open......Stand back......the second person turns on the pump till antifreeze comes out the city water connection. Turn off pump....let go of white button. Seal should not be blown and button returns to its original position. My tech guy gave me a complete new city water connection to replace the one in my Jayco. About $50 Canadian if I was to buy one. As I'm on a seasonal site and not moving around, I can hook up the city water system next spring and use the defective connection till I need the pump on, say with the fresh water tank or when I need to winterize next year. I'll put in the new connection as time permits....doesn't look too complicated. Apparently there is a way to reset the blown seal/Oring from the back side of the city water connection, but I haven't been able to find the procedure yet. By the way, I have the 2012 Eagle Lite 29 RLDS floor plan which I like very much.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Did you have the low point drains closed when you pumped the antifreeze through the water system?

If you had have antifreeze running from each faucet, toilet, etc. you would have pumped it through all of the lines and antifreeze should come out of the low point drains. Try opening a hot and a cold water faucet near the low point drain, then open the low point drain. Does any antifreeze come out of the drain now? Air (or water) needs to replace the antifreeze in the water line.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

YEP-that is what I did. Is there anyone that knows how to go about and reset the o-ring on the outside city water connection? tlhdoc-no I had the low point drains closed when running pink thru the sink, toilet, sink, shower and outside shower. I then got my wife and had her turn the pump on while I went outside and opened the pow point drains but nothing. Would it be because I pushed the plunger on the city water while under pressure will check again tonight.

Thanks
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4
2012 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 33 RLDS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - RETIRED
SPUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

You don't need the pump on to drain the antifreeze from the low point drains. Just open the low point drain and a faucet or two. I have pushed the plunger when the pump was on (I won't do that again), but luckily it did not cause any problems. Now I do it with the system under pressure and the pump off.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Ron. Here's the answers we need when it comes to check valves.. Read this thread on the Woodall's Forum regarding the check valve problem. http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...d/26538470.cfm

I'm going to order one of those better quality check valves they mentioned. http://www.lowes.com/pd_103896-33599...lve&facetInfo=
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote