Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #21

Lot's of senior members here with experience, which is great.
1. water lines - run antifreeze 'till pink comes out
2. shower hand wands inside and out - run them until pink, or just take them off and store in bathtub. be sure the outside shower faucet runs pink too.
3. drain traps - add some antifreeze in each sink, shower drain and toilet. a cup or two should be all you need.
4. waterheater - drain and bypass. cycle the inlet (cold water) valve on the bypass set up to get some pink in that section of line, don't fill the water heater. This trick won't work with the hot water line as there is usually a check valve.
5. black water tank - dump and flush as best as possible. any residual water will evaporate leaving the solids to further solidify, therefore flush well. no need for anti-freeze.
6. fresh water and grey water tanks - dump/drain and leave them. Again, no need for anti-freeze.
7. battery - fully charge prior to removal, remove and store where it wont freeze and don't store on concrete. Keep cell caps on. Don't leave it on a trickle charge all winter as the water may evaporate. Every two months or so, put it on a charger for a day. Prior to camping season, charge it again before you reinstall it on your trailer.

Errors on my part over the years:
- forgot to winterize the outside shower. hose burst the next year and flooded the floor.
- left the batteries on the trailer. CO monitor drained and dried the batteries.

Where I live near Puget Sound, I no longer use anti-freeze, as it doesn't get cold enough, long enough. I just blow all my lines with air. I set my compressor to 50psi, and use an adapter for the city water connection.

Tim
2008 26BHS
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #22

I wouldn't worry about a small amount of water in the tanks. It won't expand when frozen to the point where it will damage the tanks. As for the battery, I might suggest that you connect the battery to a good battery minder. It will save you the trouble of having to charge the battery on a regular basis during the off-season. It's not a good idea to let the battery run down to a dead condition.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
First time winterizing a TT. Luckily for me the previous owners left a detailed note of how to winterize. It literally took me a few minutes. Here is what I did.
drained water heater, drained black and grey tanks, opened low point drains. Pumped antifreeze through all faucets bypassing water heater until they ran pink. Including outside shower. Poured antifreeze into black tank because I noticed even after emptying it there was still some water left inside. Did I miss anything?
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot the outside shower! We never use it so I forget it is there.

Off to get another gallon of antifreeze.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #24

my rv is stored in midwest kansas city area, should I winterize now or I still have a few more weeks of camping?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
First time winterizing a TT. Luckily for me the previous owners left a detailed note of how to winterize. It literally took me a few minutes. Here is what I did.
drained water heater, drained black and grey tanks, opened low point drains. Pumped antifreeze through all faucets bypassing water heater until they ran pink. Including outside shower. Poured antifreeze into black tank because I noticed even after emptying it there was still some water left inside. Did I miss anything?
for
yup, drain hot water tank, remove battery and check regularly for full charge and cahrge as necessary. I also added DriZair container in a icecream bucket for moisture control. I also cover the trailer and the tires.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #26

I have done everything everyone has suggested but have not put any antifreeze in the toilet. Don't laugh but I am worried about staining the toilet bowl as this is my 1st time as well.

Dave
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #27

Should you use a hand pump to push water through city water connection? On my RV, a valve shuts off the water inlet so you can pull from the antifreeze jug near pump. Seems to me that it blocks off a long section of water hose.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #28

What does one accomplish from dumping anti freeze into toilet bowl? Mine is a straight drop to black tank, and no trap.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #29

^^ Really all you are accomplishing is to cover the seal in the bowl to prevent it from drying out.
Did everyone know that our RV antifreeze actually does freeze? It just doesn't expand like water….. I was actually in our trailer last year during the winter and saw the antifreeze solid as a popsicle in the toilet bowl and freaked out.. turns out it is more about burst protection than freezing..

Ross..
Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
What does one accomplish from dumping anti freeze into toilet bowl? Mine is a straight drop to black tank, and no trap.
It keeps the flush valve seals from drying out.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #31

Do I pull batteries when they are on charger

I have a 2008 24RKS in all but new condition and new to me this summer. It is parked in my back yard in Salt Lake where the temps get down to 10 degrees.

a) Do I remove the batteries if the trailer and charger are plugged into the house?

b) For protecting the fresh water lines from freezing, I don't like putting in antifreeze and my previous trailer of 18 years did not ever get it and was fine. I can taste the antifreeze after it has been flushed. Can I just blow it out with a compressor and open all low point drains? Then pour A/F into the drains? Previous owner had the antifreeze hose intake installed at the pump but I am not sure if I want to use them.

---------------------------------------------
2001 Yukon 5.3L with Bilstein auto level shocks
2008 Jayco 24RKS
1996 Aerolite 21RBS - For Sale
marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
I have a 2008 24RKS in all but new condition and new to me this summer. It is parked in my back yard in Salt Lake where the temps get down to 10 degrees.

a) Do I remove the batteries if the trailer and charger are plugged into the house?

b) For protecting the fresh water lines from freezing, I don't like putting in antifreeze and my previous trailer of 18 years did not ever get it and was fine. I can taste the antifreeze after it has been flushed. Can I just blow it out with a compressor and open all low point drains? Then pour A/F into the drains? Previous owner had the antifreeze hose intake installed at the pump but I am not sure if I want to use them.

---------------------------------------------
2001 Yukon 5.3L with Bilstein auto level shocks
2008 Jayco 24RKS
1996 Aerolite 21RBS - For Sale

If it were me, I'd pull the batteries and keep them indoors. Even on a charger, the battery can weaken from extreme cold temps. Just my opinion.

As far as winterizing, I hear blowing the lines out good should suffice. Although I've never taken this approach with my PUP. This is the first year for the trailer I have now so I'll be putting AF in the lines...like I did with my PUP. If it is done correctly and de-winterized properly, you SHOULDN'T have residue from the antifreeze. Open the low point drains and drain the system completely (HWH, tanks, etc.). You shouldn't have to put AF in the HWH or the tanks. If drained good, there should be plenty of room for expansion of frozen residual water in the HWH and tanks. Keep the AF within the lines only. As well as in the toilet bowl and P traps.

Again, just my opinions. Good luck to you!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #33

I have a 2012 Jay Series Pop-Up. This is our 2nd summer with it. Live in Minnesota, where we get below zero temps from time to time, so must protect it from the cold! I have an issue with the water pump (possibly) when I try to winterize...

Every site I look at for winterizing, shows using maybe 2 gallons of AF. Hook the bottle to the water pump via the clear hose, etc… But, when I do this, I am not able to get the pink AF to come through my sink or shower. Water pump pulls in a small amount of pink AF, but not enough to get to the sink.
Last year, I had to fill the FWT with AF and pull the AF to the sink with the water pump that way.

Is there anything I am missing in regards to using the water pump (and hose)? Water pump seems to work fine during the summer w/ water.
Any advice would be appreciated!
scottriggs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottriggs6 View Post
I have a 2012 Jay Series Pop-Up. This is our 2nd summer with it. Live in Minnesota, where we get below zero temps from time to time, so must protect it from the cold! I have an issue with the water pump (possibly) when I try to winterize...

Every site I look at for winterizing, shows using maybe 2 gallons of AF. Hook the bottle to the water pump via the clear hose, etc… But, when I do this, I am not able to get the pink AF to come through my sink or shower. Water pump pulls in a small amount of pink AF, but not enough to get to the sink.
Last year, I had to fill the FWT with AF and pull the AF to the sink with the water pump that way.

Is there anything I am missing in regards to using the water pump (and hose)? Water pump seems to work fine during the summer w/ water.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Are your faucets open or closed? The reason I ask is, I left them open when I had my PUP. I'm not sure if the lift pump wasn't strong enough or what but I had the same problem with my Coleman. I would have them closed and tried winterizing it that way per instructions and the AF never made it up to the faucets. I opened them with the pump running and they'd eventually get pink running through. Not sure if that is the reason with yours. You could always HAND pump it through the system as well.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #35

Winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Are your faucets open or closed? The reason I ask is, I left them open when I had my PUP. I'm not sure if the lift pump wasn't strong enough or what but I had the same problem with my Coleman. I would have them closed and tried winterizing it that way per instructions and the AF never made it up to the faucets. I opened them with the pump running and they'd eventually get pink running through. Not sure if that is the reason with yours. You could always HAND pump it through the system as well.
I will check again to be sure.

I believe I started the process with the WP on (with the hose in the AF jug), and with the faucets off. Then, I turned the faucets on (and, nothing came out).

I will try it with the WP on and faucets on (and, leave them on for a bit).

Thanks, TWP723!
scottriggs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottriggs6 View Post
I will check again to be sure.

I believe I started the process with the WP on (with the hose in the AF jug), and with the faucets off. Then, I turned the faucets on (and, nothing came out).

I will try it with the WP on and faucets on (and, leave them on for a bit).

Thanks, TWP723!

Yeah man! Good luck. Let me know if it works!